new shoes (Read 150 times)

shawnmarie

I have my first full marathon in a week. I think I need new shoes, but was wondering if I wear them around this week (like at work) if they would have time to break in. If not, then I'll buy some afterwards. Someone told me not to run this close to theactual marathon this week. I'm new at this, so help 😊

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

If they are the exact same model as a known current pair you should be okay. Otherwise, stick with the horse that brought you.

You people have issues 

I have my first full marathon in a week. I think I need new shoes, but was wondering if I wear them around this week (like at work) if they would have time to break in. If not, then I'll buy some afterwards. Someone told me not to run this close to theactual marathon this week. I'm new at this, so help 😊

I usually start breaking in my new shoes at work & on shorter runs.   maybe wear 1/2  the day at work & then switch to my normal work shoes.    even running shoes need some kind of breaking in.  wearing new shoes & changing your normal eating/drinking routine are usually   #1 & #2 on the list of what not to do on marathon day.  but people still do it.  some get away with it & some dont.  and yes you can run this close to a marathon but you need to "taper" down.   Do some research  on how to properly taper for a marathon.  you will see lots of different ideas but there will be a noticable common thread

Joann Y

If they are the exact same model as a known current pair you should be okay. Otherwise, stick with the horse that brought you.

^^Agree. I've done this with a brand new pair on race day itself and been totally fine but I've been wearing the same make and model shoe for a few years and totally know what to expect from them.

spinach

If your new shoes are the same model/maker as the previous ones, you shouldn't have any problem. New shoes now don't need to be broken in.  I once ran a ran marathon in a brand new shoe, I did run two miles the day before in the marathon in those shoes. I test shoes for New Balance and so i have a lot of experience with new shoes and I could tell that those shoes would be okay for my feet.

Since you are a new runner I would recommend you stay with the same make and model that you are used to. Don't try anything new and different. Good luck and have a lot fun next week.

Capt Awesome

If your new shoes are the same model/maker as the previous ones, you shouldn't have any problem. New shoes now don't need to be broken in.  I once ran a ran marathon in a brand new shoe, I did run two miles the day before in the marathon in those shoes. I test shoes for New Balance and so i have a lot of experience with new shoes and I could tell that those shoes would be okay for my feet.

Since you are a new runner I would recommend you stay with the same make and model that you are used to. Don't try anything new and different. Good luck and have a lot fun next week.

What worked for you might not necessarily work for them, and may have worked for you specifically because you are a wear-tester and used to trying so many different new models so frequently. I'd still recommend finding some time to break in a new pair of shoes, even if they are the same make and model, not doing so is a gamble. It may turn out fine, or it may not...sometimes when you gamble you lose, which will make for a very long and miserable race.

runmichigan

While new shoes may not need a traditional break-in period, I would not recommend using new shoes for any long runs or races until you have tried them out on several shorter runs. Slight differences in stitching patterns, the length of parts, and the fit of the shoes may cause irritation and hit spots that are different from one shoe to the next.

BeeRunB

Think probabilities. Having worn shoes for thousands of miles, I can tell you it's more probable you'll have a problem with the new shoes than your old ones. Good luck in the race! 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

While new shoes may not need a traditional break-in period, I would not recommend using new shoes for any long runs or races until you have tried them out on several shorter runs. Slight differences in stitching patterns, the length of parts, and the fit of the shoes may cause irritation and hit spots that are different from one shoe to the next.

+1. I had same shoe different color. Needed to go up half a size.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

^^Agree. I've done this with a brand new pair on race day itself and been totally fine but I've been wearing the same make and model shoe for a few years and totally know what to expect from them.

+1. This was my life until a month ago. Now I do a short test run.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I'd be a little careful and would probably wear the shoes I have been doing my long runs in over the past few months (unless there is simply nothing left to run in)...    I see a few comments saying, if they are the exact same model etc, but I have occasionally gotten a second pair of the exact same shoe and for some odd reason it just didn't feel the same.     You 'ought' to be OK doing this but you just cant be sure.

I've put brand new shoes on and run extended distances and was just fine....but I have also bought new shoes and was walking after 1 mile.

I don't think you want to find out you made a mistake during your marathon.

Champions are made when no one is watching

This is good advice. Experiment perhaps on less distance or slower races before you feel totally comfortable. I switched from more cushioned to more barefoot shoes for a recent race and I was so glad it was a short one otherwise I'd have been struggling.