Annoying, but... whatever (Read 1558 times)

I have a 22 year-old coworker that was convinced he could run a sub 21:00 5K with zero training and he's never ran seriously at any point in his life. He said he could run a mile in under 7 minutes in middle school and that should be good enough. We both signed up for a 5K and he took off at the start. At the time I thought he might make it. I ran the first mile in 9-something with my wife before separating from her and speeding up a little bit. I passed him 1/2 mile from the finish. He finished it in 26:47. At least he's excited about running now and wants to try again soon. On the other hand, I have another friend that's almost 40. Not a runner but very athletic. He went to a track one day to see how fast he could run a mile and pulled it out in under 5 minutes. I've been trying to get him to run seriously but he keeps telling me he hates to run.
    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
      When I was in 11th grade some cross country members asked me if I could run a 5k in 24 minutes because if so I could beat the slowest member of the HS team. I think they only had 4 or 5 members so they wanted to get some depth and were looking for new recruits (accepting anyone and everyone who would join) I said "Well I ran a mile in 6:37 a couple months ago...I bet I could do three 8 minute miles no problem. The 1st run I finished 3 miles in 26:40 after starting slow as my dad suggested...the next day I took off faster and was in pain the whole way...but finished in 25:40 or so. Alas after 2 weeks I finally cruised in 3 miles in 23:30! I did it a 5k in sub 24 I yelled aloud....until I realized a 5k was 3.1 miles...and I was like you got to be kidding me I have to go faster than this! Well eventually I got down to 22:38 that year. I never broke 20 in highschool so at age 31 I took up running again to beat this goal.. after a year of mostly treadmill runs I broke 20 on the treadmill at 0% grade..and looking at local races I thought I would be winning age groups with this speed...not so the treadmill times were about a minute faster than my road racing times....! Good thing I didnt broadcast to the world that I ran a 19:06 5k as my personal best (I ran a 19:06 on the treadmill at 0% grade when my 5k best outside was 20:17)....its humbling to learn that you arent as good as you think you are and you need to put in a LOT OF WORK to get faster.
      mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Suggest that he enter a 5k......
        - and you run it, too.... Speaking of amazing ability - My son has been going to these kids' track meets the local running club organizes. They also do a couple of fun events for the parents. I gave the 440 a shot, bird-dogging one of the running club members who appeared to be running a little faster than I do when he ran. He ended up beating me by about 50 yards, finishing in 1:15 or so (I couldn't hear his time too well). I ran in1:23. He congratulated me, said "good run", etc., then we got to talking running, and NY marathon came up. It was then that it occurred to us that we had just run a 1/4 mile lap at a 5 : xx mile pace, while the guys who win these are running 5 : xx minute miles - for over 26 miles!
        seeEricaRun

Awesome

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing." -Abraham Lincoln
          I haven't done any tests, but I'm fairly certain that I could have a planet-sized resolution and still not run a 3:05 marathon with no training. Oh, there's my damn attitude bringing me down again.

A Saucy Wench

well said

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

obsessor

I haven't done any tests, but I'm fairly certain that I could have a planet-sized resolution and still not run a 3:05 marathon with no training. Oh, there's my damn attitude bringing me down again.
                Me too. So I train.
                JakeKnight

Read the quote again.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

I beat him in my half marathon this summer. Evil grin Revenge is sweet even if it is 10 years cold. OK OK, he is a good bit older than me and has slowed. Which actually makes it still sweet in that whole "pride goeth before a fall" way.
                    Did you ask him after the race why he bothered coming out if he was just going to jog?

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

A Saucy Wench

Did you ask him after the race why he bothered coming out if he was just going to jog?
                      heh heh Evil grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7