Too soon to train again? (Read 941 times)

watamg

Hi All,

I am rather new here. Just ran chicago, had a great time. Looking for advice on what to do next?

I have a hometown marathon here in Tallahassee in early february- 2/5 i believe- would it be too muc for me to recover this month (actively recover) and then start training again for another marathon? I would only have 12 weeks, but have a substantial base that this point, I followed a 24 week plan of 6dys/week for chicago.

anyone? anyone?

Alison

Marquess of Utopia

I can't see your training log so I have no idea. Some people run a cool down after a marathon and resume training the next day. Some people wait 2 weeks.

I feel that slow jogging 3+ miles the day after the marathon helps to speed recovery.

You should be fine to run a marathon on 2/5. Good luck

kaneb80

My 2 cents...

Yes, I think you'll be prepped to run a fast time in Feb without issue. Continue easy running until you naturally feel like it's time to put in a 'hard' workout and then listen to how your body responds. My experience says the 15 days after a marathon are all about listening to your body's feedback. Some get back into 'training' more quickly than others.

Another thing to focus on is how you feel psychologically and emotionally. Reason being, it is my opinion that getting to the starting line hungry as opposed to burned out due to non-stop training is essential. Just another thing to consider as you ramp back up...

See if you can break 3:45:00!

Feeling the growl again

Not much info to go on, but the timeframe would seem reasonable.  You already trained for one and did fine, so it's not like you are starting from scratch.

Regarding recovery from a marathon, that is highly individual but generally I recommend not resuming harder workouts until your legs feel fine....and you have waited for another week beyond that.  But this is a very generalized recommendation.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hi All,

I am rather new here. Just ran chicago, had a great time. Looking for advice on what to do next?

I have a hometown marathon here in Tallahassee in early february- 2/5 i believe- would it be too muc for me to recover this month (actively recover) and then start training again for another marathon? I would only have 12 weeks, but have a substantial base that this point, I followed a 24 week plan of 6dys/week for chicago.

anyone? anyone?

Alison

Why wait until Feb?

December 10, 2011

the Tallahassee Ultra Distance Classic 50K and 50M!

Flat  and paved course. 6 miles past marathon for the 50K.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

watamg

Why wait until Feb?

December 10, 2011

the Tallahassee Ultra Distance Classic 50K and 50M!

Flat  and paved course. 6 miles past marathon for the 50K.

I am scared of a 50K!!!!! Smile

Mariposai

anyone? anyone?

Alison

Of course you can do it!, if your heart tells you that you can!

Heck, I ran two marathons in three weeks, which qualified me for a marathon maniac status!!!!

You can do it, if you thin you CAN!

BTW, I ran three marathons in 6 weeks and I qualified for Boston in my last marathon!!!

Of course you can,

if you think you CAN!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

I was too, but you know what....I nice 50K run very easy, is not as hard as a road marathon - really ! I ran a very tough and hilly 50K trail race 3 weeks ago, and my mileage before the race was very low due to some sciatica issues. I ran it with a runner gal I know, and we both just slow poked around and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Heck, the last 6 miles we picked the pace up, and finished pretty strong. I will say...that was the easiest LONG run of my life - running it easy.

I have marathon in Indianapolis tomorrow - another one in Indy Nov 5th - then a trail marathon - 50K - and my first ever 100K trail race in Bandera Texas....all about 3 weeks apart. Some I will race - some will be ran easy...I listen to my body well

Just food for thought....why not keep going, you don't have to stop racing or running long Smile

I became a Marathon Maniac too last fall (3309) running a marathon - trail marathon - and 50K in 40 days. Great thing about this -  all my long runs where races...

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

You're very right to be scared of a 50K, I learned this back in the day when I ran my first ultra.

The lesson of that day? Never run a 50K when there is a perfectly good 50 miler you can run instead; why on earth would you skip all the good parts?

Marathon Maniac #3309

You're very right to be scared of a 50K, I learned this back in the day when I ran my first ultra.

The lesson of that day? Never run a 50K when there is a perfectly good 50 miler you can run instead; why on earth would you skip all the good parts?

+1

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!