Ankle Brace for Running (Read 2525 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I recently sprained my ankle pretty badly and have been wearing a boot and going to PT to speed up recovery. The PT gave me this ASO ankle brace so that I can start doing some short walks and eventually easy jogs. It works well enough, but isn't terribly comfortable and kind of bulky to fit into a running shoe. Can anyone recommend a different brace or should I just stick with this one?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've been wearing this Ace brace to give a tiny bit of extra support as I was fighting PTT dysfunction.  I'm guessing it isn't enough support for you at first, but maybe later, as you're recovering.

If you need that much bracing, its probably better just to use that one for  easy walk/jog. Once you get past that point, then maybe just a neoprene or elastic support.

I've used both in the past usually for a week or two after I'm able to run. I've got weak ankles and manage to roll my ankle every other year or so.

Get off my porch

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I could never do the ASO one, either...wouldn't fit in any shoes.  The one I had best luck with is the top one here.  Dick's Sporting Goods carried it.  They don't show it on their site, so check a store if you have one near you.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The Ace and neoprene type supports probably wouldn't be enough support right now, but might be a good idea later. Especially when I'm running trails.

Kirsten, the link you posted gives a Bad Request error.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten, the link you posted gives a Bad Request error.

Try this one (I converted the PDF page to a gif)...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I sprained my bad ankle last SEP, and the doc gave me that same brace.  It's too bulky and restrictive for running, IMO, and it dug into my foot I tried.

For stabilization while running, I went with athletic taping for the next 2-3 weeks.  Not KT or kinesio tape, but actual sport tape.  Cheap as hell from almost any sporting goods store.  Put the under-wrap stuff on first (unless you shave your legs), then tape it per instructions for lateral stability of the ankle.  I think I went with lower and upper anchors, 2-3 figure-8 loops, and then lower and upper finishing strips to keep the figure-8 ends secured.  You may have to do it a couple times to get a feel for proper tension and placement.

Some of the online videos show hardy taping, as if you were in the NFL.  You don't need all that, but the vids can still convey the concept.  Here's one that's useful and benign.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thanks Kirsten. That looks promising.

Clive, that's something to consider. I had looked at Rock Tape, but that could get expensive.

Thanks.