Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

For the non-cricketers here, that’s the equivalent of Game 7 in the final of the NBA championship going to triple overtime, still being tied, and then being won on a countback on 3 pointers or something like that.

Having said that, congrats to Mikkey and the English, that was an unbelievable final which will likely never be topped.

Yeah that was a once in a life time final and those last couple of overs and the super over was unbelievable and England literally won it by a split second in the final ball of the match!  I do feel sorry for NZ though!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah that was a once in a life time final and those last couple of overs and the super over was unbelievable and England literally won it by a split second in the final ball of the match!  I do feel sorry for NZ though!

A friend summed it up quite well on facebook:

"Well to any non-cricket fans, that's why we love our sport. The World Cup final gets decided by an arcane rule, and in the lead up, when the crucial runs are hit the batsmen who hit them immediately apologizes to all his opponents. What a game."

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Weekly update.

It was a rough week weather wise.  It was 83-88 degrees during runs, which was pretty brutal with no wind and a bunch of humidity.  Felt good on the workout/run times, but it is prepping me for the late August 1/2 marathon which will likely be high 70's low 80 degrees.

Monday 9.6 miles easy run 7:36 pace

Tuesday 11.2 miles easy run 7:45 pace

Wednesday 9 miles Hard/tempo run at 6:47 pace.  This run was with my local track (road racing actually) club.  Mostly guys in their mid 20's post DIII from my alma mater.  A few of us old guys (over 30) running with them to relive our youth.  It was pretty taxing for me but fortunately the route was along the river in the shade so it wasn't too bad.

Thursday Having originally planned to go longer on Wed, I switched my run to Thursday and ran a moderate pace.  11.2 @ 7:17 pace.

Friday I ran a tempo run with 3 mile warm up, 3 miles at 10k pace (6:15-25 pace), and 3 mile cool down.  finished with a 7:20 average.  This was the hottest day of the week so I started the run at 9 pm and got back around 10 pm.

Saturday To beat the heat I ran first thing in the morning (7:30 am) after the late run the day before.  It was an easy 11 but I felt like trash as i had a granola bar before going out the door.  For all these runs there are water fountains on the run so I keep hydrated without having to carry water, but I had 0 energy.  11.1 miles 7:56 pace.

Sunday Out early again to beat the heat.  Out the door at 8 am. Ran 14.3 miles running a progression averaging 7:40 pace.  Last 3 miles were at 7 min/miles.  The heat got to me even with water breaks at 5 and 10 mile marker fountains.  Threw up in the front yard.  Took an ice cold shower for 15 min.  Even drinking on the run, I lost 12 lbs.  After the shower and about 1/2 gallon of Gatorade and a chipotle burrito.  I felt much better.  Working tonight at my second job in a homeless shelter without AC so it will be a long day, but it is in a basement so it doesn't get much above 75 degrees which is nice.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Schumacher nice week and in the heat as well. We are opposite seasons so the Kiwis are suffering through another mild winter 

Flavio/Mark/Mikkey- I woke up just in time to catch the last main over which was the 15 runs to win for England. The ball hitting the bat and going to the boundary was freakish. Anyway a great game.

I ran 23 miles last week which was a bigger one for me. My piriformis seems better now. I did have a slight ache the day after Papamoa Hills run while driving the 3 hours to Napier but its ok now.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Most people in Minnesota hate me for it, but i would be happy if it was between -15 and 50 degrees year round.  I'm not built for heat. My college PR's were in XC and Track were all on cold rainy days.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Why not just have some time out during the summer? That’s what I’ve done for the last 2/3 years and it’s easy enough to get back into it again when more motivated...just keep up with the strength training and keep an eye on your weight. You aren’t even 40yo and have only run about 4 marathons so quit the snowflake talk about not having a lot more fulls/halfs in you!  And any particular reason why you want to run Boston again? If you are going to call it quits next year then I’d say find a different marathon/experience.

All the banter about the cricket, and I forgot to come back to this as there's a great discussion to be had here.

I guess the question is what really motivates you as a runner - is it intrinsic or extrinsic?  Intrinsic being internal motivation i.e. you do it for personal satisfaction or accomplishment, or extrinsic being external reward - in the case of running it could be trophies, prize money, recognition, etc.

