Ready for 5K? (Read 748 times)

Hi everyone ~ I spend most of my time over at the C25K forum, but I like reading all the advice and information here too. I'm in Week 9 of C25K and have gotten through it starting from 'sedentary', without repeating weeks. I am still 'slow' - about 12:30/mile. Considering I started out at something like 14-15:00/mile, the numbers show progress if nothing else. Anyway, my first 5K is on October 19th - 4 weeks away. I am still only covering about 2.25 miles in my workouts. My plan is to just continue running 30 minutes 3x's week (One Hour Running) for the next few weeks. Am I going to be ready to run 3.1 miles in 4 weeks? Based on my current pace, I'm thinking I will be somewhere in the 38 - 40 minute finish time for the 5K...will I be able to do that with only 30 minute runs under my belt? I welcome any suggestions that may help get me ready over the next 4 weeks for the first race. Thanks!
    Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
    JimR

As a beginner, you can improve a lot over the next 4 weeks. Just keep doing what you're doing. If you can stretch one of those weekly runs (not all 3, just 1) a bit longer, it'll help a lot...but be very careful not to overdo it.
        I had only done one 3 mile run before my first 5k. The rest of my runs were 2-2.5 miles. I did fine. You have plenty of time to be ready. Go for it!
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

I was just like waytogomom, and I did OK. Just remember to START OUT SLOWLY!!!! You won't believe how excited you are, and it's tempting to head out much faster than you should. Good luck! I'm glad you posted. C25K is a great program. You're doing well if you haven't repeated any weeks - I had to repeat several. Never apologize for your pace! I just did my first HM and came in 77th out of 85 in my age group (45-49), but I did it! That's what counts.
            Short answer - YES you will be ready....you're ready now you just dont know it..... Wink It's nice to run a distance before you go do it in a race, but not required....if you run 2.25 (or 30 mins) on three or four days per week for the next 4 weeks, you'll do just fine in the 5K race (youll finish and feel good doing it).......and it will be exciting after you hit the 2 mile mark in the race cause your getting close to running a new distance ...so its COOL....and 38 to 40 mins is a respectible first time.... That being said, you might want to try to get up to the 3 mile mark mabe 1 1/2 weeks before the race...cause that will do wonders for your confidence - just knowing you can do it.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I had only done one 3 mile run before my first 5k. The rest of my runs were 2-2.5 miles. I did fine. You have plenty of time to be ready. Go for it!
              I also completed C25K and before my first race had only done one 3m run beforehand. My race was a 4m-er and I signed up expecting to walk/run, based on my experiences on the road (it took me 9mths to complete C25K). However, I did finish without walking, with a 13mm pace and I wasn't even dead last! So yes, you can! Good luck.
              casualrunner

You'll be fine, the worst that can happen is that you walk some. Why not pick up C25K from week 5 or 6 and try and do distance instead of time?