Shin Splints after running a couple minutes (Read 49 times)

stevenriz

Hello. 53 yrs old. Slightly over weight I think. I've been hiking on iFit for about a year. Now I am starting to jog at 4.5 or 5 at 0 incline for a couple minutes at a time over riding the hike.... After 90 seconds to 2 minutes, I need to slow to a walk because my ankles start hurting so much and I walk it off for a couple minutes. Then I jog again. Can I do something different for them to go away? They just don't seem to go away. What can I do?thanks!

an amazing likeness

Hmmm...not clear from your post if you're dealing with shin splints or ankle pain. I'll share a few thoughts, but I'm likely not understanding your post...

Shin splints are most often an overuse issue -- too much, too soon. The most likely path to healing is from RICE:  Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, combined with easing the workload on your lower leg, and focusing on building endurance while working out at a lower level of stress on the lower leg. Activities which use a lot of toe-off -- like hills, and activities which promote forefoot 'slap' -- like running downhill are big contributors to shin splints.

Here are some topic discussions here on RunningAHEAD about healing shin splints as reference, there may be some information in these which give you ideas to help your situation:

Here

Here

Here

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stevenriz

Hi there thanks for the reply!

I guess it isn't my shins, it is more the arch of my feet, I paid more attention today. But as I continue to jog, it spreads into my feet and ankles until I slow to a walk. I will look around for how to solve, maybe massage, ice or heat? Better shoes??

SMART Approach

You don't really have an injury so no need to treat and certainly never ice.  You are not ready to run continuously for a lengthy time and body is telling you this. Warm up and heat area before your run. Try this for a mile or so next time you run. Jog a minute and walk 2 minutes. Repeat. Do this 15-20 minutes and report back. Don't push further until this is a success.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

stevenriz

ok thanks for the help! That is what I have been doing and will keep doing so but am way under a mile. I can do up to 2 minutes jogging and I have to walk it starts hurting so bad. Once I lose a few lbs, it hope it will get better!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

You mentioned shoes and no one else commented on it. You don't need expensive shoes, but if you are wearing worn out old shoes you've had for years, you might not be doing yourself any favours. Cushion does break down.

Also don't worry about your pace to start. Smile

Good luck!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I have high arches and was getting sharp pain in my arch when I first started. The trick for me has been to use a foot roller (lightly) for 1-2 minutes per foot before my runs. This stretches out my plantar and relieves/prevents the pain. Worth a try.

I guess it isn't my shins, it is more the arch of my feet 

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

SMART Approach

ok thanks for the help! That is what I have been doing and will keep doing so but am way under a mile. I can do up to 2 minutes jogging and I have to walk it starts hurting so bad. Once I lose a few lbs, it hope it will get better!

If you jog 30 sec followed by 1 min walk, can you get through a mile without it hurting? Try this after a warm up.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

stevenriz

great replies, thanks everyone. I will give a roller a try and see how things go... I can do a full minute without much pain, I push for 2 minutes but sometimes I need to walk at 1min 45sec. Depends. I try to do this for 30-40 minutes, depending on what I pick to do on the treadmill which can be 1.25mi to 1.75mi. If I actually do 30 sec then 1 min walk, I can get through a mile without pain.

SMART Approach

great replies, thanks everyone. I will give a roller a try and see how things go... I can do a full minute without much pain, I push for 2 minutes but sometimes I need to walk at 1min 45sec. Depends. I try to do this for 30-40 minutes, depending on what I pick to do on the treadmill which can be 1.25mi to 1.75mi. If I actually do 30 sec then 1 min walk, I can get through a mile without pain.

Well, then that needs to be your strategy going forward. You are just ramping up too quick.

BoutWorkout

I agree, a warm up and intervals between running and walking.