Anyone else on Fosamax? (Read 789 times)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

BTW - Do you know any good docs in the Naperville area?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think Elaine Spirakes in Elmhurst is good. I knew her back in the day.
      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I just googled her name. Looks like she may be a runner! Smile
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, she is Smile Please send her my regard.
          jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Thanks. I will do that if I end up going to her. Need to do some further checking with insurance and hospital affiliations. And, I typically only go once a year.
            HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Not trying to be an alarmist but as far as meds for bone density, I believe Fosamax was recently linked to heart problems: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-04-28-fosamax_n.htm There are many other alternatives - may want to talk to doctor about the percentage of women affected and whether there are additional risk factors that contributed to the problems noted in these women

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

skinnycaponesugar

How about taking some good bacteria like acidophilus bifidus to help your digestive system? it wouldn't hurt

Love, Run, Sleep

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I believe Fosamax was recently linked to heart problems: I've read that - that is one of several reasons I'm not crazy about taking it. How about taking some good bacteria like acidophilus bifidus to help your digestive system? it wouldn't hurt I do that almost every day. But for 3-4 days every week, I also have to increase my fiber (extra flaxseed meal and pears, generally) from my normal 30 g to the 40-50 range!
                  jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

And get a new doc. .
                    Good advice. Thanks, Trent. New doc makes much more sense and disagreed a lot with the old one.