Trainer vs. Outside (Read 896 times)

My wife just bought me a trainer for my birthday (what a great lady) after I bought my first bike this past summer. I'm finding riding on the trainer to be harder than riding outside, but it's been winter here for a few months and I haven't ridden in some time. My bike's computer agrees with me, saying I'm averaging three to four mph slower than I'm used to seeing. However, when I was setting up the stand and my bike, I accidentally reset my bike's computer. While I believe I've recalibrated my cheap computer correctly, I can't be certain because who holds onto a little manual for something like this. So, is it the trainer adding resistance, my legs, my head, or my computer?

Blaine Moore (MM#2867)

So, is it the trainer adding resistance, my legs, my head, or my computer?
      Yes.

Run to Win
      24 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ok, how much difference does a trainer usually provide? I got a magneto, so I don't have the option of adjusting the resistance, it changes automatically.
        TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

d, Oh trust me, you can increase resistance, just shift up like outside. I would not try to calibrate your MPH, it's just different. After a few times on the beast you will swear time stands still anyway. Liven things up with drills, like one legged drills and stuff. Craig
          -Craig ced53 at yahoo dot com

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

d, Oh trust me, you can increase resistance, just shift up like outside. I would not try to calibrate your MPH, it's just different. After a few times on the beast you will swear time stands still anyway. Liven things up with drills, like one legged drills and stuff. Craig
            And concentrate on spinning smoothly - listen to the sound the infernal thing makes, and try to keep it steady. You'll be a better rider in the spring. did

fxdgear

Check out spinervals. Makes the time pass a little more quickly. I am primarily a cyclist and use a variety of these dvds throughout the winter. They last anywhere from 45 minutes to a killer 3 hours.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I like to put a movie in and turn out the lights. Anything to distract me from the wall in front of me. did