2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Cinnamon: That's cool you met Yuki! He's amazing, can't imagine running so many marathons, so fast, year after year. Good luck tomorrow!

DW: Good luck in your 10 miler, I sense a big PR is waiting for you.

Madison: How are things going in the prep for Green Bay?

2:52:16 (2018)

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, I don't know if you've tried it, but my wife and I have found chiropractic adjustments to be a great treatment for sciatica (as well as many other things).

Did that the first time it flared up a number of years ago with good results.  But now it is directly related to a) sitting too much, and b) not running.  If I get off my butt and run most days it goes away.  So it's my fault if I'm dealing with a flare.

Ran the qualifying half marathon today...first race of any kind in nearly 4 years.  I needed sub-1:37 to qualify for the fall marathon and ran 1:31:59.  Other than going out too quick the first mile I ran a very even race and just missed my stretch goal of averaging sub-7.  I thought I might be able to get the deficit back with a push over the last couple miles but the tank was dry.  Overall a good first run back, I ran hard and left it out there.

So now I need to, at a minimum, be able to do this twice back-to-back by fall to qualify for Boston....time to get to work.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Spaniel - congrats.  With your background, I don't doubt that going from 1:31 to sub-3:00 is eminently doable.

Cinnamon - good luck to you as well!

And...we're now under a flash flood warning for Philly that will extend through my race.  It will be very interesting to see whether this is a fast day (10 MPH tailwind) or slow day due to heavy rain.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Spaniel - You have a 2:28 marathon PR and ran a 2:46 5 years ago...so I hope you give something to this thread.

Darkwave and Cinnamon - Best of luck tomorrow. πŸ‘

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel - congrats.  With your background, I don't doubt that going from 1:31 to sub-3:00 is eminently doable.

Cinnamon - good luck to you as well!

And...we're now under a flash flood warning for Philly that will extend through my race.  It will be very interesting to see whether this is a fast day (10 MPH tailwind) or slow day due to heavy rain.

Don't let the rain put you off.  It rained throughout my race today.  Just don't wear cotton socks Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

madisonrunner

Madison: How are things going in the prep for Green Bay?

Things are going well.  I hit 90 miles two weeks ago and 80 this week.  My VO2 max workout this week went well (5x1200 at 5:08 pace).

This morning I raced a 20k and ran 1:10:06 (5:39 pace).  I wore a watch but planned to not check it.  This 20k is always pretty competitive but I thought I'd see if I could compete for the win.  I was in 4th place, about 10s behind 1st after 1 mile.  During mile 3 I got passed and stayed in 5th the rest of the way.  By mile 6 I was struggling.  At mile 7 I finally checked my watch and was pleasantly surprised to see a 5:49 - I was worried I would be over 6:00.  I held it together in the second 10k the best I could and ended up with a 3+ minute PR.  Checking my splits after the race I ran a 5:12 first mile and a 16:30 first 5k.  I think I'll be wearing a watch for Green Bay.

Swim5599

Madison that’s a crazy fast 20k. Well done

easy recovery week

mon off

tue 3 8:26

wed 3 8:19

thurs 3 8:18

fri 3 8:11

sat 3 8:14

sun 3 8:09

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Madison: Great work on the 20k PR. Sounds like you are gearing up well for Green Bay.

Swim: Smart recovery week.

DW: Congrats on the 10 mile PR! You paced it perfectly. Was the rain a big factor?

Cinnamon: Congrats on the AG win in Vancouver!  That is awesome, well done.  How was the race?

Me: This was week #2 in my 1-mile training program. I've been doing 3 main things: plyometrics twice a week (jumps, bounding), short hill "sprints" of 20 sec up a very steep hill (26% grade) once a week, and a track speed session. I'm targeting the Spring Street mile in June; it is the CT road championships mile and is a straight, downhill mile which looks like a lot of fun. I'll go after a legit time in a track race later in the summer.

Nimmals: as the expert on the distance here any training recommendations for the mile?

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, Apr 29, 2019 thru Sunday, May 05, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                  Tue 8.0 9:01 Morning Run w/ 6 x 20 sec hills 559 strava
                  Wed 10.0 8:13 Morning Run 500 strava
                  Thu 5.1 8:29 Morning Run 344 strava
                  Fri 8.3 8:16 Morning Run 451 strava
                  Sat 3.1 7:28 Warm up 0 strava
                  Sat 4.9 8:27 200/400/600/800/600/400/200 + 4 x 200 0 strava
                  Sat 2.1 8:44 Cool down 23 strava
                  Sun 16.1 8:20 Rainy long run 980 strava
                    57.6 8:25   2857  

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Madison - congrats on the 20K.  Nice work!

Hoping for good news from Cinnamon.  (and now that I see JTReeve's comment - I guess it did go well)

Broad Street went well - I ran 62:28, which got me below the magic 63 minute barrier, and also below the magic 62:30 barrier.

Race report is here: https://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2019/05/race-report-broad-street-10-miler-may-5.html

Actually ran with Flyrunner for pretty much all of it. We didn't plan it that way - he wasn't sure what shape he was in - it turned out he was in the same shape I was....

