Adding miles to existing courses (Read 1555 times)

bigBlueMango

I don't see that this can be done on Running Ahead, but please point me in the right direction if this function exists.

When copying a workout, the mapping tools do not allow for extension of distance. For example, if I have a 10 mile run that I would like to add two more miles to (on an out and back run), it would be easier for me to add miles to an existing 10 mile run, and save it as a new (in this case, 12 mile) run. This is not possible on Running Ahead, because users can only manoeuvre existing points on a map, which destroys a logical pathway (like running across motorways or lakes). Unfortunately, given an exact amount of existing points - and therefore lines between points - users cannot add miles to a course copy. Only way to do it, is to start from scratch, even though 10 of the 12 miles are going to be exactly the same as the previous course.

For an example, MayMyRun.com always adds mid-points between two different data points entered by the user. When dragging mid-points to accommodate more miles along a pathway, yet another mid-point is created. Users can continue to drag and drop mid-points, adding miles to existing courses without having to start from scratch.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are you asking about adding 2 miles (for example) to the end of the route (which is very possible) or in the middle?

To add 2 miles to the end, you just copy and start clicking the new points.  Easy peasy.

bigBlueMango

I guess it would be an addition to the middle. Most of my long runs are an out and back, so adding miles at say 5 mile point to get to six before returning. Agreed on the endpoint, it's easy enough to add on from there. Thanks Trent, any other info is appreciated.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I do this fairly often.  Right click anywhere on your existing course to add a point.  Drag points to appropriate positions.  Right click on an existing point to remove it.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, i get the problem.  You can do as LL suggested, but the dragged points don't continue to follow roads as new points do.  That would be a nice new feature, I agree.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hmm. I never use the follow roads feature, since it never goes where I want.

To add 2 miles to the end, you just copy and start clicking the new points.  Easy peasy.

Haven't used the mapping feature in forever and was amazed at how quickly it works now. Super stuff.

Get off my porch

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hmm. I never use the follow roads feature, since it never goes where I want.

Really?  Except for when I want to map trails or the map is out of date (rare), it almost always gets it right for me.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Really?  Except for when I want to map trails or the map is out of date (rare), it almost always gets it right for me.

My runs are primarily on the city multi-use trails.  I haven't recently tried putting Google in bicycle mode, but in the past it kept moving me to places I didn't want to go.

eric :)

You can right click anywhere on the route to add a new point.  Similarly, if you right click on an existing point on the route you'll delete it.

The midpoint thing you mentioned is a Google maps feature.  I tried it out but did not use it because it slows way down on a map with many points.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My runs are primarily on the city multi-use trails.  I haven't recently tried putting Google in bicycle mode, but in the past it kept moving me to places I didn't want to go.

I looked at a couple of your public maps and they all ran along routes that showed up on the google map, even the multi-use trails.  They seem to map just fine, even in run mode. 

Eric, when I map directly into google and move midpoints, it is pretty fast, even with a route that is hundreds of miles.  Is the API slower?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I looked at a couple of your public maps and they all ran along routes that showed up on the google map, even the multi-use trails.  They seem to map just fine, even in run mode. 

I'll try the feature again, next time I map a course.

eric :)

Eric, when I map directly into google and move midpoints, it is pretty fast, even with a route that is hundreds of miles.  Is the API slower?

Google may have fixed the performance problem.  I think all the node boxes were slowing down the rendering.  Besides, having only points near the cursor visible is less cluttering.