Annual physica examl (Read 723 times)

Next week, I am going for my first annual physical exam in many years. Bad, I know. In any case, wondering what specific tests I should request. Some things I've heard suggested: fasting glucose, HDL/LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, complete blood count (CBC), and, possibly, an EKG. I generally consider myself to be in good health. My resting HR and blood pressure are decent. I've been running off and on for several years, seriously for one year. I've lost 35-40 lbs in the last year due to exercise and diet. Is it too early for a <gulp!> prostate exam? Comments? Suggestions?</gulp!>
      Sorry - subject should be: Annual physical exam... Confused
        I just had a physical in January (my first since high school Shocked) and I had all those same tests run. Well, except the prostate hehe. Big grin I would imagine your doctor can advise on whether that's something you need checked at your age. Good luck! My doctor also took an x-ray of the chest and that was interesting to see. Basically they just look for abnormalities (something to signify pneumonia for one) but it was neat to see a picture of my own organs. Smile
        ---- Cynthia
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The critical things in an annual men's physical include - - assessment for hypertension = check blood pressure - assessment for hyperlipidemia = check LDL/HDL/Triglycerides - assessment for diabetes = specific questions asked about symptoms and family history, possibly a fasting glucose Routine checks of blood counts, thyroid, prostate in absence of symptoms or family history are not usually helpful. Ditto EKG. If you have specific concerns about your heart, a stress test is a better way to go. With age, certain tests are added - - colonoscopy around age 50, younger if there is a family history, then repeated on a varying schedule - prostate exams around age 40-50, younger if there is a family history, then repeated on a varying schedule - annual chest xrays if you smoke and are older than 40-50 Checking an EKG or Chest Xray without reason is wasteful and can lead to unnecessary procedures (they may see a shadow, not know what it is, then you get a needless lung biopsy you would not have gotten otherwise, then your lung collapses and you spend a week in the ICU on a respirator...happens) There are many many other things that need to be checked in given situations. Make sure to discuss this with your doc. Also, consider getting your tetanus and pertussus shot updated. In the Winter, get your flu shot.
            Thanks for the comments, Cynthia. Trent, I knew I could count on you...
              Thanks for bringing this up. I wasn't actually wondering any of those questions specifically, but it's been a long time since my last physical - so this was a good reminder to get one done.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And of course, women need annual gyn exams in addition to all this. And after a certain age (ask your gyn or internist since views vary), women also need annual breast cancer screening, which is typically a mammogram.
                  Checking an EKG or Chest Xray without reason is wasteful and can lead to unnecessary procedures (they may see a shadow, not know what it is, then you get a needless lung biopsy you would not have gotten otherwise, then your lung collapses and you spend a week in the ICU on a respirator...happens)
                  Ha oops! That is good to know, thanks Trent!
                  ---- Cynthia
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey