Camelbaks have a limitation (Read 834 times)

In the winter I run the tubing under my clothes and the end feeds up through the neck area. Also I found if after taking a drink I blow into the tube forcing any liquid in the line back into the bladder. This is also effective in the summer so you don:t get a mouthfull of hot liquid.
    Yep, this is a useful technique. I do something similar when I'm snowboarding - I bring the tube into my coat through the armpit vent (I know, sounds nasty), and run it up inside my coat to my mouth. Works like a charm, even in the coldest weather. I do not, however, run far enough yet to warrant bringing water with me on my runs.

2011 Goals:
    sub 17min 5k
    5:15 mile?
    (well, maybe next year)

Put Vodka in it. Big grin
      Scout7

Put Vodka in it. Big grin
        If I could find one that had a dual chamber bladder, I would so be on that.....Vodka in half, tonic in the other.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I ran a 16 miler in the 20 degree chill the other night, no fluids with me. I was shocked at how dry I was when I got home. I was dryer than I would have been running in the heat and humidity; I drank all night after that. Weird.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I ran a 16 miler in the 20 degree chill the other night, no fluids with me. I was shocked at how dry I was when I got home. I was dryer than I would have been running in the heat and humidity; I drank all night after that. Weird.
            Yep...dry air, but you still sweat. At least I do. My running clothes are still soaked when I return from a run, even though I don't feel overheated. I find that my mouth gets much dryer when the air is super cold, too. And the central heating really does a number on my skin and hair this time of the year, so I still drink just as much water as I do in the Summer. But that vodka (or rum...or maybe tequila) idea in the camelback is a good one. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Beer would still freeze, I think...unless it was really strong. But would all the jostling make it a foamy mess? Might it cause the Camelbak to explode...'cause that would probably look pretty gross all over my backside, particularly if I were drinking a really dark brew... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You need to drink it before it goes flat or freezes...
                Scout7

Go with Guinness. No need to worry about carbonation then.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...so I should put the beer in the Camelbak, chug it, then go on my run. Ok. Probably not a good time to try trail running, though... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, the Guiness has a slight nitrogen carbonation. Wait. What about a good red wine?
                      Scout7

No, the Guiness has a slight nitrogen carbonation.
                        Right, but it's not going to froth up like other beer. That was my point. K, you need to come to PA for some of our trail runs. Beer on the course at the water stops. Spaten and Franziskaner at the finish.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I hear that somebody had beer on the Monkey course. Perhaps this deserves its own thread...
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What about a good red wine?
                            Hmmm...and red is OK a little warm, too...yum! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

K, you need to come to PA for some of our trail runs. Beer on the course at the water stops. Spaten and Franziskaner at the finish.
                              Ooh, my brother LOVES Spaten...I should bring him along, too. He rarely runs more than 3 miles, so even though he's WAY faster than I am, I could probably out-run him if we went 2-3x his usual distance. Though that trail thing...that's kinda skeery. I have a hard enough time keeping my klutzy self upright on flat pavement. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay