Unable to post or reply to post (Read 570 times)

325th place or bust!

So here's a good one for you, Eric.  Since the change to the site (a few days ago? last week?) I just noticed that I can't post when using my usual system (from work).  The details:

Details:

Firefox 3.5.7  (also use "noscript" add-on but have all scripts enabled for RA)

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 (x64 edition) Service Pack 2

(the OS is running as a virtual machine on some other physical hardware)

Description:

1. navigate to any existing thread

2. click "Reply" button

3. the "Reply to post" form comes up

at this point I am unable to click in the text box to enter a message.  The text cursor never appears when I click in the text box and it does not accept any text.  The "Design", "HTML", and "Preview" buttons do not do anything either.  When I move the mouse over the HTML and Preview buttons I see "Javascript:void(0)" in the Firefox status bar.

The buttons in the message box appear to be active, meaning they show the little highlight box upon mouseover.  But none of them do anything apparent when I click on them, even the hyperlink manager button.  Tooltips are active though.  When I click on the smiley dropdown arrow the dropdown box with more smileys does not appear.

The text box also appears to be the same color as the box containing the menu icons.  For instance, in this machine, which is working, the text box has a white background but the box surrounding the menu bars appears to have a slight green tint.  In the non-working browser both text box and menu bar box have that same tint.

Thanks,

Brian

p.s. this message posted from XP machine where everything works great.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

gregw

+1

Firefox 3.5.7 on Vista.  Real machine.  Not virtual.

wildchild

Carolyn

Me too. Using Firefox on my work computer, I can't post replies either, but I can using Internet Explorer. On my home computer, Firefox works fine. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Just got the newest Firefox update.  And I am posting just fine.  Using XP Pro 2002.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

eric :)

OCBian,

Wow!  This is by far the most comprehensive bug report.  Thanks!

I think the issue is your browser didn't load the latest scripts.  I bet pressing Ctrl-F5 will fix it.

eric :-)

Hi Eric,

I've been having this problem at my work with IE7, the error message I keep getting is 'sys' is undefined.  CTL-F5 doesn't resolve it.

Thanks,

Robin

Yea!!!!  Ctrl F5 worked!  Whew - glad to see I wasn't the only one not able to post.  I was having withdrawals and trying to NOT constantly check the clock to see when it was time to go home and I could post.  (Can you say "addicted to RA?" )

Thanks, Eric.  You're the best.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

325th place or bust!

Eric, you were probably right.  I didn't get a chance to test it as it is working now that I tried again.  I've had trouble with the system here at work caching web pages oddly.

Thanks again,

Brian

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

evanflein

I was going to try the ctrl F5, but ended up not needing to as it's now working! Whatever happened, I'm glad I can post from Firefox again! I had to use Safari on my PC, which I don't like to do. (btw, never had any problems with the Mac, just the stoopid PC)

Hi Eric,

I've been having this problem at my work with IE7, the error message I keep getting is 'sys' is undefined.  CTL-F5 doesn't resolve it.

Thanks,

Robin

Robin,

The error indicates that it's missing a file.  I'm pretty sure that Ctrl-F5 should fix it.  I'll try to come up with another way of fix it.

Robin,

I added a bit of code that should hint to your browser that it needs to download new copies of the files.  Hopefully this would fix your problem.

eric :-)