Chip time / Gun time (Read 760 times)

Gstrobe188

I apoligize if this is a newbie question. What is the difference between gun time and chip time. Which one is the actual time. My chip time was 24:34 but my gun time was 24:49.

Thanks 

5k 22:22, Quarter Marathon 52:45, Mini Duathlon 1:00:14

Leopard

For your official place in the race with regards to awards and so forth, typically your gun time is your official finishing time.  That's the time it took you to cross the finish line from when the gun went off, which may be more than the time you took to run the race because you had to wait to cross the start line.  Your chip time is the time between you crossing the start mat and the finish mat, and is the actual time it took you to run the race distance.

PR's 5K: 18:37, 10K: 39:51, 15K: 58:18, Half Marathon: 1:25:51 Marathon 3:19:15

2017 Goal: getting fit and lean again, before it's too late!

Gstrobe188

Thanks leopard that clears it up. I think next time I need to start a little more to the front then what I give myself credit for.

5k 22:22, Quarter Marathon 52:45, Mini Duathlon 1:00:14

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In this case, you were fifteen seconds behind the starting line.  If there is no starting mat and you care about those seconds, then yes, start closer to the start.  If there is a starting mat, it probably doesn't matter, because only the elite awards usually hinge on the gun time.  One other consideration is, in a crowded race you have to weave around more people if  you start too far back.  OTOH, it's not polite to start too far forward and make others weave around you.  Use your best guess.

In this case, you were fifteen seconds behind the starting line.  If there is no starting mat and you care about those seconds, then yes, start closer to the start.  If there is a starting mat, it probably doesn't matter, because only the elite awards usually hinge on the gun time.  One other consideration is, in a crowded race you have to weave around more people if  you start too far back.  OTOH, it's not polite to start too far forward and make others weave around you.  Use your best guess.

The ideal: Everybody sorts themselves by expected pace so that nobody has to weave or change pace.

The reality: I have run 5K races where the VERY FRONT of the starting line was packed with little kids, dogs, strollers, the old and infirm, and a scattering of chickens and goats. (OK, I exaggerate.....but not much)

The ideal: Everybody sorts themselves by expected pace so that nobody has to weave or change pace.

The reality: I have run 5K races where the VERY FRONT of the starting line was packed with little kids, dogs, strollers, the old and infirm, and a scattering of chickens and goats. (OK, I exaggerate.....but not much)

yep, the little kid part of this is becoming more and more common in small local races. It's as if they think the 5K is a race across the play ground. One dad I know who's 8 year old son runs many of these 5Ks is perfectly happy to let his 28 minute finisher get in the front row, while he, a 20 minute finisher lines up about where he should.  I just don't get it...