RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Tramps

Gift Shop was very good. I'm still not sure about the motivations behind this one. The history of Street Art is a complicated one.

I'm inclined to believe it's a giant Banksy put-on.  The guy's a master at poking the commercial art scene in the eye.  Regardless, I thought the thing was hilarious.

Something completely different...I've been watching old Foyle's War episodes on DVD (which airs on PBS sometimes).  It's a British police detective drama set during WWII.  At first glance it seems really old-fashioned--almost corny.  But the writing is really quite good, the acting--especially the lead character--is subtle, and the writers creatively interweave lesser-known historical facts from the war into the plots.  Quality stuff, really.

Be safe. Be kind.

Something completely different...I've been watching old Foyle's War episodes on DVD (which airs on PBS sometimes).  It's a British police detective drama set during WWII.  At first glance it seems really old-fashioned--almost corny.  But the writing is really quite good, the acting--especially the lead character--is subtle, and the writers creatively interweave lesser-known historical facts from the war into the plots.  Quality stuff, really.

Tramps! we love Foyle's Way---even the 14-year-old kiddo can't get enough. Fine acting by Michael Kitchen--even just the slightest shift in his expression and you know. We got onto it (we've seen all episodes now) after watching Collision--also an ITV/BBC production. The director/writer of Collision is Anthony Horowitz and we liked that so much, we looked up his other stuff and came upon Foyles War. FWIW, Honeysuckle Weeks (driver Sam with the cool gloves) ran the London Marathon a few years back and did quite well---beat all the other British celebs.

Tramps

Tramps! we love Foyle's Way---even the 14-year-old kiddo can't get enough. Fine acting by Michael Kitchen--even just the slightest shift in his expression and you know. We got onto it (we've seen all episodes now) after watching Collision--also an ITV/BBC production. The director/writer of Collision is Anthony Horowitz and we liked that so much, we looked up his other stuff and came upon Foyles War. FWIW, Honeysuckle Weeks (driver Sam with the cool gloves) ran the London Marathon a few years back and did quite well---beat all the other British celebs.

Yes, Kitchen's got an amazingly expressive face; that's what I was thinking of when I said "subtle."  Didn't know Honeysuckle (what a name!) was a runner.  I'm not sure if you saw the DVD's or PBS broadcasts but the DVD's have nice little extras that explain the historical sources of the episodes, along with some interesting interviews with Horowitz and others.  We're in the middle of the third "season" (of 6, I think) and the quality is holding up well.

I saw Collision and liked it all the way to the ending, which I thought was a little hokey.  Entertaining along the way, though.  I never made the connection between the two.

Be safe. Be kind.

Be sure you get or rent the episodes filmed in 2010. Foyle's War originally ended after series (season) 6 and then so many wanted more and they filmed three more episodes. The extras and interviews are great. We are about to watch Downtown Abbey as our next family viewing project (we're BBC America and BBC junkies---all started with Dr. Who, Top Gear, and The Office)

check out "splinterheads" on netflix. its a really fun movie to watch, very refreshing actually. i think it has kind of an old fashioned feel to it, no big effects or endless plot twists, just good entertainment.

MrH

Just watched Smoke with Harvey Keitel and William Hurt. Nice movie.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Smoke is good.

Today, something totally different.  RANGO!!

Well, then.

Cool Jump Suit

Saw Hall Pass tonight. I get it.  I completely get it. 

So bittersweet,
                  This tragedy
                  Won't ask for absolution;
                  This melody,
                  Inside of me,
                  Still searches for solution.
                  A twist of faith,
                  A change of heart
                  Cures my infatuation.
                  A broken heart, 
                  Provides the spark
                  For my determination.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Smoke with Harvey Keitel and William Hurt

Was that a Duobiography? Who played Keitel, and who played Hurt?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Rango is awesome.  So far the only negative reviews I've seen are from people who live in Vegas. *snerk*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, so about Rango: don't take young kids.

Who know.

xor

Rango was good.  I didn't love love love it.  Supremely good animation.  I think the 11 year old we were with got really bored. 

That's the thing... unlike most things today, Rango moves at its own (generally slow) pace.  I liked that it wasn't a turbo 200mph action assault.  Also, unlike Shrek or (fill in many other animated thingies these days), it wasn't loaded with a million in-joke pop culture references from a million sources.  It had a few, but they were really good, and Rango gave you the time to enjoy them.  Rather than playing "wait, was that..." catch up in your brain after another 5 references have already passed by.

Rango was definitely weird.  In a good way.

Lots of poop and fart jokes for the kids though.

I wish I could say that I loved loved loved it.  I think I was supposed to.

One thing: it isn't like ANY animated feature I've seen in years.  Perhaps ever.  I'm happy I saw it just because of that.

Imminent Catastrophe

127 Hours. 

Wow.

Good for those moments when you think you're in a bad spot.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

it isn't like ANY animated feature I've seen in years.  Perhaps ever.  I'm happy I saw it just because of that.

Agreed.

The woman in the seat in front of us turned around and yelled at my daughter (thinking maybe she was my wife), "you should not have brought that toddler with you".  You know what?  She was right.  But how was I supposed to know?  It is a cartoon movie.

Except it is not.

xor

The theater we were in was packed with little and very little kids.  2pm on a Sunday afternoon.

The same theater only had Rango one one screen... although I think it was one of their bigger rooms.  That silly Justin Bieber thing is still on two screens and it has been out for a looooong time.