Running outside after being a treadmiller...discouraging and embarrassing! (Read 2818 times)

Me and my gang in Breck

Nina, It will come and probally quickly. You will be amazed at how the body will adjust. Two years ago at the end of this month I could barely run between telephones. Don't be embarrased. Be proud and go at your pace.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Hi Nina Welcome to Running Ahead. Everyone on this forum started out the same way as you. What seems hard in the beginning becomes easier over time. Make sure you are not trying to run too fast in the beginning and maintain an easy pace. Time on your feet is more distance covered. Just be consistant in your training and progress will come. Good Luck! My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
      Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/

My legs are killing me

Nina, I agree with gumbee, you probably ran too fast. I use the treadmill quite often because of the weather and running outside is a different beast because there is nothing to hold your tempo down. I think most people have the tendenacy to pace themselves faster outside which is probably what you did. Just take it easy on your next outside run and keep your pace down. Don't be so hard on yourself, as Marcus said we all have bad days. Your doing great!

Oh Mighty Wing

Nina - you will absolutely be fine!! You might have to slow down a little to run outside. Keep at it though and you will get acclimated and you will see improvement! You are doing great just keep it up!!!
            No need to be discouraged or embarrassed, running out side is a lot harder than running on a treadmill. The great outdoors has wind, hills, hard and uneven ground and it's much harder to regulate your pace. Consequently you end up using more effort than you are used to, using different muscles than you are used to and it ends up kicking your butt. Try making the switch to outdoor running gradually to give yourself more time to adapt to it. Start out doing one of your runs a week outside and add more as you are able. Also make sure that you do those runs with the same effort as you do on the treadmill. Use your breathing as a guide and slow your pace to the point where you can carry on a conversation. You will need to run at a slower pace than you are used to but it will pick up as you adapt. Tom
            FastTalkingFatty

Never worry about what others might think, as someone posted earlier: other people probably barely notice you. No one else knows how far you are running or have run. And run/walk is like interval training only really slowly. You're building up step by step and you'll be amazed at how quickly you can progress. But seriously, never let the imagined perceptions of others to discourage you. Be proud.

<www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/

Hi Nina, I struggle with this too. I can run for 30 minutes on a TM without a walk break, but outside I have to stop for a minute or two after about 8-10 minutes. Like everyone else said, just keep at it, and you won't believe how far you can come!
                -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.