Walking a race (Read 1589 times)

Why is it sideways?

And for Jeff: that is indeed me in my profile picture...it was taken up at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in the northwest corner of the lower peninsula of Michigan. It's a beautiful place to visit no matter what time of year you go there.
    Incredible. The colors are amazing. I haven't made it up to the U.P. area, but have always heard how beautiful it is. Maybe someday...
      Incredible. The colors are amazing. I haven't made it up to the U.P. area, but have always heard how beautiful it is. Maybe someday...
      The U.P. is definitely something you should put on your short list, especially if you can get there when the colors are in full swing in the fall (and all the bugs are finally dead).

Think Whirled Peas

The U.P. is definitely something you should put on your short list, especially if you can get there when the colors are in full swing in the fall (and all the bugs are finally dead).
        Yep, Copper Harbor is the place to be when the leaves start changing! Just plan on being in a car for a while...it ain't close. To. Anywhere.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Another Passion

Yep, Copper Harbor is the place to be when the leaves start changing! Just plan on being in a car for a while...it ain't close. To. Anywhere.
          Indeed, Copper Harbor is amazing, also Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Munising, MI, and Tahquamenon Falls State Park in the U.P., the Sault is cool, Whitefish Bay, and a plethora of places in lower Michigan as well. I think one could take a lifetime exploring Michigan alone and just scratch the surface of it's beautiful places and sights. (looking for my kickback check from the Michigan Department of Commerce and Tourism - oh wait, the Michigan state government has no money... they just about shut down 3 times last year! Duh!) Roll eyes

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Lazy idiot

I spent a week on Neebish Island last summer, and many trips in childhood summers past on the St. Mary's River. Gorgeous stuff.

Tick tock

So I guess I have to ask what's the difference between a highly skilled racewalker and an amateur walker who isn't as fast but is still striving to improve their times and a highly skilled runner and an amateur runner who isn't as fast and is still striving to improve? I think it's the same principal, just different sports. And for Jeff: that is indeed me in my profile picture...it was taken up at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in the northwest corner of the lower peninsula of Michigan. It's a beautiful place to visit no matter what time of year you go there.
              There is no difference. I didn't distinguish between skilled and recreational "racewalkers." I didn't think this thread had anything to do with them. I thought this was all about people who walk races just to finish, which I still don't fully understand. That's all.
                There is no difference. I didn't distinguish between skilled and recreational "racewalkers." I didn't think this thread had anything to do with them. I thought this was all about people who walk races just to finish, which I still don't fully understand. That's all.
                Ignoring the racewalker topic and tackling the motivation for people to walk a race just to finish. Some potential reasons I can think of (trying to think like a "just-finishing walker"): 1. Disease/illness limits physical abilities to the point that just finishing is a big feat, equivalent to getting a PR in a race. 2. Someone just getting in shape for whom just finishing a race, walking or otherwise, is a huge deal. 3. Someone who just loves the race atmosphere and wants to be a part of it without all the difficulties/struggles of racing. And it seems like this whole thread is getting close to the "dead-horse beating" point. Maybe we should just talk about monkeys instead. Big grin
                  Maybe we should just talk about monkeys instead. Big grin
                  Oh no. I hope Trent didn't see this. Big grin

Michelle