Which would you rather PR, a 5K or a 10K? (Read 241 times)

joescott

So given the choice, I'd take a 5k PR because running a 10k PR would imply that I was actually running a 10k.

Yeah, that's kind of it for me too, including "least favorite race distance", etc.  Excellent analysis!  :-)

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

npaden

You will virtually have no chance to perform at your best in the 5K within 30 min after an all out 10K. It is physiologically impossible. It will be a "not fun" experience. I think you have best chance at 5K PR so based on that rationale, I would do that. However, I personally would try to find a 10K within 2-3 weeks and give that a go while very fit even if I had to travel to it.

Yeah, I looked at the Double Race thing that runinskirts posted and they get a full hour between the 2 races for recovery.

15 minutes probably won't cut it.

I do have a local 10K the week before I would be doing these races so the conservative thing for sure would be to race the local 10K to try for a PR which would be a legit PR and might be a possibility and then race the 5K.

I still think it would end up with an asterisk because of the downhill though.  That's why it might be fun to do the double attempt because then it would make it a lot more legit even if I can't accomplish it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

kcam

Yeah.  I've done back to backs.  In my case it was a 5K followed by a 10K.  The 5K I ran all out, and the 10K was for funzies.  The 5K turned out to be near my PR and the 10K was about 2 minutes slower than my PR but still a solid effort.  I got lucky and won AG prizes for both, too.  I think less people were running the 10K that day.

Since these are NOT in your marathon training cycle afterall I say go for the Double.  It is a unique experience.  Do not expect to PR in both races, though, unless you are having a very incredible day.  Have you heard of the Double Road race series?  It is actually kind of a thing around these parts.  https://www.doubleroadrace.com/eventinfo  Some people really get into this challenge.

The only time I've run back to back road races was one of the Double road races.  I was running in the 38-38:30 range for 10K and 17:54-18:15 range for 5K at the time.  The Double starts with the 10K and then the 5K exactly 1 hour and 45 minutes later.  I ran 39:16 for the 10K (so a very hard effort but not exactly 100%).  When it came time for the 5K I couldn't find any comfortable rhythm  or pace and came in at 20:22!  That was the best I could do.   Back to back races for me are hard, and that day took a couple weeks for me to recover from.  Tread with caution, OP.

So, here's your precedent. Jesse Owens schedule on May 25, 1935:

3:15 PM - 100-yard dash in 9.4 seconds, tying the world record.

3:25 PM - long-jumped 26 feet 8¼ inches, breaking the world record

3:34 PM - 220-yard dash in 20.3 seconds, breaking the world record

4:00 PM - 220-yard hurdles in 22.6 seconds, breaking the world record.

Now go ahead and set 2 PR's, and quit yer bitchin'.

Dave

npaden

The only time I've run back to back road races was one of the Double road races.  I was running in the 38-38:30 range for 10K and 17:54-18:15 range for 5K at the time.  The Double starts with the 10K and then the 5K exactly 1 hour and 45 minutes later.  I ran 39:16 for the 10K (so a very hard effort but not exactly 100%).  When it came time for the 5K I couldn't find any comfortable rhythm  or pace and came in at 20:22!  That was the best I could do.   Back to back races for me are hard, and that day took a couple weeks for me to recover from.  Tread with caution, OP.

That's some good information.  I'm thinking the 200' drop should shave off 15 to 20 seconds on that last mile in either race.  That would almost guarantee a PR in the 5K but then again I have the whole asterisk thing to deal with.

Maybe try to knock the 10K PR out the week before at the local race and then go back to doing the race during vacation as a fun run type deal.  Run the 10K like a Tempo workout and finish in the top 10 with a 46 or 47 minute and then run the 5K at close to full effort but without any expectations of a PR.  That way I would still finish in the top 10 of both races which would be pretty neat and I wouldn't have a PR with an asterisk beside it for either distance.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

SMART Approach

Take the darn PR. You can do tempos and "work outs" on your own. Also, unlikely 200 ft will cut 20 sec off your time. Don't sell yourself short. You still need to run a great race to PR. Don't assume it's in the bag! Go for the PR-either one.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Joann Y

As Tchuck pointed out, don't take the PR for granted. How are you going to feel after the marathon? Are you taking time off? Will you be doing workouts? How will you recover? Will you gain any weight? Honestly, just pick one of the two races, do it as fast as you can and enjoy yourself. I wouldn't expect a PR.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Also, unlikely 200 ft [drop] will cut 20 sec off your time.

Well, it would if it were all at once right at the end of the race.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Do USATF course certification standards explain how to deal with a 200' cliff?

npaden

The race I'm planning on running just put out their official registration information and they've changed up their schedule a little.

They now have the 10K starting at 8:00 and the 5K race starting at 9:30.  That should help me out on doing these back to back.

Of course they added a new event this year also, at 10:30 they have a new 1 mile race.  I've always wanted to run a timed 1 mile race....  (It is a different route though so no big elevation drop on it.)

Now I'm thinking about signing up for all 3 races.  That would be really crazy!

npaden

I was just looking at the results from last year and realized it was the same guy that won both the 10K and the 5K races.

38:48 for the 10K and 18:02 for the 5K.  Pretty impressive!

If you ran your fastest 5k en route to PR'ing a 10k, would you consider that a PR in the 5k too?? Or do you want an official race result

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

If you ran your fastest 5k en route to PR'ing a 10k, would you consider that a PR in the 5k too?? Or do you want an official race result

There have been a few threads on this subject. I think the general consensus is that if you take it from the beginning of the race, and If there is a timing pad at the 5k distance, you can count it. But I'm not aware of many 10k races that give you a 5k split. And anyway the other general consensus is that you can do whatever TF you want, but prepare for the internet to judge you on it.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

prepare for the internet to judge you on it.

Nooo!

Charles G

That was my favorite racing distance. Felt in my gut more than any other distance.