JTReeves - rain was a factor, in that people would have likely run faster if it had been dry, and the roads were a bit slick.   But...it wasn't awful.  Just B to B- weather, when we always want A-, A, or A+

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

And...checking results, I believe Cinnamon got her moose mug?  (Or did she have it already?)

cinnamon girl

Vancouver was the most beautiful course I've ever run!!  And the whole experience was just great. Very happy with today's run. Couldn't have expected more. Won a couple hundred Canadian dollars on top of it for 3rd Masters which I totally was not even considering.  13th Female. 1st AG.

Race results: 3:05:55 (I think)

Garmin: 3:03:00 for 26.45  (6:55) 866 ft gain and 1069 ft loss

Course is basically two halves. First half hilly, second half not.

706, 652, 650, 635, 643, 742, 720, 658, 649, 644, 652, 645, 622, 640, 704, 651, 645, 655, 707, 657, 703,:644, 650, 702, 705, 708, 657 for last 0.45 which last 1/2 km or so was uphill. First time I've ever had to stop for bathroom break in a marathon though.  Forced to make two. One right after the 6:22 (downhill section) just around half and then again around mile 20 before going into Stanley Park and these portapotties were somewhat off the course but I had to. Anyways, a little disappointed this happened but I was really just out testing my fitness today and enjoying a beautiful long run so I wasn't too terribly upset.  So my 3:03 on my Garmin was because I stopped it for those as I would have done for a training run.

JT: no clue on mile training but Saturday's workout can't be far off .. (?)

Darkwave: super fast! Well done!  I got my mug 7 yrs ago and a few notches since.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - Good race report as usual. I liked your "smile" comment, I may have to try that more when I'm in the deepest corners of the pain cave. I'm also impressed by people who can run 100% by feel without a watch. I definitely run by feel, but I use my watch to check to make sure I'm not going too fast. If you can completely control your pacing the entire race without a watch, kudos to you.

cinnamon - Congrats on the race and the money!

Nimmals - I requested to follow you on Strava if you're wondering who that is.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

First time I've ever had to stop for bathroom break in a marathon though.  Forced to make two. One right after the 6:22 (downhill section) just around half and then again around mile 20 before going into Stanley Park and these portapotties were somewhat off the course but I had to. Anyways, a little disappointed this happened but I was really just out testing my fitness today and enjoying a beautiful long run so I wasn't too terribly upset.  So my 3:03 on my Garmin was because I stopped it for those as I would have done for a training run.

Cinnamon, congratulations on the marathon. Outstanding  job and performance considering the setback.

As for the bathroom breaks don't feel bad welcome to my world. I set my recent Marathon PR with two bathroom stops one in a porta-potty @ mile 17 and the other a piss my pants streamer at mile 22.  It comes with the territory I'm surprise it took this long. Don't forget Paula Radcliffe's 2:15 world record was set taking a 8 second piss/ poop beside a spectator.

Paula Poops her way to a PR & WR

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Mon 6 mi easy w/ Franklin πŸƒπŸΏ‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍♂️

Tue 10 mi 2k Tues (made Michele cry oops)😭 πŸƒπŸΏ‍♀️ πŸƒπŸΏ‍β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍♂️

Wed 10mi easy (πŸƒπŸ»‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΎ‍♂️) - πŸƒπŸΏ‍β™‚οΈπŸˆ =🍯 🦑 🀷🏾‍♂️ = ☒️ 

Thur 7 mi beck Burn Bracket MP Run πŸƒπŸΏ‍♀️ πŸƒπŸΏ‍β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍β™€οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍♂️

Fri 6 mi easy w/ Franklin πŸƒπŸΏ‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍♂️

Sat 12 mi easy πŸƒπŸΏ‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸ»‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸ»‍β™€οΈπŸš΄‍♀️Tara on Eliptigo

Sun 8m easy w/ πŸƒπŸΏ‍β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΏ‍♂️4k push progression (5:50,5:40,5:35)

JMac  I’m an open book anyone can follow. I don’t think you found the right me though. BoydMiler72

DW Great race as always sorry about the overall awards. Sometimes you got to fight there was literally 6 seconds between you and the money. Make sure to start pushing for elite status as prize money goes by gun time you're getting very competitive so may as well capitalize on it. Having back master bib would've helped. I noticed in Boston no one wore their back bibs. No one wants to be hunted

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Laura

Cinnamon- Congrats on the marathon, I have heard amazing things about that race!

DW- Awesome run at Broad Street!

Hi all - It's been a while. But I am back, and for real this time. I had a really hard personal last few months and just needed to step back running and training to focus on my well being and try and keep life afloat (I'm okay - but losing my job triggered some lingering PPD/PPA that got pretty bad). I still ran Boston, gave it a go for the first half but knew that the lack of solid training (I rested more than I ran the few weeks before the race) would kick in and I didn't feel like burying myself for no reason so I pulled the plug and ran the second half easy, still ran 3:04 so can't really complain.

I took 2 weeks off after Boston and started working in some runs last week. I am going to do a bunch of local short races around here for May-June and then I am building for Erie marathon. I think the low key marathon will be better for me than Boston was. I mean, when I ran my PR last year at Buffalo I was alone a lot so that doesn't hold me back. We will see how training goes but the plan is to try and break 2:50 there. I'm looking forward to training and consistency again, I will be doing a lot of my easy runs with the stroller this summer and my sassy 2 year old so that will help strength building for sure.

Looking forward to catching up and following along with everyone again, sorry for bailing for a while but mentally needed to step back from a LOT of things.

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}