70% of runners take ibuprofen before every workout. Say what? (Read 1359 times)

Those runners who’d popped over-the-counter ibuprofen pills before and during the race displayed significantly more inflammation and other markers of high immune system response afterward than the runners who hadn’t taken anti-inflammatories.

This correlation / causation statement really bugs me. The simple explanation is probably that runners who were suffering from inflammation took some ibuprofen to try and manage it.

I never take "Vitamin I" before a run or a race, but I have a marathon on Saturday and my IT Band is giving me some trouble the past few runs, so I very well might take a few pills Saturday morning in an attempt to limit the inflammation that is already there. 

Don't get me started on the difference between 70% of runners taking it before every workout and upto 70% (i.e. between 1% and 70%) taking it before every race (i.e. a small fraction of their runs).

--

Nashville, TN

JimR

Creative wording? Note that the sentence says "before every workout or competition" not "before every workout and competition." That suggests the author may be adding together people who take ibuprofen before every workout (which could be daily) and people who take it before every race (which could be only a few times a year).

The 'up to' part is a bit of a giveaway. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

85% of all statistics are bogus.

Jess runs for bacon

this is probably the 70%. Talked to 10 people: 3 said before or during races, 3 said after a hard workout or big toe hurt or.....  and 1 said every once in a blue moon.

This is exactly what I thought when I read the article. 70% all the time is way off. I think it's more "I've taken advil before a run or race."

Really?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

This is exactly what I thought when I read the article. 70% all the time is way off. I think it's more "I've taken advil before a run or race."

It wouldn't have killed the NYT editor to link back to the Western States study the number came from. Especially since it was their own coverage.

spinach

They are not bogus but 84.46% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Imminent Catastrophe

It didn't mention rhabdomyolosis either.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hoodoo Guru

I had a crashing headache after Monkey and tried to get some ibuprofen to take , and not even the EMTs on course would give me any.  You're saying 70% of those runners there were holding out on me?   Angry

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The tangents are moot.

RunJasonRun

Interesting.  I never ever ever take ibuprofen before, during, or even immediately after a long distance run or ultramarathon.  The only time I will take it is if I'm suffering from an acute injury that needs attention during my down time away from long runs.  I am always paranoid about screwing up my kidneys if I take it during an ultra.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Up to 85% of all statistics are bogus.

I fixed that for you and Catgirl if I was at Monkey I woudl have given you my IBU.  I'm not afraid to have rocks thrown at me for taking the stuff.  You people can act all tough but I bet you a ton of people on here use them.  I am proud of myself for not having used them for a little bit now. 

It feels like some people on this post are trying to tell me two things.  One IBU adds to ulcer risk and two it does not keep down inflammation?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                        • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                        • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                        kcam

70% seems like a lot, maybe that was before there was so much information on the effects of ibuprofen on kidneys for runners?  

A long time ago, before I knew better, I used to take two Ibuprofen tabs on the starting line of a marathon and then I'd take two more when I crossed the finish line (I had them in a plastic wrapper in my shorts pocket).  I finally realized it didn't help me a bit - when lack of training makes you bonk two ibuprofens are not gonna help you get to the finish.

Ironically, once I upped my training mileage a good bit I never feel the need to take ibuprofen.  I wonder if I did any damage back then?  I think I did that for about 5 or 6 marathons over a couple years.

A Saucy Wench

I do know people that do. And what annoys me more is one of my running friends who I had convinced not to go the ibuprofen route was told that it was GOOD to do ibuprofen for ultra training and now she has made it ok for a bunch of new runners all to take ibu to "get through" runs.  Grrr.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It feels like some people on this post are trying to tell me two things.  One IBU adds to ulcer risk and two it does not keep down inflammation?

Speaking only for myself, I think the biggest issue is that IBU interferes with the recovery process/training response. What's the point of hard training if I undermine my ability to rebuild damaged tissue?

Speaking only for myself, I think the biggest issue is that IBU interferes with the recovery process/training response. What's the point of hard training if I undermine my ability to rebuild damaged tissue?

If that's your biggest concern, then why would your worry about it in an important race, since your recovery time isn't overly important,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life