5K in exactly 4 weeks (Read 129 times)

Linda

Should I incorporate speed work with only 4 weeks to go or just run as much as possible?  If speed work would make a difference at this late date, what should I do?  I have access to a track, I could really do anything.  I run anywhere from 20-40 miles a week, but I probably average around 30. Almost every run I do incorporates hills, because I live in a hilly area.  I have been hesitant to do speed work, because I seem to always get hurt, but this is probably my last 5K of the season before I start training for a 1/2 in the fall, so maybe.  I'm 40+--always ran a little, but running more the last 5 years.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

SMART Approach

Don't go crazy with speed work based in your history. Do this over next 4 weeks, just once per week. Faster and more is not better. Listen to your body.

4 x 800m at 5k paced effort. 2 min jog between. Take 3 min if you need it. First rep closer to 1/2 mar/10k effort. Jog 3 min then 3-4 x 200m at fast pace

5 x 800m.       Same

5 x 800m.        Same

3 x 800m tues/wed of race week

I would have no issue if you did most of these reps at 10k effort and focus on 5k pace last rep.

Do striders or hill surges at end of another run during week. At end of long run, do last couple miles faster but not killer and only if feeling good.

This is all you need. If this feels like a lot or too much, back off. It doesn't take much to sharpen up.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Linda

Thanks Tchuck.  Sounds good.

Linda

Update:  I did not reach my time goal, but I basically didn't train too much in the 4 weeks.  I raced three 5Ks, but I only did two sets of intervals.  Weirdly, although my time was slow, competitively I did better than I ever have in this race.  I took 3rd overall female and first in my age group.  I was 20 of about 500.  Notice the little girl in the middle.  She showed us all up.  She was amazing!