Manchester City Marathon 11/4/07 (Caution: report is longer than the race) (Read 1297 times)

Another Passion

I am so happy for you, Ed! Congratulations!! As others have already said, this is an inspiration for my first marathon come April! Way to go on the sub-4 hour race! That rocks! Compelling report so, the length was not an issue my friend! Congratulations again! You should be VERY proud! Wink

Rick
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Wasatch Speedgoat

Hi Ed.... Great job! My run didn't go as well...I woke up that morning with a bad chest cold and my planned 3:29 gradually faded to a 3:45:53, so I finished right ahead of you. I struggled all day long...but i did qualify for Boston and that will be my next marathon. Rest up, you deserve it! That was not an easy course....it was road marathon #28 for me. Steve PS: I did go home and have a couple of Guinness' as the next day was my 56th b'day Wink

Life is short, play hard!

Another Passion

Congratulations, Steve! I know it's not the finishing time you were looking for, but it's a BQ qualifier nonetheless! And, under the circumstances, with the onset of the cold, that's awesome!

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Thanks for a great report! You met a lot of nice people along the way, but then you seem to have a way to bring out the best in people you meet. Great shirt, too! And the time is awesome. So will you stick with the Galloway method? I started out that way in my training but didn't have the patience to continue with it. bas
          Thanks bas! I started running rather late in life, and I think I will probably stick with the run/walk method that has allowed me to run injury free for a couple of years now. I'm probably fairly well entrenched in the 6/1 pattern, but I could adjust it to 4/ 0:30 or 7/1 or just drop the break entirely for shorter runs (at present I use the breaks for ALL runs, including the 5K race series I run). If I run additional marathons, I'm pretty sure they will be run/walk efforts.
          Hi Ed.... Great job! My run didn't go as well...I woke up that morning with a bad chest cold and my planned 3:29 gradually faded to a 3:45:53, so I finished right ahead of you. I struggled all day long...but i did qualify for Boston and that will be my next marathon. Rest up, you deserve it! That was not an easy course....it was road marathon #28 for me. Steve PS: I did go home and have a couple of Guinness' as the next day was my 56th b'day Wink
          Sorry to hear you were under the weather, but delighted to hear that you managed a BQ time in spite of it. What a fantastic early birthday gift! Rewinding the mental footage from the finish, I believe I did see you but I didn't put two and two together. Terribly sorry, I'll do my best to make up for it in April as you make your way from Hopkinton to Boston.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Wow! What an awesome report. Definitely worth every second of reading it. Congratuations on such a great marathon and even more so for enjoying it the way you did. Your report has me wanting to run another marathon for sure. Smile

Michelle

I hope you had a beer for me. Big grin

Dog-Love

Great to read your report on this dark and cold Alaskan afternoon. Great job, great finish. Make me want to run one next year
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  Great: 1. Race 2. Report 3. Pictures Big grin
                  2009: BQ?

Along for the Ride

Ed - congratulations! As others have said already - I enjoyed reading every bit of your report. You have such a great attitude and do seem to bring out the best in people. I liked the parts where you make it a point to thank people. Great time! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Anyone have pizza?

Ed, First of all, congrats. You did something I have not yet done (sub-4), but hope to perhaps next year when I figure out how to avoid cramping from miles 21 and onward. Congrats to an awesome race. You did great!!! Second of all, if you and I ever got together to write a book about marathon experiences, I think the asking price would have to be around $100 dollars for the hardcover. And that's just to cover the cost of the paper and printed ink...... Congrats again!