Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Plus, right nearby is Whiskey Priest where you can get the Sam Adams 26.2 Brew on tap. 

Is 26.2 the alcohol by volume?

Julia1971

11766. Goal is 3:19:59.

No lie - I almost got hit by a car today. I think it's the first time I actually yelled "a-hole!" at a stranger. (Except I used the real swear - gasp!). THEN, some woman steps on my foot coming off the Metro. Her I just gave my "Seriously?" face because I couldn't believe it... I may need to get a rabbit's foot or whatever we buy now to drive away bad mojo.

Bib #14952 (white).  Oh the pressure to perform....

xhristopher

No lie - I almost got hit by a car today. I think it's the first time I actually yelled "a-hole!" at a stranger. (Except I used the real swear - gasp!). 

Similar situation for me recently. A driver ran a red as I was starting to run through the crosswalk light that said it was my turn. It was raining so I slipped and hit the deck while dodging her. After I got up I told her to "Hang up the F***ing phone" and pay attention to what she was doing. Once I got across the street a guy was standing there with his 3ish year old son and complained to me about my language. WTF People!?! 

henryc

Nice weather yesterday

That was yesterday afternoon. Everything's getting prettied up.

around 3:35, my PR

cstlrnr

I don't know about security, but that expo is PACKED and aisles are narrow.  I loved everything about Boston, but really, really hated the expo.  Every runner brought every last member of their extended family with them, and you couldn't move through the place without battling the build up of children and great-great aunts.  Of course, I also went at a really dumb time in the middle of the afternoon the day before.  If you just get your bib and shirt you will be fine.  That is in the front.  I just wouldn't try to get a bag around in the area with the booths.

Thanks for your help.  I received a message from baa saying they weren't sure and would need to check with security.  I am only bringing a backpack with me, not a big piece of luggage.  I'm going to try and keep it light.  If worse comes to worse I'll just go to a cafe and eat and read a book until I can check in at the hotel.  My husband just found out today that he has a stress fracture, so I may end up running his race the weekend after Boston.  My bib number is 12677, Wave 2, Corral 4.  I just ran a 3:12:13 less than a month ago, very happy with that, so no real pressure for me at Boston.  I'd like to enjoy it, but I do have a plane to catch later that day.  

Anybody know of a good place to hang out and relax for a few hours either near Back Bay or the expo (in case I get denied)?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Bib #14952 (white).  Oh the pressure to perform....

15966-----2 / 7

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your help.  I received a message from baa saying they weren't sure and would need to check with security.  I am only bringing a backpack with me, not a big piece of luggage.  I'm going to try and keep it light.  If worse comes to worse I'll just go to a cafe and eat and read a book until I can check in at the hotel.  My husband just found out today that he has a stress fracture, so I may end up running his race the weekend after Boston.  My bib number is 12677, Wave 2, Corral 4.  I just ran a 3:12:13 less than a month ago, very happy with that, so no real pressure for me at Boston.  I'd like to enjoy it, but I do have a plane to catch later that day.  

Anybody know of a good place to hang out and relax for a few hours either near Back Bay or the expo (in case I get denied)?

A good many hotels will let you leave you luggage with them before you can check in......is that an option?

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Anyway, if any of you that have done this before know if there is going to be an issue with security bringing my bag (I'm planning on packing light) to the expo that would be great?

FWIW I brought what turned out to be a completely unnecessary backpack with me to last year's expo, thinking I'd need it for the stuff I was probably going to acquire. Nobody looked twice at it.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

bhearn

The expo moved to a new venue for this year due to a scheduling conflict. Some may complain about getting there but the Convention Center is a much larger and nicer facility so hopefully the extra breathing room will help.

You mean the Seaport World Trade Center? They had it there a few years ago too. I don't recall it helping the crowding any, but I may be misremembering. Basically, the expo is a mob scene, period. Still worth wandering around, there's just so much there. I always hit the Saucony booth -- they often have new shoes there that haven't hit the market yet.

And yes, I'm complaining about getting there. Much simpler at Hynes.

xhristopher

You mean the Seaport World Trade Center? They had it there a few years ago too. I don't recall it helping the crowding any, but I may be misremembering. Basically, the expo is a mob scene, period. Still worth wandering around, there's just so much there. I always hit the Saucony booth -- they often have new shoes there that haven't hit the market yet.

And yes, I'm complaining about getting there. Much simpler at Hynes.

Crap!! Looks like I'm wrong and you are right. That's just a couple blocks away but a lot smaller. Yeah, it will be cramped and suck. Getting there will be easy for me so I'll be sure to bring an entourage.

Bib 18109   Wave 3, corral 1

If the crazy weather lands on the nice side, I'd like 3:50...if it turns out to be life sucking hot, then I'll cruise along and enjoy the ride, nice & easy. Still running Boston, still finishing another state, so I'll take whatever time I can get.    Smile

Michelle

Adamiata

Bib #4583, Wave 1, corral 5.

Here's a last minute question: I'm a semi-local and plan to drive down to Boston early on Marathon Day. My wife will drop me off as close as possible to Copley so I can catch a 6 am bus to the start. She'll then handle parking on her own as she's very familiar with the city. Is this a really dumb idea? I'm hoping the traffic and road closures will be light in the early morning so I can actually get to the buses.

Bib #4583, Wave 1, corral 5.

Here's a last minute question: I'm a semi-local and plan to drive down to Boston early on Marathon Day. My wife will drop me off as close as possible to Copley so I can catch a 6 am bus to the start. She'll then handle parking on her own as she's very familiar with the city. Is this a really dumb idea? I'm hoping the traffic and road closures will be light in the early morning so I can actually get to the buses.

I think it may be better to get on the Orange line from somewhere and get off at Back Bay.  Anywhere near Copley area is going to be like a zoo on Monday.  I had a dinner with a kid who's now going to Emmerson and he told me one of the resins why they close school Monday is because kids can't even get outside!!  Most of streets on Boylston, all the way down to Common, will be closed.  That way, she can park the car at the train station somewhere--cheaper that way too--and come to Copley with you, and Back Bay is literally a block from Copley.  Starbucks on the corner there too!! ;o)  Good luck Monday!!  Get ready for a warm weather!