Too heavy for XC team? (Read 206 times)

natexc

I am 15 year old male runner and our training is going to start this summer. I have been running about ~56 mpw for the past few months and am going to hold that steady until spring, then taper off for a few months before practice starts. However I am worried that I am too heavy. I am 5'6" and 140 lbs on a good day. I have a decent amount of muscle however due to weight training (visible abs and toned muscle). Should I try to drop weight before practice starts or just hold steady?

mikeymike

There's no weigh in for cross country--you are fine.

And I wouldn't drop mileage for a few months before cross country starts. If anything you want to be running your highest mileage in the 2 months leading in to the season.

Runners run

natexc

And I wouldn't drop mileage for a few months before cross country starts. If anything you want to be running your highest mileage in the 2 months leading in to the season.

Thanks, just figured i'd check. And thanks for the tip, I was starting to second guess that decision myself.

fwiw, posted the same question on Letsrun and got trolled like there was no tomorrow... lol

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

My son ran cc at 5 7 and around 150. He had more muscle than most runners but still liked doing it

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

My sophomore daughter runs at about 130-135 lbs. she's about 5'3 5'4"" and has been all state in xc twice and once in the 3200. She's easily the largest girl in all her meets other than some back markers. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Her best male teammate is a little bigger than you and last seasons xc conference champ (male) was about 5'9" 175.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks, just figured i'd check. And thanks for the tip, I was starting to second guess that decision myself.

fwiw, posted the same question on Letsrun and got trolled like there was no tomorrow... lol

I started XC in 7th grade at probably 5"6' and 150-odd lbs.  Freshman year I was 5'8" and 179 lbs.  Yeah, I was slow.  Still had run.  Junior and senior year down to 155 at 5'10", went to state both years.  Last year of college and post-college down to 145-147, ended up realistically pursuing the Olympic Trials.

If you love doing it, forget about weight and just work hard.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Member Since 2008

I totally agree with Mikey.  Your weight is fine and you will get no benefit if you taper two months away from the season.