I ran my first marathon!!! (Read 782 times)

Treadmill Addict

Hi everyone. You probably don't recognize me. I'm more of a lurker for almost a year here, but I post in one of the sub-forums mostly. I have really loved reading here, learning, and just enjoying everything about running and the people who do it. : ) 

I started running last August, so just under 10 months ago. Running a marathon has always been something I've wanted to do since I was younger, but never really knew if I could do it or not. I have two kids, and 10 months ago I felt like a complete out of shape, lazy marshmallow. So I decided to change it, even if it meant going to the gym almost every night. (Yes, I'm a treadmill runner.) People acted like I was crazy back in December when I told them I was planning on doing the San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon. (Yesterday, May 31st.) I was determined and stuck to the training though! Eventually the miles became easier, and I could feel my cardio improving a LOT.  I used the Hal Higdon Intermediate I training plan. I've NEVER done a run longer than a half marathon without taking some short walking breaks, so I thought I might have to during a 26.2 race. But I didn't! No walking! I kept steady the whole way, and here's my summary-

- Woke up at 5am, got to the shuttle at 6. 

- Roads were closed, so we got dropped off, had to walk a mile or so to the start line.

- Weather was overcast, light rain, perfect. 

- I wore a hat, and I'm glad I did since it was raining. 

- Miles 1-7 through downtown, lots of little grade hills. 

- Saw a lady totally eat the pavement. Ouch. Don't think she continued. Felt bad for her!

- Lots of Elvis runners, a guy in only a grass skirt, a couple barefoot, lots of funny signs. (My favorite was "Run Bitches." Haha.) Smile

- Miles 7-10 was all uphill. An old man dressed like superman helped us all up the hill with his super powers.

- Cool scenery through little neighborhoods. 

- Got half an otterpop from some little kids passing them out near mile 18. Those were awesome. The BEST.

- Kept wondering when it would get really hard. (I had read so many horror stories!) 

- Got harder around mile 23, but not bad. 

-Never felt like walking, I think the crowds and lots of runners around me were great motivators.

- Last mile into a marine corps base. Sexy guys in uniforms cheering us on. Cool. : )

- Dh and the kids saw me just after I crossed the finish line. Really nice to have them there. (And dh is sexy, but he wasn't in a uniform. I'll have to suggest that to him.) 

- Official Finish time 4:36:37 (My secret goal was 4:30, but I was planning on anything under 5 being great.

- No walking breaks! None! I feel tough now! Good job heart, good job lungs and circulatory system. 

-Oh, and I was already planning my race report around mile 10, haha. 

-Next marathon- 4 months away! (St. George) 

Here's my time report-

[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/abbysmommy24/Picture1-4.png[/IMG]

Here is a photo of me and my 4 year old just after the race- 

MTA- My daughter has left over face paint from Sea World the day before, and her hair isn't brushed. This is what happens when it's dh's job to get the kids ready. She's also wearing her brothers pants. He's 2. Great job, dh. Haha.

[IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/abbysmommy24/IMG_0529-1.jpg[/IMG]

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Another Passion

Fixed.

Congratulations on your first marathon, Sarah!  That is an awesome accomplishment in such a short time and a great time for a first marathon!  Great job and great report!  Continued success to you. 

MTA:  Very cute daughter you have there. 

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

thumbs up!

Good for you!

Congrats on a fantastic first marathon with a great time.

2010 Goals
        1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
        2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
        3. sub 30 min 5k
        4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10

Treadmill Addict

Thanks you guys! : ) I do feel pretty cool! Can't wait for the next one...

Sarah (37)

Another Passion

Looks fine to me.  Wink

Rick

Treadmill Addict

Thanks Rick! I resized it a bit more, and now it looks fine to me too! Smile

Sarah (37)

great race and nice pic with your daughter ... its a keeper!

I thought I was in pretty good shape at the finish but you look really good and ready for a few more miles.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Sarah, congrats on the marathon!  GREAT JOB!

Falling is easy, it's getting back up that becomes the problem ~Staind

chrimbler

Way to go Sarah, sounds like you had a blast!
                    Run like you stole it!

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Congrats on  your first marathon! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

It is tough to see people eat pavement, kinda does a number on you mentally.

Good job on staying tough through those last few miles.

Funny thing about DHs getting the kids dressed. Mine were at mile 19, we live 4 blocks up the street, my 3 year old was wearing shorts and bright blue rubber rain boots.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

Another Passion

Congrats on  your first marathon! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

It is tough to see people eat pavement, kinda does a number on you mentally.

Good job on staying tough through those last few miles.

Funny thing about DHs getting the kids dressed. Mine were at mile 19, we live 4 blocks up the street, my 3 year old was wearing shorts and bright blue rubber rain boots.

You should have seen some of the sylin' hair dews I gave my two girls when they were little when DW was not around to take care of such things.  I couldn't put in a pony tail if my life depended on it!!  Always got the job done though, even if it weren't purty!    

Rick