Vomit virus...run anyway? (Read 556 times)

Burninated Peasant

Ok, I'm not sick yet, but my son is (along with his cousins, and probably his sister), so I'm asking this one in preparation for the inevitable. If you've got a vomit/diarrhea thing going, but otherwise feel mostly ok, would you run anyway?
    JakeKnight

I run (or exercise) through almost every illness. I may not run hard, but I run - mostly because its a guaranteed way to feel better, at least for a little while. I've read that hard runs may temporarily weaken your immune system and decrease your body's ability to battle infection - but 1) I may have read it on a cereal box, and 2) even if its true, I don't much care. An easy run feels good. What do them fancy-pants doctors know, anyway? I know one doctor who can't even figure out how babies are made, apparently. But there's one exception to my personal rule: uh, diarrhea. No running through that one. For two reasons. The medical one: if its bad, you may be pretty dehydrated whether you think so or not. The real one: getting stuck 4 miles from home when you really, really gotta go sounds like a nightmare. And everybody carries cameras these days. The thought of what might happen is scary. Although it would make a great running story ... Unless you really want to end up as a hilarious YouTube video, I'd skip the run. Or do it at home on a treadmill, so you can hop off and run to the john if necessary.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But there's one exception to my personal rule: uh, diarrhea. No running through that one. For two reasons. The medical one: if its bad, you may be pretty dehydrated whether you think so or not. The real one: getting stuck 4 miles from home when you really, really gotta go sounds like a nightmare. And everybody carries cameras these days. The thought of what might happen is scary. Although it would make a great running story
        Yeah, the dehydration thing, alone...that would keep me home. But the added risk of sharting one's shorts--no way.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lia's Daddy

Yeah, running shorts are way to expensive to risk becoming Forest DUMP Big grin
          "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Diarrhea. Runs. Heh.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When you're goin' on a run, and it's comin' out yer bum...diarrhea...diarrhea!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Tight lipped

Burninated Peasant

Or do it at home on a treadmill, so you can hop off and run to the john if necessary.
                  Sounds like a winner to me, if I end up with the same problems my son has.
                    I have not refilled your water bottle. Therefore, vomiting is dispossible. Wink

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Burninated Peasant

I have not refilled your water bottle. Therefore, vomiting is dispossible. Wink
                      Hmmm. Maybe that means I'll be stuck with CB. I think I'd rather have you refill my water bottle. Tight lipped