First race completed! (Read 134 times)

diane_77

Congrats on your first race!  I'm a newbie too, and I'm running my third race in a little over a week.  This running this thing is pretty cool ,huh!

Running Chick

congratulations on your first race!  cool.  another 5k is cool, a 10k, whatever.  if it keeps you motivated to do something healthy, that's great.  i don't always think someone needs to progress distance-wise (ie, to a 10k, then half then to a marathon, or whatever, unless they want to).  i run mid-distance (about 12 mile runs), and some of my friends run 3 miles and have enjoyed that for 30 years.  whatever feels right to you.  and again, congratulations!  love.

Deneb19

many different ways to go about things & so many different workout types.  can be mind boggling & will we ever know for sure what the absolute best plan is for any particular person especially in the long run scheme of things..  You can be very strict about following a detailed plan or just use them as a guide & make adjustments as needed as you go.  don't have to be married to it. personal preference.  At this early stage of your running, improvement will come naturally just by getting out there consistently. You will see great improvement in a short period of time, but how much of that is the plan or just you being consistent  day by day, week by week, month by month?. At this stage of your running does it really matter how the improvement comes? If you like the runkeeper plan & it helps your motivation by all means go for it!  looked up Runkeeper & it looks good with good reviews but was not able to see any specific details,unfortunately, unless you sign up for it.  Pretty cool you can have all that data on your hardware!   so anyway, go through the plan, run a couple more races over next few weeks/months & evaluate where you are at that point & what your goals are.  In the future you will look back & see your evolution as a runner.  At that point you will have a better understanding of the whys & hows of different training plans & different types of workouts.  You may find a plan that fits you better or you may decide to continue with Runkeeper.

Whatever you do keep it simple, mix it up,  & have fun!     make running part of your normal lifestyle.  My wife never asks me anymore if I'm running today.  the question she asks is "where are you running today?"

good luck & Run Happy

I got the training plan from Runkeeper. It's their sub-30 5K plan. I'm hoping that plan is somewhat decent? Of course, if I feel the plan is moving too fast, I can always stretch it out a while. I'm not sure when my next race will be but...

Deneb19

many different ways to go about things & so many different workout types.  can be mind boggling & will we ever know for sure what the absolute best plan is for any particular person especially in the long run scheme of things..  You can be very strict about following a detailed plan or just use them as a guide & make adjustments as needed as you go.  don't have to be married to it. personal preference.  At this early stage of your running, improvement will come naturally just by getting out there consistently. You will see great improvement in a short period of time, but how much of that is the plan or just you being consistent  day by day, week by week, month by month?. At this stage of your running does it really matter how the improvement comes? If you like the runkeeper plan & it helps your motivation by all means go for it!  looked up Runkeeper & it looks good with good reviews but was not able to see any specific details,unfortunately, unless you sign up for it.  Pretty cool you can have all that data on your hardware!   so anyway, go through the plan, run a couple more races over next few weeks/months & evaluate where you are at that point & what your goals are.  In the future you will look back & see your evolution as a runner.  At that point you will have a better understanding of the whys & hows of different training plans & different types of workouts.  You may find a plan that fits you better or you may decide to continue with Runkeeper.

Whatever you do keep it simple, mix it up,  & have fun!     make running part of your normal lifestyle.  My wife never asks me anymore if I'm running today.  the question she asks is "where are you running today?"

good luck & Run Happy

Definitely, don't want running to become a "task" that I feel I "need to do". At that point, the fun has been taken out of it. I don't want that. Although I do like a plan to follow so that I do continue to get out there and run -- it's like a form of motivation and giving me something to look forward to. I think the point for me that it would stop becoming unenjoyable is when the training exceeds my abilities as a runner. Taking a training plan as a guide (and choosing to repeat a week or two) will give me time to adjust. Thanks for the insight and advice, skyedog.  Smile

5K: 33:21 (2013)

I think the point for me that it would stop becoming unenjoyable is when the training exceeds my abilities as a runner. 

never thought of it that way, but you are right!   another way to say it is "overtraining"     As you continue along your abilities as a runner will greatly improve, who knows what your ultimate abilities as a runner are?  same goes for anyone else too.   For anyone who is really serious about  improving its always a challenge to find the right balance between how much stress you can (or want to)  handle  & injury/burnout.

My wife never asks me anymore if I'm running today.  the question she asks is "where are you running today?"

good luck & Run Happy

My wife does the same thing. She always worries that I'll get hurt / hit by a car, etc. It's a little crazy, but it gives me the oppurtunity to brag a little. It also forces me to think about pace. If I tell her what time I will be home... I WILL be home on time!!!