Knowing that JMac is pretty focused on nailing PB's at the moment, I was trying to figure out whether that's an intrinsic or an extrinsic motivator.  The answer I came up with is that it could really be either although for most of us I suspect it's some combination of the two.

Intrinsic - trying to push your PB's for the satisfaction of testing your own limits and seeing just how fast you can get

Extrinsic - trying to push your PB's to set fast times that will earn the respect/admiration of others

For me personally, motivation is probably about 90% intrinsic, 10% extrinsic.  My primary motivator is actually just because I love doing it, I (almost) always feel better after a run than before it, and just getting out and running in the fresh air helps keep my head clear.

I started doing it because I wanted to see how good I could get, and that's still a very strong motivator also, but even if I wasn't racing, I would still keep running (maybe not quite so much though).  And yeah I think we probably all enjoy it when we have a shiny new PB to parade, but the enjoyment I get from that is small compared to the thrill of approaching the finish line, knowing within myself that I've nailed it and run a kick-ass race.  I guess what confirms that for me is the fact that my marathon PB is starting to nag at me, because I (now) know I'm (theoretically) capable of a lot better.

I guess the roundabout point I'm coming to in JMac's case is probably the same as where Mikkey landed - maybe it's about just trying to find a wider schedule and/or experience that will motivate you?  I've got a few ideas about what I'll do in the longer term on that front (I love checking out new races, and I'd also be keen to be a pace runner and help others achieve their goals).

Also bear in mind that I have a kid and my wife works weekends so 'weekend plans' are not really a factor in my life at the moment (other than, "go for run before wife leaves for work, entertain toddler for 8-10 hours, repeat")

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark I was hoping one of those definitions would encompass fitness jogging but alas no 

I do feel better after a run but I don't love the actual act of running.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

has anyone run a rock n roll half marathon lately? i'm aiming for 1:25 this upcoming Sunday in Chicago, and was really hoping there would be a pace group. However, I am suspecting that the fastest group will be 1:30. Anyone seen anything faster? Thanks!

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I have a few thoughts here.

First, it's almost all intrinsic for me. At first when I started, I may have cared a bit about telling people I could break 3 hours in a marathon, but once you get past that point, most people do not know the vast difference between a 2:59 and a 2:29. Additionally, nobody cares! This whole sport should be about yourself or your running community.

Second, similar to piwi, I don't know that I really love running. Yes, I do enjoy most of my runs. But I am not excited to get out there 6 days a week. If I didn't care about PRs, I would probably only run 2-3x per week, and there would be weeks at a time where I would not run at all. I do feel better after running, and it's a big stress reliever, but I would not be running 60+ MPW. Probably do more of a varied approach to exercise, which is healthier anyway.

Finally, the biggest thing for me is if we have kids. I don't know how you guys do it with young ones at home, but it seems impossible to me. It's going to be especially difficult for us as we will not have any family help, so it's going to be a heavy burden. If there's one thing I love the most, it is SLEEP. I already know how much I will have to sacrifice to have a kid, I do not plan on waking up at 4 am to go running.

So a lot of it is not really about just sucking it up. It's that I'm working very hard to get these PRs now, but if we have a kid, there is absolutely no way I will be willing to take care of a kid on top of the amount of running I'm doing.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac, Mark, James, Watson - Good weeks.

Flavio - Too bad about the cold, but at least you're getting over it. If I run with a cold it's always super-easy. I think anything harder can easily be counter-productive.
                      I hate to hear that about your parents as well. Thankfully my parents are doing well, but my in-laws are the ones having issues. FIL is on the verge of being diabetic, and MIL has RA that's just killing her joints, to the point that she'll likely have both shoulders and knees worked on before long.

Piwi - 9pm bed time? I'm ridiculously jealous. It seems like I can't get to sleep until at least 10.

DP - Nice week, especially in those conditions.

JMac - I currently have 3 kiddos, and there's a point before each at which you think "I'll never be able to do XXX when the kid-count increases", but somehow things just seem to work out. No, I don't have the scheduling flexibility I would sans-kiddos, but I largely make it happen.

Timbo - Sorry, no input here as I've never run a R 'n' R race.

What's this talk about cricket being a game? Those are the little buggers that chirp all night so far as I know.

