Indianapolis Monumental Marathon (Read 108 times)

HermosaBoy

Any thoughts on the course, organization, etc,?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

DonK

I ran the race for the first time last year. I had great weather so that may influence my review.

I'll start with the few negative things I can remember -

1. At the start of the race the announcer was giving incorrect instructions to the half marathoners. They were supposed to start with the full, the announcer was telling them to get out of the corrals. Someone corrected him with about 5 minutes to go & I don't believe it caused any major issues.

2.... hmmm, that's about it.

Postitives

1. Course is flat & fast, out near 15 or 18 there were a few elevation gains, but nothing big.

2. Crowd support was good, out on the far end of the course some houses setup independent  spirit stations. If you're up for it one had beer and I heard one has whiskey - but I didn't notice them.

3. Expo - well run & easy to get you stuff

4. Town - if you're staying near the start/finish there are many options for eating and post run entertainment

All in all I had a great experience at the race.

onemile

I have run it 3 times and will probably run it again this fall.

It's flat, fast, good size, usually has good weather. Well organized. My only complaint.. I didn't run it last year but in 2015 the roads seemed a little rough...cracks, potholes, etc.

Stephen1141

Ditto what everyone else said. Great race, flat, fast and good crowd support. Early november so weather is usually pretty good too. Definitely recommend, especially if you're looking for a fast time.

Dutch262

Agree with what everyone else said, its really a good race. The official race hotels are cheap when you consider other big city races, would definitely recommend staying in one. Course is flat and fast. Expo and pasta party were good, although I wouldn't do the pasta party again. It was catered by Fazolis. Food was good, just not worth the price.

Only complaint I had was parts of the course was not completely closed to traffic. For example around the half way point we were running down a four lane road. Left two lanes were for runners, right two were for traffic. Saw a few cases where a car would try to turn across the left lane to get to a side street.

C-R

This is one of my hometown races so I may be a bit biased but this is a good one. Well organized, fast course, well supported. Staying local is reasonable and lots to do around town pre and post race.

Definitely one you will enjoy.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

rlopez

It is very well managed, but it has become quite crowded. The start is kind of a nightmare... I hope they fix this. They advertise corrals and they have corrals but they do not enforce corrals at all... so, yeah. In the 3:45ish range, the course stays crowded... at your pace, just show up early so you don't get stuck not-at-the-front and this won't affect you.  The organization is very good. I like the course, although it is kind of odd... you do this spiral thing around downtown and then you go out north, putter around, and come back.

Flat and fast as advertised (subject to crowding and what "fast" might be). One year I ran it in a million layers because it was 25 with windchill much lower. The other two times were more mild. 

Jen has run it every year.

It's my hometown race now too, of course, but I don't love love love it.

Oh. Last year, they developed this quirk where they'd do all these amazing "special announcements" and "breaking news" and it was never once anything that runners actually give a shit about. Once it was to tell us about a new sponsor. Once it was to tell us that the org had changed its name from "Monumental" to "Beyond Monumental". Which is kind of a wtf name, but they are very proud of it.

It IS one of those races where cars get kind of impatient on parts of the course. Between, say, mile 14-20, you will get some honks. But the police are ON IT and you will be safe.

Yes, last year, the announcer was giving out goofy info, :-)

If you come, let us know.

rlopez

I have run it 3 times and will probably run it again this fall.

It's flat, fast, good size, usually has good weather. Well organized. My only complaint.. I didn't run it last year but in 2015 the roads seemed a little rough...cracks, potholes, etc.

Yeah, that aspect has not changed. Sorry about that.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Good race.

I appreciate their stance on doping and the encouragement of developing athletes (they awarded substantial cash those who hit the 2016 OTQ at the race).

As rlopez stated, the start is a cluster. The routing of the opening miles appears to have fewer turns than the 2014 course; but I'd venture to say it's still hazardous with potholed pavement, traffic islands, and random parked cars that one just can't anticipate or see when embedded in the throng. I hope they got rid of the first aid station which, in 2014, was on the inside after a blind corner - stupid.

If you survive the 4-mile gauntlet, it's a nice race. I'd do it again.

Liz

pace sera, sera

HermosaBoy

Thanks for the info!!!

My wife is thinking of doing it with a friend for their fall marathon.  My participation will be dependent on how the high school XC team I coach does (it is the same weekend as the state meet).

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Feeling the growl again

Despite being hometown I've only done it once and that was an injury DNF.  But I was impressed with the overall speed and design of the course and the organization.  If you're coming from out of town you will find it affordable total cost for a largish city marathon.  Indy has come a long way in the last 15-20 years.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I hope they got rid of the first aid station which, in 2014, was on the inside after a blind corner - stupid.

They finally moved that aid station this year!

As Robert said, I've run it every year. Other than the crowded start I love the race. The weather is typically nice and it's well organized. Great volunteers. I've PR'd the full 2 out of 3 times and the half several times as well. It's a fast course in my opinion if you corral properly.

NorthNorthwest

I've run it 3 times in the last ~5 years and agree with the prior comments. One more positive I'll add: in past years the convention center (site of the expo) has been open the morning of the race, which acts as a place to stay warm and use the restroom before the race. I stay with family in the burbs, so I like to get downtown plenty early to park and avoid the traffic. It's big enough that I do my warmup in there. Then the starting line is only a block or two away. A really nice amenity as it's usually windy and a little chilly.

The race gets two thumbs up from me, but I agree that the roads can be pretty rough at points. You do need to watch your step. Nothing the race organizers can do about that.

DennisF6

I appreciated reading the mostly positive comments.  This will be my first full marathon in 5 years and only my third overall.  So I am pretty nervous but also very excited to do this.  Two more weeks!

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

I'm running it too. I can't wait. I ran the half last year as a pacer for a friend, and this year I will be racing the full as my fall goal race.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound