When runners Cheat.... (Read 398 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On the other hand, it is realistically acknowledging that most of us do not care, just as we don't care about people who break traffic laws.

Unless they're on a bike.  Because we all know that all cyclists break all traffic laws all of the time.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

This is not what happens in urban areas.  Instead, GPS signal wildly swings from one side of the street to the other, placing waypoints all over buildings, and sometimes looping backwards..  I have maps to prove it.

..also, I do not understand how the discussion on cheating degenerated into an argument over GPS accuracy and course measurement.

The certification process actually gives the precise addition of 0.1% to the race distance.  And while I would agree that GPS USUALLY measures long, this is not always the case.  If you turn a corner while the signal is weak, for example, the GPS will use the last point before the turn and the first new point once signal is regained after the turn and think you cut the tangent across the corner.  Depending how long signal was lost, the difference can be significant.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Here's my Garmin GPS map coming off the Queensboro Bridge.  Note the total course was measured as 25.51 miles.

No, I haven't jumped off the bridge to 59th St...  and the exit ramp is about 40-50 m off, according to the GPS.

This goes to show that any discussion about course measurement as it relates to GPS accuracy is meaningless.

aponi

never runs the tangents

That Kip story is crazy. Is he still out there? You'd think that when the story hit the new yorker he would fade away. I still don't get his motivation. How much money has he spent over the years on his little hobby you figure.

I have a buddy who is one of those elite runner types. He once saw a guy hop on a bike for part of a race. He said that he was new to running races then and didn't quite process what was happening until later.

I did a tri that had two loops on the running part. A lot of people got the ole DQ for not running both loops. I don't know how they could mess that up. There were all kinds of signs and arrows and a guy standing there waving flags, literally waving flags who was yelling "if you have never seen me turn left, if you have seen me before turn right." I wondered later if people ahead of me got off track and they figured it out and sent that guy. Sad thing is someone in my swim group told me later that she was the swim part of a relay. The runner in her group missed that second loop but she was so slow that her time didn't stick out so they got away with it.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

aponi

never runs the tangents

you have SUPER POWERS - awesome

Here's my Garmin GPS map coming off the Queensboro Bridge.  Note the total course was measured as 25.51 miles.

No, I haven't jumped off the bridge to 59th St...  and the exit ramp is about 40-50 m off, according to the GPS.

This goes to show that any discussion about course measurement as it relates to GPS accuracy is meaningless.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

spinach

Here is more evidence of the inaccuracy of GPS.  This was a race that I ran in Spain, and no, I did not climb on top of the buildings, I did not jump off the roofs of the buildings, nor did I jump from roof to roof over the streets.

race in Spain

..also, I do not understand how the discussion on cheating degenerated into an argument

You must be new around here the internet...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I wish we had gps tracks of Kip's "winning" races.

Feeling the growl again

This is not what happens in urban areas.  Instead, GPS signal wildly swings from one side of the street to the other, placing waypoints all over buildings, and sometimes looping backwards..  I have maps to prove it.

Actually, both can happen.  You also indicate that your GPS recorded a total distance of 25.51 miles for a marathon, which is short, not long, of the full distance, which is what you said always happens.

Quote from Toronto on 11/13/2014 at 12:36 PM:

..also, I do not understand how the discussion on cheating degenerated into an argument over GPS accuracy and course measurement.

I'd say right about here:

Quote from Toronto on 11/13/2014 at 12:36 PM:

Yes, but only by 5 m in a 5K.  That's only up to 40-50 meters in a marathon.  I am talking 160 - 320 m error in GPS measurements.  Don't be so condescending.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

NHLA

On the local news today a man ran off the road and into the river.

When they ask why he said he was following his GPS.  You can't make that up.

Mmmmm...beer

Dave, seems like a long time ago when you were running "mid-21's!"  Crazy fast running you are doing these days.  Not to mention the miles, 100+ in 1 week?!  Good stuff.  PS.  See you at the Seashore 50K, even though I am not well prepared.  You should be shooting for a fast PR?  (No cutting the second loop!) :-)

Hey Kris!  It does seem like a long time ago, goes by quick. lol  Can't wait for Seashore, should be in a good position to knock a big chunk off of my time from last year. Smile

As far as GPS goes, if the course is certified, then I don't care what my GPS says, I just count the certified distance.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dream Maker

Sooo, what you're saying is you don't fully commit Wink

I did not climb on top of the buildings, I did not jump off the roofs of the buildings, nor did I jump from roof to roof over the streets.

C-R

i would request a refund from the RD for the distance adjusted amount. Problem solved.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Who let all these parkour runners in here!?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At least the woman squawking in indignation at Chicago didn't drop her headphones and try to go back for them.

Don't go back for gu packs if you drop them. I fell off my (informal) pace group doing that and took maybe 8mi to catch them again.

And Mary Keitany lost the lead group going back for a missed water bottle.

Well, if they're handing out real drinks, then, that's a different story, but for just water....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.