2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dang, I didn’t calculate the time difference correctly. Hope you’re feeling better Monday Rune.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Rune - Congrats! (bummer about the leg cramps.)

My week:

M: 7 easy

T: 6 with track intervals 8x600@2:15

W: 12 easy

Th: spin

F: 10 easy

S: 7 easy

S: 10 easy

total = 52

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rune - glad to hear from you - bummer about the cramps.

Beryl - 50K as a fun run is very SMax-esque

Rovatti - nice week from you - good to see that consistency.

My week: 70 miles and 19 "miles" pool-running.

M: yoga and 8.5 "miles" pool-running.

T: 13 miles, including 5x1200 in 4:37, 4:35, 4:32, 4:31, 4:35.  Also injury prevention/leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.

W: 8 miles very easy to yoga (9:19), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (9:13) plus drills+strides

Th: upper body weights/core and 10.5 "miles" pool-running.
        F: 12 miles, including 5 mile (8K) tempo in 32:17 (6:38/6:28/6:27/6:25/6:20).  Also injury prevention/leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.

Sa: 12 miles very easy (8:56) plus drills+strides and upper body weights/core

Su: 21 miles progressive, split as first 7 at 8:39, next 7 at 7:32, last 7 at 6:36.  Also injury prevention/leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.

Don't get too impressed by the last 7 miles - those were all downhill with a 20 MPH tailwind.  The previous 7 miles (up that hill, with the headwind) are actually the more impressive part of the workout.

The downhill marathon pace segment was intentional - I know it's not an accurate measure of my fitness, but it does a good job of prepping my quads for the downhills at CIM.

[to be clear, I mean that I intended to do the MP stuff downhill, not that I meant to run that fast.  The pace was an oops...]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Arvind Balaraman

Sorry to hear about the cramps Rune. Hope you feel better and recover fast.

Pesto

rune - sorry to hear about the cramps. From strava you looked so in control and then a very sudden decrease in pace.

Given that the race didn't take that much out of you, are you thinking about another race soon or are you done until next year?

Also, looking forward to hearing about the race itself, as I'd like to run Amsterdam in the future.

DkW - killer week. 70 miles plus a crazy 21 miler is impressive.

CK - you're training has been fantastic too, what is the goal for the marathon?

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Strict WTF adherent

My week:

Mon - Weights and 2 with strides

Tues - 5.1 progression-ish

Wed - Weights and 5 easy

Thurs - TURD (life)

Fri - Weights and running TURD (life/death)

Sat - 5.1 easy

Sun - 8.4 fast-ish finish (first outdoor run in forever)

Total - 25.6 completely uneventful miles, so more progress

A belated thanks for the feedback on my stupid half marathon thing. As most suggested, I am basically locked in at this point to continuing my current buildup with a possible/likely DNS. FWIW:

-There is no compelling reason for me to participate other than that I'll be there anyway.

-I have never had trouble jogging a race (I have several 5+ hour marathons under my belt).

-This is a Disney event, so if I choose to wander around and take pictures, or stop for breakfast or a beer (or a breakfast beer!), or wear a sparkle skirt and a fuel belt, I'll fit right in.

As to FB's suggestion that I do yoga on the course ... No.

As to Max's suggestion that I run a full marathon in preparation... I'll do that the day before so I don;t have time to forget how to run.

Regarding Friday's skipped workout: Buried a longtime acquaintance. He was the victim of an unprovoked attack in May. The other person hit him from behind, beat him and then ran over him with his own car. He was in a vegetative state ever since. Please, be aware of your surroundings. And in this group in particular, remember that your best weapon is an ability to run faster than most people.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Beryl - Nice week.

Rovatti - Same to you.

DWave - Awesome LR for the race specificity.

Pesto - Thanks! A specific goal is still up in the air, but definitely sub-3:05. I've got 15M on the schedule this weekend, which I hope will help clarify a goal. Planning on doing it while keeping in the 6:55-7:00 min/mi (~4:18-4:21/km) range.

McB - Sorry for your loss. Increasing one's situational awareness is definitely good advice for anyone. Nice week coming back otherwise.

