New weight lifting routine (Read 1912 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ouch! I just started Self magazine's 30 day challenge and am trying to do their weight lifting routine. I haven't lifted weights in ... oh ... let's just say a while. I'd forgotten how many different ways you can be sore! But anyways, it's a pretty cool site for getting beginning weight routines. Check out www.self.com - they have a free 30 day challenge that includes step-by-step instructions for routines you can do at home, streaming video instruction, or (my favorite) MP3 downloads. They also have cardio and diet advice. How many of you out there lift weights at home? It just amazes me how many different muscles you can work with just a set of dumbells and a little room.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I really like Tamilee Webb's "I Want Those Arms" as a starter workout (the entire "I Want That Body" DVD is good beginner/intermediate). I need to do that long enough to get bored with it, then move on to some Cathe Friedrich stuff--she is brutal! As much as I am loving running, I don't want a T-Rex body--powerful legs and wimpy little arms. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

"I want those arms" reminds me of those old "buns of steel" tapes... It's so funny how we (people in general) get so hung up on one little body part! I've been having trouble keeping motivated... you know... doing things at home just ain't the same as, say, getting out there and running! Ah, excuses, excuses! Anybody got some self-motivating tips for doing weight training when you really don't want to but know you should?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"I want those arms" reminds me of those old "buns of steel" tapes...
          And with good reason--same woman created it. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh! Well, that explains it! /rolls eyes/ Well, I guess if you've got a formula that works, why change it, eh? "Works" in this case meaning mucho $$$!

here's some stuff you can do at home http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks, Woburn. I'll check them out! Janell

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What do you think of weights as versus using your body (i.e., pushups and situps) for strengthening?
                    Anybody got some self-motivating tips for doing weight training when you really don't want to but know you should?
                    Janell, I used to dread doing weight workouts. I've found, though, now that I've gotten past the "hump" of starting, if I only do 20 minute segments...upper one day and lower another day, I don't get bored and it's pretty easy to fit into my schedule. I've just started doing it more regularly and already have seen results. By giving it a small effort (like 20"/day), you will see changes incredibly fast. This is what keeps me motivated! Smile

Dog-Love

What do you think of weights as versus using your body (i.e., pushups and situps) for strengthening?
                      Well for me, I can't do a decent pull up so free weights help me get stronger so I can. I am pathetic at push ups but I am really increasing the weight I can bench press. I like the idea of getting stronger combined with losing weight, because I am getting closer to lifting my own weight. Sit ups are for me most efficient without weights/machines. My motivation is having a friend call me and get me into the gym 2x a week and I can really tell the difference in my strngth.
                      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Lazy idiot

Interesting that you brought this up, Trent. I work out with a personal trainer once or twice a week, and over half of the work I do each week is without any weight whatsoever. Pushups and curl-ups (variation on a sit-up) are part of the routine, but also we do a lot of isolation of the stabilizing muscles in the abdomen and back to promote good posture and a balanced body (a lot of folks are more interested in getting large biceps, etc. and they forget about the rhomboids, transverse abs, etc.) I was amazed at how worn out I can get without a dumbell in my hand. Modified to add: maybe it's because I'm a sissy? Roll eyes

Tick tock

depends. for upper-body, where i'm weaker in general, i do a lot w/ bodyweight only-- endless varieties of pushups!-- but for balance i'll also do some stuff w/ weights as well (tabata intervals w/ dumbbells and/or cable pulls, bent-over piston rows, etc). when i use weights, i don't necessarily do the "low weight, high reps" thing that most runners stick with-- i'm a woman, i'm not going to bulk up to the point of slowing myself down through gained muscle mass, even if i use high weight. so i do use as much weight as i can handle through 6-8 reps of an activity w/o having my form fall apart. i've just been lifting this way since winter, and it seems to help-- i feel a lot stronger in general (and i have sweet guns for the first time since high school, haha!), and at the end of a long run when my legs are starting to feel heavy, my upper body is now strong enough to help keep my rhythm steady. for lower body & full-body, i rely on weighted lunges, weighted deadlifts & weighted squats most of the time. although my trainer ("my"-- ha, i can afford to call him that like, 4x a year) recently had me doing pistol squats which were much harder than anything i'd ever tried w/ weight attached! for unweighted lower/full body, i make sure there's a plyometric aspect-- something with POP that will make the activity more meaningful than just a slow up, slow down (trainer says it's beneficial to all varieties of muscle fibers to do this). i've seen definite improvement in my leg strength, which has helped my stride and junk over the last few months and has *definitely* helped me reduce issues w/ an old hip injury. the only thing is that i have on at least one occasion gotten carried away w/ my lifting too close to a race and had crappy, heavy, unrecovered legs before the race and had a terrible race performance because of it. that's my own idiocy, though.