Head covering for heavy sweaters (Read 41 times)

Marylander

I'm always on the look out for something to put on my head to deal with the sweat. I've done the work to determine my sweat rate on a hot/humid day and it's pretty ridiculous (19 fl oz per mile). A lot of sweat runs into my eyes and being bald doesn't help here at all. I've tried all the options I could find to deal with this: Gut'r and similar sweat diverters (not too bad but not great); Buffs and similar (brand name ones are expensive, saturated too quickly); cycling caps (not bad as the sweat can be sent in different directions depending on if the bill is up or down, last pretty long until the saturation is too much); running hats, e.g., Headsweats (cycling caps are better); Halo headband (combines diverters with fabric to absorb sweat, expensive, saturated too quickly); cheap cotton headbands ($1 each or less, saturate quickly but useful on treadmill where I swap 1 per mile); and on and on.

I always carry a microfiber cloth with me when I run to wipe my face and for emergency use. I have at times tied them like a bandana and they work well to keep the sweat at bay but they're small (16"x16") so I've got to tie them really tight making them uncomfortable. I was in Home Depot recently and saw some "Microfiber Grouting, Cleaning and Polishing Cloth for Multi-Surface Use". These are 18"x18" so fit my L head pretty good when used as a bandana. They are microfiber and absorb a lot of sweat before it starts to run down. They are easily wrung out and will continue to work well after doing so (I expect I'll carry more than one in summer). I think I have found the best option thus far. They are $3.47 each. I can get several of these for the cost of one useless Halo headband. Anyway, if you've got a similar issue these are worth trying. Do they look a bit goofy? I think so but I'm past the age where that's important to me. Wink

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-18-in-x-18-in-Microfiber-Grouting-Cleaning-and-Polishing-Cloth-for-Multi-Surface-Use-70018/312079951

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting. I always wear a Buff and run with a cotton hanky. Yesterday I did a brutal 2.5 hour indoor ride and had to change to a dry Buff about midway, since it was saturated and dripping into my eyes -- even with a massive fan blowing on me. Outdoors it's less of an issue, but I may try this.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

thanks for the cloth tip!

I wear Headsweats hats, and on warm days the brim is saturated and dripping on my face by mile 4. The old style with the terrycloth band is MUCH better than the new ones. I also carry a microfiber cloth, I get the Trader Joe's kitchen cloth and cut them into quarters. Fits in the palm of my hand (and gel pocket on my shorts) and is super absorbent. When it gets saturated, I just squeeze it dry.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying