2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah especially these days, I prefer to err on the side of not being That Guy. And the more that larger gatherings develop due to people trying to skirt the rules, the more heavy-handed the restrictions will come down.

I feel like there needs to be a meme about new runners, large gatherings, social distancing and shared online. People like JMac are noticing these new runners don't even go outside when it rains. Just wait until it gets....hot...in...the City.

If you know someone in Paris you better get them a headlamp to run. No outside running between 10am and 7pm means they're going to be running in bigger crowds before 10am.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Paris+bans+outdoor+exercise&filters=tnTID%3a%22A31922D5-2EB9-4c9d-8544-F60C51792FBA%22+tnVersion%3a%223470790%22+segment%3a%22popularnow.carousel%22+tnCol%3a%220%22+tnOrder%3a%22ace4e907-efbc-42fc-b83a-974d175fc365%22&FORM=BSPN01&crslsl=0

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

rovatti:  I’m across the river from Fargo (Moorhead).  So, any time you’re in town (because people just flock to Moorhead for all of the...uh...yeah), let me know!

mikkey:  Theoretically, yes, it drops as you get older, so you must have been closer to your true potential in 2019 than you were in 2010.  ;-) I don’t know how quickly that drop happens, and/or if it is linear or exponential.

cal:  Well regardless, your HRmax must be pretty high.  For marathons, my HR target was always starting in the high 140s and working my way up into the low to mid 150s for the bulk of it.

In light of new information....yeah don't continue being an asshole outside of dreaming of overuse injuries for assholes. There are buildings dedicated to people who challenged the law enforcement authorities to a race. Not too many people can outrun a Motorola.

Brew, I try to understand your posts but this one really makes no sense to me.

Cal: I finally read the Hadd PDF you (or someone else? can't remember) linked a while back. Think I will give this a try as it lines up with my natural preference towards not doing workouts and just running easy (kind of the anti-JMac preferences ). At least I'll give this a try until summer, then maybe add some faster workouts periodically. I saw you did the test on roads (or at least not on a track); is this because you can't access a track due to the virus or you just prefer to do it on the road? It seems like it would be tricky to maintain evenly a set HR for 1.5 miles, but I'm thinking on a track it would help since terrain is constant and one less thing to think about.

Weather: 10k time trial will be interesting; will you do that on the track?

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew, I try to understand your posts but this one really makes no sense to me.

Cal: I finally read the Hadd PDF you (or someone else? can't remember) linked a while back. Think I will give this a try as it lines up with my natural preference towards not doing workouts and just running easy (kind of the anti-JMac preferences ). At least I'll give this a try until summer, then maybe add some faster workouts periodically. I saw you did the test on roads (or at least not on a track); is this because you can't access a track due to the virus or you just prefer to do it on the road? It seems like it would be tricky to maintain evenly a set HR for 1.5 miles, but I'm thinking on a track it would help since terrain is constant and one less thing to think about.

Weather: 10k time trial will be interesting; will you do that on the track?

I'm saying not to go running. Also referencing a billy idol song about New York City. I'm also kinda trying to sound like a lawyer with the whole "in light of new information" thing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

weatherboy80

JT: all my local tracks have been closed and locked from what I can tell so I’ll just likely go back to the same loop I just ran my 5K TT as it is 2 laps per 5K.  It’s a gated community with little in the way of traffic especially in the AM and perfectly flat.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

CalBears

Mikkey linked that article trying to argue with some people who called my training idiotic Smile. Hadd is close to my style of running too - I do not really like workouts much and I found out that I could do pretty well on just mileage. As for a test - I would probably prefer do the MAF and Hadd tests on the track, but as weatherboy also mentioned - all the tracks closed in our area, I would be surprised if your track is opened. But the loop I used is not bad - it's 0.67 miles loop in the local park with minimum elevation change, not bad at all and I definitely prefer longer, 0.67, loop comparing to 0.25 - I would love to find something like 1 mile or 2 mile thingies where I should not worry about cars crossing but not sure such loops exist.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ask and you shall receive.

