Trying to Run Again (Read 204 times)

oldgoat69

I ran a couple of half marathons back in 2016-2017 and decided to take a little break.  Well, that break turned into 2 years.  I'm tired of being out of shape and hit the pavement again today.  It was brutal to say the least.  It took me 25:06 to trot 2 miles.  My legs were heavy, breathing sucked, and could even taste a little metallic.  I'm 50yo, so I didn't expect to burn it up, but I didn't really expect it to be that bad either.  Has anyone had experience with a long break from running and then get back into it?  Can I reasonably expect to get to where I was before as far as distance and times, or am I wishful thinking?  Thanks for any advice/input.

paul2432

You definitely can get back, you can probably well exceed your previous times and distances.  It takes 7-10 years of progressively harder training to reach full running potential.  You came nowhere near your full potential in your 2016-2017 stint.  Sure you're battling age, but the improvements you can get through consistent training are much greater than what you will lose through age.  Only when you are near your true potential does age start to slow  you down.

It won't be easy or happen overnight.  Patience and consistency will be the keys.  You may need to train harder than you did before.

Can I reasonably expect to get to where I was before as far as distance and times, or am I wishful thinking?  Thanks for any advice/input.

Well it all depends on your history as to whether you can get back exactly to where you were. But you can get back. You'll have to push through some shitty runs for a while though. So hopefully you have the motivation to keep you going, and avoid whatever made you stop in the first place. Being 50 will not be an impediment to your comeback.

Dave

Still kicking

ABSOLUTELY. I got seriously injured at 36 years old, and it took 16 years to make a return. I started again at 52 years old. By 53 I was winning age groups, and even a few overalls. I'm even back to my High School weight. I'm still at it, and will be 60 next year. I'll never forget that first run back. I took my dog with me. We didn't even make it to the end of the street and back.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

GinnyinPA

Patience is key right now. Think of yourself as a new first time runner and throw any expectations of time or distance out the window. Trying to push yourself too hard at the moment to get back to where you were is likely to get you injured, so keep your pace easy, no matter how slow that is, and build your mileage back very conservatively.

I started running at 55 and developed a pelvic stress fracture a few days before my first half marathon. It took 7 months before I could run without pain. I build up again to HM distance and got injured again - probably from doing too much too soon. It took another 5 months before I was back to running normally. I worked hard and build my mileage again so I was able to run half marathons and eventually 5 marathons. My pace improved bit by bit. I place in my AG in most of my local races and was able to qualify for and run Boston. By working hard I was able to far surpass what I was doing before my injuries. By being cautious, I've avoided any more stress fractures or other run ending injuries.

I just got started last month after 7 years and many false starts of 2 to 3 weeks. This time feels different and I've hit it steady for almost two months now. The first month sucked pretty bad, but I just kept plugging away and now things are feeling much better. I haven't been worrying about times, just getting out there and putting in a few miles consistently. Last week the weight started coming off and that is always a nice incentive to keep going. Hang in there, it just keeps getting better and better if you take it slow. Oh, I just turned 62 and I am ready to keep going till they make me stop this time!

oldgoat69

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I guess I just have to push through the shit part to get back to where I need to be.  Lesson learned though.  I won't take another damn break.

It took me a while to feel like I was "in control" running again after a long hiatus.

It's really about consistency and patience. Run/walks with no time or pace goals for a few months will do wonders. Actually, leave the damn watch at home! Or cover the face with tape if you want to use a GPS watch to track miles. If you're going out 4+ times a week, I bet by March you'll be doing fine and ready for some "serious" runs, and marathons by next Fall. If not earlier.

Others have probably said it, but don't try to over-do it. Injuries suck. I never had any when I was running in HS and college and beyond, but when I started running again at 48 I was doing great until a torn gluteus medius on a Mile time trial with a local track club (happened with 200 to go and I limp-ran it in thinking it was a cramp and barely broke 5:00). Out for 3-4 months because I kept trying to run on it too soon. Next year new injury: Achilles. Totally out for 5-6 months because I tried to "run through it". Gradual return to decent mileage over 4-6 months after that half year of limping, and it still flares up when I do speed work. Two years later: PF. Out for a month and a painful, gradual return to "normal" over 6 months. Next year: Soleus. Out for two months. The last couple years have been the return of the injured achilles sidelining me for a few weeks to a month a couple times a year. Because I'm about as smart as a Pakled.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

RichardR

Hi.