PR weekly mileage week from me - at least for a usual 6 day on/1 day off training week. Short doubles during the work week (sadly mostly on the treadmill) certainly helped out with this.
                Felt REALLY good during my workout this morning (3T, 5x 2min I, 1T), which was an awesome way to kick off my last big week of training before starting to taper.
                My HR is still staying oddly low for workout intensities. During the 3T portion, it never got into the range I would consider being appropriate for a marathon, and during the intervals only rose to low tempo/threshold rates. I'm guessing it's mostly the weather (~48F/8.8C) and carryover from all my work during the heat of summer.
                I just got a new chair at work, too! My first such upgrade in nearly 5.5 years.

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Oct 15, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 21, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                Mon 14.3 7:49 5T + 5x 2 min I. So THIS is what it feels like to run on fresh legs! 143 (73%) strava
                Mon 2.4 8:00 Short, easy double with a stride just because. 132 (67%) strava
                Tue 10.6 8:18 Just one critter I couldn't see well enough to identify 136 (69%) strava
                Tue 2.5 8:27 Double double - Watopia 124 (63%) strava
                Wed 8.1 8:23 Unusual morning routine today - Watopia 132 (67%) strava
                Wed 4.3 8:22 Triple Double - Watopia 127 (65%) strava
                Thu 13.7 7:58 Daniels 8E + 3T + 4x 100m R 143 (73%) strava
                Thu 3.1 8:28 [Halo announcer] Double run-tacular! [/Halo announcer] - Watopia 131 (67%) strava
                Fri 10.1 8:05 TJM LR 66 - Learning what a group of tortoises are called - Watopia 131 (67%) strava
                Fri 3.3 8:28 Double run spree! - NYC 133 (68%) strava
                Sat 20.2 8:13 Miles with the Landrunners, a close encounter with a four-legged trash compactor, and the last mile at M effort 136 (69%) strava
                  92.6 8:08      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Speed Surplus

McB - Sorry for your loss, and also WTF @ that story. Terrifying.

Rune - Sorry to hear about the cramps.

My week, insane numbers but, like, 3/4 of this is cycling, and e-cycling at that.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                  Mon 18.5 3:32 1:05 I-90 sucks right now. Construction, etc... 119 (65%) 1092 strava
                  Mon 5.6 8:17 0:46 Feeling a bit peppier than yesterday. Maybe it's the shoes? 144 (78%) 135 strava
                  Mon 18.6 3:11 0:59 New rack came partially detached midway. Loctite'd when I got home 126 (68%) 769 strava
                  Tue 18.6 3:25 1:03 Smooth and easy 114 (62%) 1022 strava
                  Tue 2.2 7:52 0:17 Quick run to pick up motorcycle 142 (77%) 54 strava
                  Tue 18.6 3:06 0:57 Got destroyed by super cyclist up and down 520! Holy balls! 131 (71%) 763 strava
                  Wed 18.6 4:42 1:27 Gambled on making a round trip on one charge and lost hilariously. 117 (64%) 1028 strava
                  Thu 7.4 10:16 1:16 Almost, but not quite, the full Bridle Trails tour 162 (88%) 474 strava
                  Thu 18.6 3:05 0:57 Had enough juice for this one 121 (66%) 784 strava
                  Fri 7.4 8:07 1:00 One hour of loops 143 (78%) 176 strava
                  Sun 10.0 8:07 1:21 Pace a bit all over the place, but not bad 149 (81%) 278 strava
                    144.1 4:40 11:12     6575

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

McB:   I'm going to have nightmares now.

Big's Backyard:

Arvind Balaraman

heartfelt condolences. that is terrifying.

Regarding Friday's skipped workout: Buried a longtime acquaintance. He was the victim of an unprovoked attack in May. The other person hit him from behind, beat him and then ran over him with his own car. He was in a vegetative state ever since. Please, be aware of your surroundings. And in this group in particular, remember that your best weapon is an ability to run faster than most people.

DukeDB

Hello 2018 3:20 and Beyond.  Just wanted to check in since I failed to check out way back this spring - this group has a terrific amount of traffic and I just couldn't keep up.  Decided to get coached (mostly virtual, through runfartherandfaster here in DC) and trained to 3:15 fitness ... and ran a 3:35 at Monster Mash Marathon in Dover, DE on Saturday.  Just not my day, a lingering cold and then some bad stiffening of the hip flexors at the half mark.  I recommend both that race for mid-Atlantic types who like low key races, and the runfartherandfaster virtual coaching.  I hope you keep your good and supportive community rolling along.  I'll be back for 2019.

