What would you do? (Read 523 times)

Pursue the career of your dreams without getting paid well... or... stay at your current job that you have no interest in, are bored all 9 hours a day, and takes an hour to get to because of highway traffic; but you find out that you will be pleasantly surprised with a promotion in store for you in January? Confused

Another Passion

I was in a job that I hated for 16 years and finally "stepped out of my comfort zone" a year ago and took a job that involved a pretty substantial pay cut (like 15 - 20% annually the first year), but have not regretted it a bit from day one as I am happy as a clam (if clams are truly happy Confused) now doing what I am doing and don't fret about getting up in the morning to go to work or stall going to bed on Sunday nights due to the impending start of a new work week. Everything has a price, whether it's monetarily measurable or not. That's what you have to decide for yourself, what is that price/cost trade-off worth to you. For me, the peace of mind I now have in what I do for a living... is priceless. Modified to add: Of particular note - our standard of living and ability to pay our bills really was not affected all that much following this change and decrease in compensation. Good luck in your discernment. Wink

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

va

What are your goals in life? How much do you need the extra money? Are you the primary bread-winner? Do you have a many financial obligations? Is your current job really that bad? I work at one job, and the people were always complaining that the offices were not carpeted. Then I changed jobs, and the people were always complaining the the carpeting was green. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

The voice of mile 18

how's the pay at the current job? not that money would make you happier but did have a lousy job w/ a lousy commute and was miserable now have a dull job with more normal hours and $ and time to do what I like (if the wife lets me Smile )

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I worked in a job for over 6 years that I ended up hating. I took a job with a company half the distance from where I was working along with a pretty good pay cut. I worked the numbers and knew things would be tight but the quality of life and the time I get to spend with my family now made it more than worth it. No regrets what so ever.
            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
              My wife is still pretty livid about my pay cut (and the fact that we are moving 2,000 miles away from her family) but I'm finally in the job I've wanted since high school (Law Enforcement)... I took about a $20K/year pay cut to come here but will make it back up within a couple of years... Still working on the marriage, but I'm hoping when my son and her move out here (not til March) she'll realize that it's for the best...Better job security (had 2 jobs outsourced from under me in I.T.), better retirement benefits, and I get to do a job that I actually ENJOY...
              "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                My hubby was in the army for our first 6 years together including 2 overseas tours. Now we live together and I am determined to spend as much time with him as I can, and right now that is little to nothing. With that said you guys are right family is most important to me, then job quality, then money. Thanks for your stories it made me feel better about my choice. My living standards wouldn't change so thats a plus. I want to be a happy clam like Rick Yes Still the curiosity about what my promotion might be... Evil grin
                  I recommend not reading the book, Feminine Mistake.

Vim

i chose my lower-paying dream job over taking advantage of some family hook-ups that would probably have allowed me more than double my current salary. no regrets. my lower-paying dream job still makes me crazy some days (a lot of days), and i put in waaaay too many hours beyond my paid hours and take on a ton of stress.... but all of that is b/c i love my job so damn much. i moderate my lifestyle to fit the budget that my salary and school debt allow. (i have no kids, though. if that ever changes, i may need to rethink things.)