I'm in almost the same situation. I've run on again, off again since I was 14.  Perhaps the best stretch I have ever had was from about 2006-2017. 11 years in which the longest break I had was 14 weeks.  I ran several half marathons during that time, with a best near 1:50, except for one lonely time trial done in flat Roseau, MN in which every mile was 8:03 or less and the final time was about 1:44 flat (near as I can recall).  So, for years, my basic week was like this:  Monday morning...10 miles.  (I have a job in which the weekends are the most strenuous, and Mondays tend to be slower).

Then, starting in summer of 2017, I noticed a nagging pain in my right knee.  By November, if I tried to run 1 mile, I would scarce be able to walk for 2 days afterwards.  Self-diagnosis: biomechanical issues.  2 long years of stretches, certain bio-mechanical exercises (I really like the Egoscue program), and this past summer I thought I was nearing being ready to try running again.  But, not quite....

So, I bought a cheap pair of used Roller Blades to try to build some cardio fitness.  Did that for a few weeks.  In my work, the busiest time of year is mid-July through Labor Day.  No time for any such things at all, really.

Which brings me, finally, to Mid-Sept, when I finally put my running shoes back on and tried to run 2 miles.  I was expecting to go at about 9:20 or so for a pace (although i wasn't watching closely.  I just start my watch, and click it to finish at the end, and hardly worry about splits, really.  I can look later).  NO WAY.  Maybe 10:15/mi.  For 2 measly miles.  It was pretty discouraging.  But, I always felt better when I was running, so I decided I would stick to it.

Here is my October:

Week of Sept 30 - Oct 6:  2 runs.  Total of 4 miles

Week of Oct 7 - 13: 3 runs.  5.2 miles

Week of Oct 14 - 20: 4 runs. 10 miles

Week of Oct 21 -27: 5 runs.  13 miles

Today: 5 miles.  First time for 5 miles in 2 full years.

About pace:  I can run 1 mile in under 9:00 if I really push, but it's hard.  However, a month ago, there was no chance of that.

My 5 miles today were at 10:15 pace, which is slow by my historic standards, but I could have done 2 more if I had to, and even 10:15 for 5 miles seems satisfying compared to where I was a month ago.

I know I have a long way to go.  I have no dreams of getting back to running a half-marathon at 8:20.  But, way out on the distant horizon, I can see a change of 10 miles at 9:00.  And, hey, I'm 52.  I would be really happy with that.

So, my message is:  I know the feeling.  Been there, very recently.  In some ways, still there now.  But, even a month has made a big difference in how I feel about it.  It will be the same for you.  Just be happy with every step.  No comparing to where you were before. Only compare your progress to where you were a month ago.  It makes it feel much better.

Seattle prattle

I'd keep the thing in perspective. I mean, you only ran for one day.

oldgoat69

Again, thanks for all the replies. Yes, it was my first run back, but it was still discouraging. One positive is that I did feel better after the run. A sort of an accomplishment. I just hate to run/walk, but if that’s what it takes then I’ll do it.

morphex

I run, cycle, swim, do a set of body weight exercises, do a set of strength exercises, and do different small set of strength exercises + whatever I feel like that day, for example kickboxing on a punching bag.

I think it's easy to get injuries if only focusing on one thing.

If you only want to run, maybe get a PT to setup a complementary strength program.

I think it will build stamina and strength to do different things, and then maybe cut away some amount of strength exercises when you don't have enough energy or stamina to do it all, or have stopped progressing on running.

I train for triathlons, and if I have a sore arse for example, I can push and progress on something else for a couple of weeks.

I use few machines, there is the cable cross at the gym and a machine to isolate the calf muscles.

I've heard some talk of it being easier to get into shape if one has exercised in earlier years. I think there is something to that.

Oh and stretching..

I'm 39, getting close to running as fast as I did 10+ years ago. I was 20 kilos heavier than I am now, and not that fit 2 years ago when I started at the gym again. And today I'm running fast even though I'm heavier, older, and stronger than I was 10+ years ago.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

Science says stretching is next to useless, and often worse than doing nothing. But if it feels good, do it.

morphex

Well, that's what has been recommended to me by different health personell over the years. Then again I had injuries.

I don't have a degree, I don't have a formal background.

But there was some talk about not stretching straight after a run. I don't stretch straight after, I usually do it late in the evening / the next day.

I was reading about piriformis syndrome, and that the nerve could be irritated both from a too tight a muscle, as well as too loose.

I stretch, and find that it helps.

Science says stretching is next to useless, and often worse than doing nothing. But if it feels good, do it.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com