Loving biking! (Read 329 times)

Hip Redux

I think I forgot the smiley face with my last post Smile

Heh, me too!

:P

Jan26.2

Ok, that sounds more do-able right now than 80 miles. Smile

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, that sounds more do-able right now than 80 miles. Smile

I would put money on you being able to do 80, too.  Biking's not like running.  A increase from 50 to 80 would be a challenge, but it wouldn't be the worst experience ever.  I think you could probably do 100 if you paced yourself well.  But, yeah, if you can do a metric century, then you'd not be at all crazy to start considering a full 100 miler. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Ultimately the main difference between riding 50 and riding 100 is eating enough to keep going (and having enough time to do it)...

I will be testing all these theories tomorrow.  The longest ride I have done so far this year is about 50 miles. I will be riding 75 tomorrow. I will stop every 25 miles miles for "nourishment" :-) On Sunday I will be riding back 55 miles. I will not be in a hurry. I will be carrying gear. The weather is looking perfect, and I'm excited!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Twice I've ridden nearly 150 miles in a single day when my longest "training" ride previously had been a century.  From 50 to 75...easy peasy.  diddidit just rode about 290 in a single weekend, this past one.  Totally doable. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And for some reassurance...my longest ride this year was 70 miles a couple of weeks ago.  Tomorrow I am FINALLY getting in my first century of the year (at least 2 months later than usual -- thanks in large part to slow-healing wrist and a 50ish degree monsoon a few weeks ago that axed my previous first century in 2013 plans).  I know the last 10 miles will probably be a little uncomfortable, but mostly because it's a semi-hilly route and I've not ridden many hills ever since we moved to a really flat area.  Where we previous lived I could hit hills 10-15 miles from my front door.

~ Sarah Kay

You were right!  Completed it without a hitch!

Here's the story: http://ultracassie.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-great-ride-along-little-miami-scenic.html

Big grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What a great way to cover those miles!  That's the beauty of long bike rides, too -- it's MUCH easier to ingest some real food along the way. On a longer run I can't tolerate anything much more substantial than sport beans, but on a long ride it's NBD to eat a burger or an ice cream cone.

I'm glad you had a great ride, but I knew you would!  What's your next 2-wheeled goal?  I think you've got to find a century very soon.  Great way to cap-off your '13 riding season, IMO. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks!  Not sure about the next one. My hip injury is on its way out of the door so my running is picking up again.  I'm running the Air Force Half in 3 weeks. That will be my longest run in months.

I spent last week in Texas for work so no biking. Guess I should get back to it this week. Time to go revise the training plan.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had a really great day on the bike 2 days ago.  Rode in the JDRF Ride to Cure in Nashville...104 miles, lotsa hills.  Got to roll about 45 miles with an RA member and another RA member's DH for part of the route, too.

Aside from the jaunty tilt of my helmet (the result of bulky 3rd party replacement pads that cause it to fit poorly.  Time to order legitimate Lazer ones), I love this photo during one of the memorable climbs of the day (I believe HStreet's DH was with me at this point):

The ride raised a whopping $1.5 MILLION towards finding a cure for Type 1 diabetes.  And I feel extra well-prepared for a hilly long-course duathlon in <2 weeks -- bonus!!

~ Sarah Kay

Hip Redux

That's a great pic, Zoomy!  I love the orange/blue combo on the bike too.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's a great pic, Zoomy!  I love the orange/blue combo on the bike too.

Thanks!  I get SO many compliments on that thing, especially since my wheel upgrade.  My favorite thing is when people tell me my bike's hot as I pass them. Evil

~ Sarah Kay

Hip Redux

Thanks!  I get SO many compliments on that thing, especially since my wheel upgrade.  My favorite thing is when people tell me my bike's hot as I pass them. Evil

Heh!

They are actually my HS colors, so it brings back a bit of nostalgia for me.  Plus, it's a pretty damn sexy bike. lol