I keep thinking that it would be fascinating to get everyone tested for antibodies, and to see how many are already immune.  If we find that 50, 60, 70% of the country has already been exposed, doesn't that change the calculus about stay-at-home?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-weighs-loosening-guidelines-some-exposed-virus-n1179051

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is considering changing its guidelines for self-isolation to make it easier for those who have been exposed to someone with the coronavirus to return to work if they are asymptomatic.

Under the proposed guidance, people who are exposed to someone infected would be allowed back on the job if they are asymptomatic, test their temperature twice a day and wear a face mask, said a person familiar with the proposal under consideration.

So we can go back to treating this just like the flu where you can be a carrier, and if you don't show signs of being infected you continue to show up infected. If I refuse to wear a face mask, or don't check my temperature twice a day, does it mean I don't have to show up to work?

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

I'm saying not to go running. Also referencing a billy idol song about New York City. I'm also kinda trying to sound like a lawyer with the whole "in light of new information" thing.

Brew that really makes no sense.

Here in NZ we had a relatively tight lockdown quite early on (though not as tight as China, or Italy, or Spain).  The government is actually trying to eliminate the disease locally and then just manage the borders very tightly (since the only way in is by air or sea) - but going outside for exercise is clearly permitted.  They had to ban surfing, ocean swimming, and a few other things because a few people were pushing the limits and no-one should be wasting emergency services' time right now.

This aside from the fact that spreading or catching it while out running or walking is actually very unlikely, if you maintain adequate physical distance from others (this is easier in NZ than it might be in somewhere like Central Park, admittedly).  Droplets containing the virus are very quickly dispersed in the fresh air so unless you are grabbing surfaces or running very close to people the risk is extremely low.

Many public health experts are still going out running or walking for this reason (can't remember where I read that or I would post the link).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Nick Willis was asking on twitter policy for coming into US and noted in NZ is taking people right off planes and into mandatory segregation in hotels. Wow.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Nick Willis was asking on twitter policy for coming into US and noted in NZ is taking people right off planes and into mandatory segregation in hotels. Wow.

To be honest, if we'd been doing that back in February, we would've come through this totally fine (well apart from the tourism sector and anything adjacent to it).  It's like spending a very, very long time in Customs, except actually you're in a decent hotel and get pretty good meals (and presumably free wifi too).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

except actually you're in a decent hotel and get pretty good meals (and presumably free wifi too).

Still sounds like a very good 5 stars jail...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well I got the Billy Idol reference....he was literally my Idol back in the 80s.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I'd  worry about Brew, but I knew him long before COVID.  

It doesn't matter if you're in Reno or near Fargo (OMR) ... it's spreads like crazy for a couple of weeks before anyone gets sick.

My meniscus is bad (so I can't run).... so I go up to the rooftop and do pushups and planks.... I'd do on-line ZUMBA up there, but there's a security camera, and NOBODY NEEDS TO SEE THAT.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah, and it's causing a problem with farmers trying to hire international workers. Food is literally going bad due to a 14 day mandatory quarantine AND farmers still have to pay their workers for no work.

Marky Mark honestly....I had a response typed up and deleted it. COVID 19 isn't worth discussing at this point. It does nothing for marathon training.

EDIT: DAMN. Maybe the the United States should do it like other countries too.

Oh wait...he did.

National Interest is funny. Trump does it and he's blasted by the Media. Australia does it and it's "National Security" and "protecting the country from international vultures."

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'd  worry about Brew, but I knew him long before COVID.  

it's spreads like crazy for a couple of weeks before anyone gets sick.

I'm done. Doesn't matter because everyone is doing everything the best way. It's like talking with my supervisors at work. I'm the minority who is doing it wrong. LITERALLY every single person other than me is doing it better and more correctly. Have some Johnny Walker Blue Label. You've probably worked more this week than I've this entire year.

VDOT 53.37