I finished my first triathlon (sprint distance) today (Read 1449 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There is an ocean swim/5K race in Delaware next weekend. But jellyfish are out now I hear Sad

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

jingchunyu

I think that is an advantage to us runners -- at least we get to be strong and probably even have a chance of passing people in the last leg of the race Smile

How  were weights of each sport in a triathlon determined in the first place?  I think weights favor cyclists

most.

The voice of mile 18

great job I was down saturday cheering on my brother in law and you weren't the only one in beach shorts and riding a bike w/ a kick stand. hope you had fun!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

How  were weights of each sport in a triathlon determined in the first place?  I think weights favor cyclists

most.

To the OP - well done on your first tri.

And I must agree with the above poster - I also think that triathlons favour cyclists especially the longer triathlons.  But that could just be because it is my worst by far and I am battling to improve on it.  I am pretty much a middle of the pack runner and swimmer but my cycling - well that is a totally different story.

The voice of mile 18

most.

just guessing here but the first ironman was a combination of 3 sports a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 two day bike ride and a marathon

defintiely favors the cyclists and runners

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

33 year old man died in my hometown on Saturday during a sprint tri.  Like most tri-deaths it was his first tri and he drowned.  people have to respect the difficulty of swimming. 

I heard the news on the radio on my way to work and had to check the details because I knew a guy doing his first tri in that race and it is not a large race.  I had just talked to him about drownings in triathlons.  he said he was going to stear wide and stay out of trouble.  it wasn't the guy I knew. 

Slo

33 year old man died in my hometown on Saturday during a sprint tri.  Like most tri-deaths it was his first tri and he drowned.  people have to respect the difficulty of swimming. 

I heard the news on the radio on my way to work and had to check the details because I knew a guy doing his first tri in that race and it is not a large race.  I had just talked to him about drownings in triathlons.  he said he was going to stear wide and stay out of trouble.  it wasn't the guy I knew. 

Doug,

You may want to get your facts straight. Being a 1st timer has little to nothing to do with it and most Triathlon deaths are not 1st timers.

Fact

Studies from Jan 2006 thru Sept 2008........922,810 Triathletes.....14 deaths.....13 swimming. 6 autopsy records from those 13 made available. 4 had underlying heart problems. It was thought the other two suffered from an irregular rythym.

Most common factor.......cold water.

Per Million participants Triathlon is about twice the rate as Marathoning. Swimming poses a risk to every participant.........Not just 1st timers.....and cold water is the most likey cause. It has always been highly recommended to get accustomed to the water temp before the race.

this was a July 11 race.  the water was not cold.  he was overweight.  it was his first race.  an experienced triathlon competitor would not have been in that position.  it sounds like several beginners were in trouble in this race. 

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/50592947.html

West Allis firefighter Steve Peterson was in a kayak assisting lifeguards. He says several people who seemingly weren't prepared for the triathlon were struggling in the water and needed help. One man in particular was in bad shape.

"He grabbed onto the lifeguard boat on the first turn. He was there for a short period of time. He was resting for a while," Peterson said.

Not long after that, Murry, who was from Milwaukee, got in trouble again.

"He went down like a rock. I got up from the kayak, ran to the front, dove off the front, got to where he was. A lifeguard saw me dive in. I yelled as I dove in," Peterson said.

Peterson and others pulled Murry out of the water. Lifeguards administered CPR, but he couldn't be saved.

Murry had recently lost more than 100 pounds and had been training for the triathlon since January, family members told us.

MTA: I meant most deaths are swimming.  and by 1st timer I meant inexperienced/not that fit.  the guy should have done some 5k races and some duathlons and done more open water swimming before he tried out a tri.  a tri race is crowded and crazy and people drown sometimes.  very sad. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

most.

distances = from the Kona story, I believe

Sure, I agree, the cycling portion rules overall for time.

But if you're not gonna place anyway, like me, at least it's good to be a runner and to be strong on the final leg -- cause it's more fun to pass others than to get passed, at the end Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Slo

by your numbers 13 of 14 were swimming.  This fits under "most". 

But MOST deaths were not due to 1st Timers like you said. MOST are veterans.