A nothing of a week from me. Good run last Monday, but no more runs until a short trail run Sunday due to family stuff (vacation, etc). The trail run was fun - I wish I could do that more often, or find some non-ultra trail races to jump into around here.

Back to the grind this week, though, and I had a pretty good start. I somehow did something stupid with my watch this morning that left me without any feedback at all once I started above easy effort. No power, pace, HR, nothing. Not even distance outside of when an auto-lap would trigger (review screen just showing lap HR and total e-gain). Upon review, I somehow or another nailed it - power was just right, and GAP was just right there as well (a bit slow when looking at just the pace, but I'm quite happy with it given the temp/DP). Executing the run (basically hill repeats at M effort) as well as I did well just off of feel (DWave style!) is oddly satisfying. 
                      If all goes according to plan I'll run every day this week, including a group run Sunday, which should be a nice change in pace.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Check out this wonderful forecast for race day Saturday!

Time

Temp

Feels Like

Cloud Cover

Dew Point

Humidity

Winds

7:00 am

82 °F

90 °F

23%

74 °F

76%

5 mph W

8:00 am

85 °F

93 °F

22%

74 °F

70%

6 mph WNW

9:00 am

87 °F

96 °F

21%

74 °F

64%

7 mph WNW

10:00 am

90 °F

99 °F

18%

73 °F

59%

8 mph WNW

11:00 am

92 °F

103 °F

17%

73 °F

54%

9 mph WNW

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Time

Temp

Feels Like

Cloud Cover

Dew Point

Humidity

Winds

82 °F

90 °F

23%

74 °F

76%

5 mph W

85 °F

93 °F

22%

74 °F

70%

6 mph WNW

87 °F

96 °F

21%

74 °F

64%

7 mph WNW

90 °F

99 °F

18%

73 °F

59%

8 mph WNW

92 °F

103 °F

17%

73 °F

54%

9 mph WNW

Insert "nope.gif". 

Aside: is image embedding broken on RA?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Nope. Don't Like that. - Michael Scott

Time

Temp

Feels Like

Cloud Cover

Dew Point

Humidity

Winds

82 °F

90 °F

23%

74 °F

76%

5 mph W

85 °F

93 °F

22%

74 °F

70%

6 mph WNW

87 °F

96 °F

21%

74 °F

64%

7 mph WNW

90 °F

99 °F

18%

73 °F

59%

8 mph WNW

92 °F

103 °F

17%

73 °F

54%

9 mph WNW

On the motivation...  It is very intrinsic for me in pushing myself to the max.  Even running DIII in college I was average to below average.  So trying to push PR's are for me, but I have an all or nothing attitude with training.  I can't do 4 days a week running or something like that.  I really wish I could.  But 2 days off becomes 3 years off every time.  I need to make my self do it compulsively every day or I just can't keep the motivation up.  Pushing toward PR's is also why I moved up in distances.  I was a 800m/1500m guy in college, so there is plenty of 5k, 10k, 1/2 and full marathon time to improve.  My only strong time is my 10k (35:19) which i still think i can beat.  Other wise, i have clearly demonstrated by putting on 70 lbs, it is way too easy for me to just stay on the couch.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Intrinsic - trying to push your PB's for the satisfaction of testing your own limits and seeing just how fast you can get

Extrinsic - trying to push your PB's to set fast times that will earn the respect/admiration of others

I would agree with JMac and say mostly intrinsic, especially after the “honeymoon PB period” dies down!  Yes it’s nice to get some respect and admiration from others, but none of my closest friends or family do any competitive running and wouldn’t understand the personal joy of shaving a few seconds off a PB!  When I’m in training mode I generally feel better overall with more energy and have a more positive attitude...but I always need a goal race to stay motivated!

Marky - You posted in the other thread about Next 4% sizing...I only have the previous VF 4% model and they’re true to size for me, most of my other running shoes are 1/2 a size larger, including the ZoomFly. You’ll not be disappointed with the purchase and worth every penny/dollar!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JamesD

JamesD

95% intrinsic for me.  I like training for races and doubt I would run as much if there weren't any, but that's because a race gives me a goal and a way to measure myself.  The fellowship aspect of races is fun too (especially since I train alone), but it's because I'm with other people who are also trying their hardest, not about impressing them with my times or beating them.  I suppose if I were single and younger the percentages might be more like 90-10 or 80-20.   

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32