Trainer vs. Outside (Read 897 times)

My wife just bought me a trainer for my birthday (what a great lady) after I bought my first bike this past summer. I'm finding riding on the trainer to be harder than riding outside, but it's been winter here for a few months and I haven't ridden in some time. My bike's computer agrees with me, saying I'm averaging three to four mph slower than I'm used to seeing. However, when I was setting up the stand and my bike, I accidentally reset my bike's computer. While I believe I've recalibrated my cheap computer correctly, I can't be certain because who holds onto a little manual for something like this. So, is it the trainer adding resistance, my legs, my head, or my computer?

So, is it the trainer adding resistance, my legs, my head, or my computer?
      Yes.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ok, how much difference does a trainer usually provide? I got a magneto, so I don't have the option of adjusting the resistance, it changes automatically.
        TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

d, Oh trust me, you can increase resistance, just shift up like outside. I would not try to calibrate your MPH, it's just different. After a few times on the beast you will swear time stands still anyway. Liven things up with drills, like one legged drills and stuff. Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

d, Oh trust me, you can increase resistance, just shift up like outside. I would not try to calibrate your MPH, it's just different. After a few times on the beast you will swear time stands still anyway. Liven things up with drills, like one legged drills and stuff. Craig
            And concentrate on spinning smoothly - listen to the sound the infernal thing makes, and try to keep it steady. You'll be a better rider in the spring. did

fxdgear

Check out spinervals. Makes the time pass a little more quickly. I am primarily a cyclist and use a variety of these dvds throughout the winter. They last anywhere from 45 minutes to a killer 3 hours.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I like to put a movie in and turn out the lights. Anything to distract me from the wall in front of me. did