Daily carbs needed during intense training regiment (Read 72 times)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I am currently running in a popular running series in Memphis which is a race every two weeks, 10 races total, building up to 10m and half in October/November. I'm in the shorter races right now but the whole series is cumulative time so focusing my training on the 10-13m distances will pay off.

Since I don't need to carb load for the shorter races but my weekly training is going to be pretty intense the next few months with 30-35 miles per week with lots of tempo runs of 6-10 mi and 10-15 mi long runs, do I need to be eating more carbs in my regular diet? I have been doing what some call "The Caveman Diet" for the past year which you eat lots of protein/meat (mostly lean) and I don't really eat that many carbs. I have been trying to eat more fruit but it only ends up being 1-2 servings per day and I am lucky if I get myself to eat more than 5-6 servings of veggies per week.

While I have lost about 25 lbs over the past year with serious running, I still have some of my dad bod and could afford to lose 5-15 more lbs. Will eating additional carbs during my training weeks (getting up to 40-45 miles per week later) for energy to improve speed and endurance help? Or could I even focus on losing another 5-10 lbs to make me faster? I will still carb load before the long races and mini-load before some of my really long runs.

I also know the likely response to this but I have to disclose (so I'm honest) that I do have 3-4 beers/drinks several nights of the week. I am cutting back during this training regiment but I see no reason to completely stop. I'm not considering beer a source of carbs in this discussion.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

paul2432

If you have the weight to lose, losing 10 lbs will make you faster.  I don’t think you necessarily need more carbs.  If you feel sluggish maybe add some.

Cutting back on on the drinking is probably a good idea.

If you are feeling sluggish, it's likely due to increased mileage Cut back for a week by taking an extra day off or shorten one or two runs and see if that bring the spring back in your step the following week.

Surprised that cavemen drank beer Smile

It's not necessarily a matter of "needed" but probably more like "optimal." As far as I've heard, performance increases with moderate (60%) carbs versus low carbs.

Lol at happyfeet.  Me caveman too!

rlopez

Losing the 5-10 pounds will help and the magic way to do that is to cut back from 3-4 beers to 1-2. Take it from a beer expert :-/

Aside from that, on 35 mpw,  "lots of tempo runs of 6-10 mi".... I guess I wonder what "lots" really is and how many of these are 6 vs 10. If you mean actual tempo runs, spend 20-45 minutes in that "comfortably hard" zone. My bet is that this is not a 10 mile run. And if it IS a 10 mile run, and you are doing "lots", and you only have 20-25 mpw of play space when factoring in your 10-15 mile long run... brother, you might want to do a bit more easy running.

As for being hardcore focused on eating, I dunno. There's a lot going on here already. Just eat sensibly.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have lost some weight and did it while eating at least 300 grams of carbs a day

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes