Sports bras vs binding (Read 401 times)

Morgana

So, I'm very new here.  Not new to running, but it's been enough years that I'm having all new problems starting up.

What are the larger-busted ladies here wearing to keep things in place?  I am considering some kind of binding - is anyone doing that, and if so is there anything I should know. 

I'm about a 42DD, and at 49 years old, not firm at all anymore I am overweight, but don't seem to lose a lot up top when I do lose.  They bother me in a number of ways when I'm at anything more than a rapid walk, and even then they move around more than I'd like.  I don't want them to move at all if that's possible.

In years past, I was able to get away with regular sports bras, but this is no longer the case apparently.  I just purchased two Champion bras that were labeled "MAX SUPPORT".  I tried them on and jumped up and down a bit. The fit was good, the support seemed good, but I wonder how long they will keep their supportiveness with regular washing.

Has anyone tried any of the binding straps they use for compression after breast surgery?

Thanks!

Morgana

kilkee

runktrun

Hi Morgana,

Full disclosure:  I don't have big boobs, BUT I used to work in a specialty running store.  Our best brand of sports bras (re: the ones all the ladies loved) were Moving Comfort.  I have a few smaller size ones and they have held up well in the wash.  They have DD and E sizes, in limited styles, some with molded cups and some as shelf bras, for the uni-boob look.  They are part of Brooks now. http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/moving-comfort-sports-bras/?prefn1=cupsize&prefv1=DD&filterstate=closed

If you haven't already, see if you can get into a running store to try them on in person and work with an associate to get the right fit.  I've also known busty girls to wear a tight tank over their bra for a little more overall compression.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Hi Morgana. I started running at a 42DD and have moved down to a 36DD over a couple years. The only thing I've found that works for me is doubling up. Currently I'm wearing a softer (medium support?) Champion that gives ample coverage but little support, and then over that a Nike high support that doesn't give full coverage but provides much more support. The Champion holds the parts the Nike doesn't cover in place, and protects my skin from the Nike that would otherwise be a chafing nightmare.

I have struggled with the moving comfort brand, as the models they carry locally all have back hooks and I struggle to get the leverage needed to get them hooked without help. I did find one I could get into more easily.  It's great for yoga, but not enough support on it's own for running. Maybe after I lose a little more weight.

kilkee

runktrun

Yeah, the fact that almost all of them have hooks irks me...

I've also started wearing New Balance and like the support - maybe it translates to larger sizes as well, but there is a decent amount of stitching that could potentially chafe.  Also, don't be shy about asking the running store to order items that they don't regularly stock.  If you see something online or in a catalogue that might work, ask!  At our store, we were always happy to place special orders.  Even if you don't like it, they can return it without much of a loss, and happy runners is usually the ultimate goal of most specialty running stores!  Sorry I don't have more specific recommendations. :P

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Depending upon the bra I'm a 34D/32DD (this is AFTER reduction surgery almost 12 years ago *sigh*).  The bras I've found to support best have underwires...compression AND encapsulation.  I currently have 3 different models: Chantelle, Panache (these bras are nearly identical and I suspect may be made by 1 company and simply re-labeled for the other) and the Moving Comfort Maia.  I think the Maia controls the best, but it's really the only MC bra that I've had any luck with in terms of comfort and support.

I used to like a Champion bra (Shape Scoop Back Sports Bra 6843), but they stopped making it and nothing else they make currently offers the same level of support.  It was very similar to the MC Maia.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

34D/32DD here too. I can recommend moving comfort Juno (I prefer racer back bras, ymmv!). Shock absorber bras are also good, they come in larger sizes and offer full coverage, but the moving comfort ones are more flattering imo.

Honestly, I'm not sure there is a solution to the bouncing issue. Some movement is inevitable, even doubling up.

Kalsarikännit

I have heard about Enell bras for years.  They are supposed to be super industrial up to letters not found near the start of the alphabet.

I am not as endowed as some of the ladies here, but I am still a huge fan of the Maia. I just picked a new one up a few weeks ago.  Brooks (who bought out MC) is having a sale on two of the old colors. $27.20 with free shipping is a pretty great deal for a $60 bra. There are limited sizes left, but it is worth checking out. http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/maia-sports-bra/350054.html

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

i LOVE IT, girls talking about boobs and bras.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cheap!!  And in my size, thanks WG!!

BTW, any idea how the buyout might affect the MC product line?

~ Sarah Kay

Kalsarikännit

Cheap!!  And in my size, thanks WG!!

BTW, any idea how the buyout might affect the MC product line?

I think this took place 5+ years ago.

Much more horrifying is AB's purchase of Founders.  Much like wearing a too-snug compression bra, I am crushed.

Kalsarikännit

i LOVE IT, girls talking about boobs and bras.

Well, it really can't top our thread about the lingerie pillow-fight two weeks ago.

You saw that, right?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think this took place 5+ years ago.

Much more horrifying is AB's purchase of Founders.  Much like wearing a too-snug compression bra, I am crushed.

Ahhh...so clearly no real change with MC.  I hope that will be the case with Founders, too, but that never seems to happen when big beer buys little beer.

~ Sarah Kay

#artbydmcbride

Well, it really can't top our thread about the lingerie pillow-fight two weeks ago.

You saw that, right?

That was epic!  Especially with all the pictures.

Runners run

Much more horrifying is AB's purchase of Founders.  

Wait, what??? When did this happen? I can't get Founders anymore since I moved out to the NW, but they were my absolute favorite brewery in MI.

Dave

Prince of Fatness

Wait, what??? When did this happen? I can't get Founders anymore since I moved out to the NW, but they were my absolute favorite brewery in MI.

http://allaboutbeer.com/founders-brewing-co-sells-partial-ownership-spanish-brewer-mahou-san-miguel/

Not AB Inbev.

Not at it at all.