Given the papers report, I'd say anyone who has recently lost more than 100lbs fits in the underlying heart problem.

I'm not argueing that swimming is where the deaths occur.......that is clearly evident. The only other Triathlon death from that study was due to a bike accident. Which by the way is the most likely cause for a trip to the ER.

As for the firefighters account.......I think that his remark is slightly exaggerated......thats my personal opinion. I've had 2200 people swim by me at Ironman Wisconsin and it looks like more than 1/3rd are struggling.  Anyone who stops to catch a breath, regain thier composure or to redirect looks like they're struggling.

There can be a ton of stress due to anxiety standing on the beach waiting to start......in some races you may wait for 1 hour before your wave goes off......your already at an accelerated herat rate.....then you sprint to the water, dive in and the tendancy is swim much harder than your cabable of......add cold water on top of that and if you have an un-diagnosed heart condition I can see where it just may show up here.

It's tragic and like any accidental death 100% preventable. But to say it was because it was his first one is simply hogwash and nothing but pure speculation.

MTA.....Ok doug...LOL  I had to step away in the middle of my response and you snuck back in to yours...I agree with your modified statement.

No Triathlon distance should be taken lightly.......proper training and full understanding of what you are undertaking is necessary.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/50617442.html

follow-up. 

the guy was 300 pounds and had a heart attack in the swim.  this was the 3rd death in 1 year in our state during the swim. 

Slo

Thanks for the link Doug......Again, very tragic, very sad.

Your State has the highest number of Triathlon deaths.....2nd to Minnesota but I can not find the stats to back that up so take it FWIW......(from an article I read from USAT I believe) This kinda backs up the cold water theory.

I know it's July.....I'm not that much farther South of you but our Water temps in the deeper lakes is still 70 deg....while I wouldn't say that's cold.....it's still a shocker when you throw your whole body in.

The beautiful state of Wisconsin also host more Triathlons than other states.....Go to Tri Find and compare the calendars. So statistically your numbers will be higher too.

3 deaths in one year though is alot.......and I wouldn't be suprised if someone comes forward with proposed legislation. I'll look later but it would'nt suprise me that per capita.....there are many more people killed on ATV's in Wisconsin than there are in Triathlons.

My heart goes out to the family, the town, the athletes and volunteers.......each of these people have been impacted.

we have more lakes than just about any other state.  so it figures we have more triathlons.  we also have a lot of overweight people.

dermoisnow

Bit like me

Well done on your first Tr!!

I'm currently training for my first Sprint Triathlon in September.

I'm mainly training to loose weight but have set the triathlon as my second target (the first being a 100K cycle next Saturday). So far I've lost 25pounds this year but want to loose another 42, most importantly I'd like to get another 18pounds  of in the next 8weeks to fit my wetsuit. Since I started training proper I've been dropping about 3pounds/week simply by cutting out junk and eat more wholemeal type foods.

Oddly reading above I'm least worried about the swim as this is my strongest event, the cycle will be fine but I really struggle with the running.

A new pair of trainers (which I was gait tested for) have stopped the calf problem that had plagued me any time I've tried running in recent years. Now I just have a dodgy knee to worry about.

Any advice for building the running/strengthing the knee. I'm currently adding a couple of minutes each week starting at 10mins - 12 - I'm just about to move from 1.7mi in 15mins to 18mins. I only need to be able to do 3.1mi but would like to finish as strong as I can.

Run Fat Boy Run (and swim and cycle)
                              My personal site

Any advice for building the running/strengthing the knee. I'm currently adding a couple of minutes each week starting at 10mins - 12 - I'm just about to move from 1.7mi in 15mins to 18mins. I only need to be able to do 3.1mi but would like to finish as strong as I can.

I run 30-45 miles a week with a long run of 10-13 miles each week and I have never run a race over 3.1 miles.  the best 3.1 mile runners probably run 75+ miles a week. 

So it really is just a matter of how well you want to run.  more running is better.  run slower to run more. 

try to run that 1.7 miles in 20 minutes.  that should be easy.  but run that every other day.  then slowly add more distance and more running days per week. 

I can't help on the knee.  if it is injured then you'd have to adress that differently.