Spirit of the Marathon (Read 648 times)

Did anyone stick around after the show for the Q&A thing they advertised before the movie? I had never been to a "Fathom Event" type of movie, and was wondering if they were doing it live from somewhere because most of the other events they were advertising were live things. Anyone?
    Did they get to that where you were watching? At the theater I went to they cut the show off abruptly during the special features part.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

hdh

I saw it and really felt badly for the guy with the meniscus proglem so could not run then was elated when he and his wife ran Boston together. I was silent while watching Daniel at the finish. All that work and still #2... it's gotta hurt.
      hdh
        This doth sucketh. Missed it, so I'll have to pray it hits Netflix someday. Cry
        Looks as though it has another "run" in February. Maybe you can see it then. Check the site: http://www.marathonmovie.com

My legs are killing me

I didn't know about the q&a at the end. That was really a great movie! I really related to all the emotions of the runners from the disappointment of the guy getting hurt (I'm hurt now) to feeling nervous just before the race. If you run this is a must see.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I felt the sense of enjoyment that the older guy got to just be a part of it all, with no real worries about any goal. I got the sense that his daughter wasn't thrilled to have the whole thing filmed though.
            Yeah, she definitely seemed pretty uncomfortable with it at parts, but she HAD to be proud of her physical transformation by the end. We were commenting at how much slimmer and toned she looked by the time she crossed the finish line. I hope to experience that myself. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bugs

My favorite part was being in the theater with all my running friends. You put that many women together high on their own endorphins, happy to be in their skinny jeans eating buttered popcorn you have to have a good time. I admire Deena Kastor so much, I think of the elites she was the perfect choice to focus on. Was really interesting what she said how she relied on her talent for a long, and only after college started to work at it. They wrapped up the movie very well. I bet the DVD has lots of extra scenes not in the movie that would be interesting as well. I'm working through some injuries now and thought maybe it'd be depressing to watch it, but actually it gave me hope Oh and I think the older guy should loose some weight to get faster before moving to an advanced program. The girl that struggled in the marathon,what happened? Was she tired or hurt? Thought she had ice on her knees at the end.

Bugs

I loved it too! And Ryan (my non-running SO) even liked it. I loved that I related to so much of what the marathon newbies were going through. With my first marathon coming up, I appreciated that they had "real people" in the movie and not just elite/pro runners. And I liked that so many of the things I've been doing/saying came out in the movie, which made me feel like I wasn't alone in this (i.e. difference between "zen runners" and others, setting PRs, people asking if you think you'll win). And it was very cool to watch/follow the elite runners. Damn, Deena Kastor is amazing! I can't believe that there are people out there that run these thing to "win" - and not just finish. Loved watching her and Daniel run!
                Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Awesome...it was so well done. I wanted them all to do so well (except for the whiney guy, but I was even happy at the end to see that he had BQd with his wife). Loved the bits of humor, too. Smile
                  He didn't really whine that much. He poured his heart and soul into BQing and came up short though no fault of his own. I'd be torqued, too. It never said he qualified, it just said he ran it with his wife. I tried to find info to see if he had run a qualifying time or if he registered as an unqualified entrant but couldn't find out one way or another. I liked the movie quite a bit, too. I thought Deana Kastor was probably the most interesting case. I had read that she did little running but cross trained her butt off because of her injury. She tried to be stoic about, but you could tell she was really rattled. Also it was cool hearing her talk about winning the bronze and how she needed to win a marathon. All in all they had a nice cross section of characters. It seemed everyone had some aspects of their relationship to running to which I could either relate or be inspired by.

Bugs

I agree that the guy that did not BQ was not whining. He grieved the situation, and then made the best of it by volunteering at races, and being very supportive of his wife's race. How he cheered on his wife, with baby and posters was pretty dam great. Whining would have been staying home to take care of the baby while his wife ran.

Bugs