I ran 18 Miles this past weekend for June 3rd Marathon! (Read 941 times)

Thanks for all the advise. I am trying to run more than 2 or 3 times lately but my shin hurts pretty good when Im done, so I feel like I have to give it a day off. Im not doing my long runs too hard. All you have to do is look at my pace to see that. We dont run for time ever. We just run to finish.

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

Good work. Is it possible to increase your running to 4 times per week, week in and week out, with a long run every other weekend and a medium run on the alternating weekends? That may make your long runs and your goal race easier.
      That's the way it should be done.
      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
        Im not doing my long runs too hard. All you have to do is look at my pace to see that. We dont run for time ever. We just run to finish.
        TW, Great Job on completing 18 miles. 4 1/2 weeks to go! I too just ran my 18 miler last Sat. I posted about it on another thread. If you look at my log you'll see that pretty much all my runs are at about the same pace, almost to a fault. This 18 miler let me know that it was time to slow down on the long run. I have a 20 miler coming up in 2 weeks and I definitely plan on taking it easy on that one. I have been using Hal Higdon's novice training schedule, but April was tough to stick to every planned run. Due to sick kids, a 15 miler was only 10, due to a reserve weekend a 16 miler was only 1.5 (but at a 7 min/mle pace), and a couple mid week 4 miles didn't happen for various reasons. But in that time I did complete my first Half Marathon Race which was a huge confidence builder. Heck, it was even supposed to be a 12 mile run that day. The way I look at my schedule, the next 2 weeks will be rough (33 miles this week, 40 next) then its taper city!!! Keep up with your training, so you'll be able to look back on it at mile 20 on June 3rd and say, "ONLY 8.2 miles to go. Must be an Easy Day!!".
          Good luck, I'll be there june 3rd too...as will SpinDr! Cool
          Yep, looking forward to it. Still thinking about AFC. Want to get through RnR first.
            SpinDr....Today while dusting the curio cabinet, I thought of you! I picked up my grandfather's service hat, which looks just about exactly like yours. That's all.

Michelle

I know what ya mean SpinDr. Good luck with your training. What is your longest run before the marathon?

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

I know what ya mean SpinDr. Good luck with your training. What is your longest run before the marathon?
                20 miles will be my max on May 12th or 13th.. The schedule i'm following (Hal Higdon - novice) follows what Trent mentioned before where you increase for 2 weeks then step back for one.
                  I picked up my grandfather's service hat, which looks just about exactly like yours.
                  Very cool. Thanks for the mention and thanks to your Grandfather for his service.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey, how did you feel after your 8 miler?
                      Very cool. Thanks for the mention and thanks to your Grandfather for his service.

Michelle

Cool, yep same cover as mine.