How to log my miles? (Read 528 times)

Hey, I have a question to run by everyone. I'm slowly increasing my mileage, finally back from months on the bench with an injury. I'm up to around 8 miles per week. Today I accomplished something that was mad fun!! I started my friend, Wendy, in the C25K program. Since a Michigan winter isn't the best time to start running, I'm doing the program with her to keep her motivated. I used to walk with her, now I've brought her around to our way of thinking...why walk it when you can run it in half the time?? Big grin We just started day one, week one, so we are doing the 60 sec run, 90 sec walk for 20 min. My question is: since I don't even break a sweat during this workout & run but a few scant minutes, how do I log these miles? I wouldn't obsess about this, however, I'm rather prone to overuse injuries, even when I'm not overusing & I'm concerned that if I train with her, that will increase my mileage too fast. However, I don't want to stop my longer, faster runs by myself. And calculating the actual distance I run during the 60 sec intervals would be a little difficult. As the running time increases to 5-10 min, it will be easier to calculate, since I know my pace, but for 60 seconds, and currently running at her slower pace, I'm not sure... Any suggestions? Confused TIA for any help!! Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm not much help with the logging quesion, but I wanted to say BLESS YOU for helping your friend! The help of my friend Robin was the only reason I got started running, and now I love it. I told her I DON'T RUN and she said, "I'm picking you up tomorrow at 1!" She was the first person who told me that I didn't have to run a LONG way - I could just run from one telephone pole to the next, and then walk to the following one. I couldn't even run a quarter mile, but I stuck with it. Robin would patiently run with me, and when we got back to the car she would smile and say, "OK, I think I'll run a little more now!" So I don't think she counted her miles with me at all, lol. After her initial help, I did the C25K program with another non-runner friend, and during our first year, we've run eight 5Ks. It's awesome! The hardest part of the program was when we were expected to increase our running time from 8 minutes to 20 minutes in one shot. What?!?! That was beyond us, so we increased our time more gradually. Then I got stuck at 20 minutes for awhile. So you might warn Wendy about plateaus and encourage her to keep trying! Now I'm at 5.4 miles and trying to increase to a half marathon next September. A true miracle, and if I can do it, anyone in good health can! Today we had a beautiful run in 20 degree weather and steady snow - how can you beat that? Teresa

Just put your total mileage into the workout. You could create a workout type for run/walk mix, or use the intervals section for interval/recovery, but for myself I'd tend to just put in the miles that I ran for that workout and at the pace. Giving a separate workout color will make it easier on graphs and summaries to tell which were low intensity and which were normal workouts.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just put your total mileage into the workout. You could create a workout type for run/walk mix
          I think someone else told her this, yesterday... Evil grin Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I think someone else told her this, yesterday... Evil grin Wink
            Someone did in fact tell me this yesterday!! Big grin Just wanted to know if anyone else had run in to this & had any advice. Thanks! And Teresa, thanks for the inspirational story! I'm going pass that along to Wendy. Actually I am going to get her signed up on RA if I can! Thanks again, Eryn
            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
              Just put your total mileage into the workout. You could create a workout type for run/walk mix... Giving a separate workout color will make it easier on graphs and summaries to tell which were low intensity and which were normal workouts.
              I do this Eryn. I have a separate workout/color/category for low intensity jogs/walks. This is usually when I talk the dog out and jog with her a little, but mainly just walk her around the neighborhood and let her sniff around.