AceHarris

Rune: Sorry about the cramps. Well done on getting through that last 8 miles fighting those. Kind of frustrating to finish a marathon and not feel spent. How was nutrition/hydration during the race?

Duke: welcome back. Sorry about the rough day as well.

Keen: you're a beast! Did you flirt with possibly trying to get 100 miles for the week? How many weeks until raceday?  I need a new work chair. I hate sitting down, but I guess it's necessary. I spend about 60% of my day seated. Did you get something fancy?

Rovatti: solid week!

Dwave: nice week and long run. Enjoy that tailwind!

McBen: nice week, glad it was uneventful. Sorry about your friend. That's horrible.

Had my last "real" workout this morning for this training cycle. I went into it a little tired, more sleepy tired than fatigue from training. It went well, though.

5 x 1600 with 1:00 rest. Plan was to start at 6:05, drop by 5 seconds per rep, then give a solid effort on the final rep.

6:03, 6:00, 5:52, 5:50, 5:35. Felt solid. Kind of feel ready to taper.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - The format of Big's Backyard is one that I find very interesting, and somewhat reminds me of some of the old pedestrianism events.

Ace - It absolutely crossed my mind, but not until it was too late to do so without running on my usual day off, or adding more miles than I wanted to just a couple days. Maybe I'll hit triple digits next year. Something I mentioned in the sub-90 thread: Running a big number of miles like that without issue really makes even bigger numbers seem within reach, and makes slightly lower miles seem like something that could be sustained for several weeks in a row. My race is Nov 17, so about 3.5 weeks left.

The new chair isn't exactly fancy, but it it FAR better than what I've been putting up with. I also spend an unfortunate amount of my work day sitting, and have to purposefully take a few breaks during the day to wander around and go up/down our 3 flights of stairs a few times.

I saw that workout on Strava this morning - very impressive. Have you stated a specific goal for your race yet?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Running Problem

Problem Child

dropping by to say I bought new shoes (Pegasus 34 for $60 shipped) using shoekicker.com. Hopefully it motivates me to keep running. Installing floors starting Friday and NeRP had a fever Friday - Sunday and was getting better Monday.

rlk I saw you use Nike Zoom fly shoes. Ever run in anything else? How many miles do you get out of them and are they only for races?

McBen glad to hear you're doing better.

My Week

Hit 40 MPW with no real goal other than 40 MPW is what my team needed for the "2018 in 2018" challenge. I might not make 2018 miles, but I might have to try just to keep 40-50 mpw a normal thing aiming for an April/May marathon. I might be getting sick this week too AND I'm installing new floors Friday- Sunday (hopefully Friday only) so I'm going to miss a lot of runs. Tuesday I forgot to name (streak broken finally) but I ran to get new wheels and tires for the truck. It's convenient having a hobby doubling as transportation.

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, Oct 15, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 21, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Mon 6.5 8:22 That time I'm not even sure they miss me strava
                              Tue 1.6 8:14 Lunch Run strava
                              Wed 0.6 18:08 That time I forgot my gloves. (29F) strava
                              Thu 7.4 8:05 That time we were playing games. strava
                              Fri 6.0 8:14 That time Alzheimer’s has its perks. strava
                              Sat 8.0 8:57 That time I’m not sure what we are doing. strava
                              Sun 10.3 8:35 That time I will show you why I have my 💳 on me. strava
                                40.4 8:35    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

I waved in your direction down there somewhere Brew.

Pretty nice hike yesterday on Second Sunday.  Figured I only had a few weeks (days?) before the snow claims anything above 10k so I went east from Sac and camped in El Dorado and then hiked Freel (and Job's Sister).  I think it was somewhere around 15 miles total and who knows elevation.  GPS died somewhere on the TRT and when it died I lost the whole dang file (only happens on my more epic trips, Never Summer, Wind River, this one).  I guess I was following in Max's footsteps through the passes.

Did see a chubby bear cub on the way up, who was a little too curious for my liking.  Eventually it did skedaddle upwards to where I assume mama was (I didn't really want to find out).

11:11 3,000 (recent)