Need a GPS Watch but clueless (Read 224 times)

omdno1

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to smart technology and have recently noticed GPS watches.

Like many, I'm in desperate need of trying to find new, fresh routes for my half marathon training. Getting pretty bored with the same 3 mile courses I run and need some variety. Maybe I'm a bit behind the times driving around, wasting gas, trying to create custom routes. And I usually just settle with the standard "down and back" mindless course. I was playing with mapmyrun.com the other day and they will create routes for you, a little buggy but, nonetheless, pretty cool.

So, a little light went off in my head.

My question here is, do any of you know if we are so far ahead these days to have the ability to upload these maps to a GPS watch and have the watch direct you via Bluetooth headset, turn by turn directions so you don't get lost. That would be really cool and soooo useful for me.

Also, I have no interest in carrying a clunky phone with me so, I'm looking for a watch that works independently if possible. Any suggestions of anything else similar to this technology, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jeff

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I have a Polar M400, and I can't find anywhere on their site that allows you to upload a map. They do have the "Return to Home" feature, which means you basically can go wherever you want and then use that screen like a compass to get back to your start location.

- Andrew

I just go run, and use my GPS watch (Garmin Forerunner 310xt) to measure how far and how fast.  I generally go out the door with an idea of how far and what direction.  Today, for example, I wanted to run 6 or 7 miles or maybe a little farther "thataway".  I started out, stopped to eat some fresh wild raspberries, continued, swatted many deer flies, turned around when I decided I did not feel like running through mud, and finished with 6.7 miles.

My watch can also record a waypoint, then give me distance and direction back to that point.  I have a waypoint at my front door, so always know what direction to get back.  That function is also useful when out on the lake on a dark night.

As far as designing a route ahead of time, then step by step directions for that route, I can't help.  That's way too structured for me.

omdno1

hmm..sounds like I can achieve the same with a cheap pedometer.

On the subject of that, I have had to return 2 pedometers so far due to the difficulty and confusing directions on calculating

stride. Never had this issue 15 years ago, they were much simpler back in the day. If you have any suggestions for that, that would be cool too.

TJoseph

Garmin makes a watch called the Epix that supports turn by turn navigation. JRMichler has it right though. Just get an inexpensive GPS watch and head out your front door. It will record your run and you can upload it to this site to automatically log your runs with a map showing where you ran. If you are not feeling adventurous and want to map a run in advance, RunningAhead has a tool under Resources for measuring a route that I use.

omdno1

Yea, ideally I would like to NOT have to turnaround and come back on routes if I can get away with it. I really liked the mapmyrun route generators but, like I said, it was buggy. It would create routes for me in high trafficked areas with no sidewalks and most of the random routes created were from the same access point. But I did figure out workarounds by inputing specific zip codes to trick it. Would be nice if I could upload these maps on a watch ap and have it direct me as I run.

an amazing likeness

It's an interesting request, but if you're locked into have route guidance from a watch, then your choices are going to be very, very limited as noted. That sort of feature requires a higher level of processing power and communication than is typical in the Forerunner-type wrist-sized GPS trackers, and really means you'll need to use a smartphone.

Or...hire a kid with a smartphone and a bullhorn to follow you on a bicycle..."Turn left!" "Next intersection, take a right!".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

omdno1

Lol..yes.

It figures, anytime I think of something it's either a highly expensive option or it doesn't exist.

I guess i'll just do it the old fashioned way and drive it out.

May look into a cheap Garmin watch with no bells and whistles.

Don't care much for running with a watch on but if I do, I would like to get one with a pedometer.

How hard is it to program stride on them and how does it work?

TJoseph

The Garmin watches do not use stride length (unless you are running indoors and have their footpod accessory), they use satellites to determine your position and distance run (GPS).

Linda

Every route that I have has come from just getting lost.   I run a route that I know with a Garmin, and when I get home, I look at the map of where I ran.  Looking at the map, I make some mental notes of what I could do to lengthen it or change it.  (I've been known to write the directions on my hand.)  The next time, I try to repeat it, but adding in the change.  I usually get lost, but after a few tries, I have a new route.

Unless you have concerns about the safety of where you are running, try some trial and error.  You'll gain confidence, and it will probably be fun.

My Garmin does have the ability to guide me home.  There is a bread crumb function with a map, but it seems like too much work for me to figure out.  I have no idea how to use it.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

running metalhead

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to smart technology and have recently noticed GPS watches.

Like many, I'm in desperate need of trying to find new, fresh routes for my half marathon training. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/outdoor/wrist-worn/epix-/prod146065.html

This is maybe what you want. It costs a fortune tough ! 

There are also some more simple gadgets from Garmin like the Foretrex that also accept loading a map while the display is way more primitive and they are bulky as hell as they are targeted at bikers or hikers.

As for the routes: If you are going to run a half marathon on the road you should be focusing on any road as long as it has the correct distance for a long run and for your interval training. Unless, of course, you are talking about a very specific trail or a fel run outside of the marked trails and roads.

Good luck in any case Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

omdno1

Thanks Enric, yea, like I said, expensive.

I just wish they could make a somewhat simple watch, with no hard-to-read map, just voice navigation in your headset with GPS technology.

Oh well, I think we will see that in the future, we're close.

Tjoseph, thanks for the GPS watch education, that makes sense. Kinda nice. Looks like Garmin is the way to go. Think I may get me a cheap GPS watch. Any recommendation? I would be happy with a bare bones old model, for around 50 bucks.

And Linda, thanks for giving your method, basically get lost..haha. Well, I did that once and ended up running more than I was supposed to. One thing I can't stand is 1. Running longer than my scheduled distance or 2. Running shorter.

I'm trying to play with the Strava site, trying to get it to generate a route for me, with no luck. Hopefully I can find a good route generating site out there and pass it along to you all.

So, in conclusion, maybe a GPS watch, run aimlessly around to a halfway point and turn around and go back, to achieve an accurate distance. hmm

Well, meanwhile im also looking online for local 5k and 10k race maps in the area online. and of course, asking good people in forums like yourself.

thanks Smile

From the Resources tab on this site you can

1. mess around with the measure route tool - trial and error your way with it around your preferred neighborhood until you get a good distance.

2. Run Spots - see where other people in your area most often run

3. Find Routes - see other saved routes from people in your area

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            omdno1

Well, after playing with the site, not crazy over it. Would be nice if more people used it so I could see more than 3 routes in my town. Doesn't seem to be too popular here.

I guess I'm not understanding your problem. Just use the measure route tool to see what would happen if you took a left on Obtuse Road, or a right on Ham Cube Lane. You don't need to drive around.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes