Sub 17 5k! (Read 2204 times)

When I got back into running in '06, my only goal was to break 5 minutes in the mile... just to see if I could still do it. In '07, I decided to try to run 1000 miles and along with the increased mileage came some faster times. I accomplished that 1 mile goal in July of '07 and I was stoked. I also somehow managed to break 18 minutes in a handful of 5ks and it made me wonder just how much I could regain from my younger years. I'm excited to report that I was able to break 17 minutes in a 5k a little over a week ago! I ran a 16:58 and finished in 2nd place overall in the Arnold 5k in Columbus, OH. The last time I broke 17 minutes in a 5k was at age 17... in 1992!!! Big grin Woohoo!!! Here's the race report I entered for my log. http://www.runningahead.com/logs/ea2a642afc7040528349847095e60069/workouts/072c42ad16ff436194c22dc4ad1e1a51

Lazy idiot

DUDE! A 16:58 race on 8/10 effort?!? Very nice. Congrats. I expect you to be picking up more hardware around town, now. And I'm still planning on hitting a CRC workout (and then some) this spring/summer.

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

That's awesome. You gotta love the breakthrough races. Way to go out with confidence!
          Congratulations! That is awesome! Yes

Michelle

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations! What a great time! I will tell my 15-year-old son about that. That's his next goal.
              Sweet. I remember when sub 5 was still on your plate. Great work. I'm debating tacking a crack at sub-17 this spring/summer. I ran 17:00 in 2004 and that one second has haunted me ever since.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

As a 37-year old who just got back into running in '07, I find this particularly inspirational. I haven't been in sub-17 shape since 1995, but you've got me believing I can do it. Looking at your log, you've also got me believing I need to run more miles. Nice job!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Congratulations plus a picture with Wolf from American Gladiators? Bravo. Splits (I think): 5:08 - 5:35 - 5:48. If you can figure out a way to negative your next one you can pop off a very nice one. Unless I'm not factoring in hills that made the last half much harder. Excellent race.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Splits (I think): 5:08 - 5:35 - 5:48. If you can figure out a way to negative your next one you can pop off a very nice one. Unless I'm not factoring in hills that made the last half much harder. Excellent race.
                    Ooh, good point. 16:58 averages out to 5:28/mile, so if you can run your first mile closer to that and stay even or go negative, you'll run well under 17:00.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Wow. Awe inspiring.
                      Brandon

The Greatest of All Time

Great job!!!
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          Congratulations - keep up the good work
                            Awesome. Hope I can get there one day.
                              Thank you to everyone for the congrats! Blush
                                DUDE! A 16:58 race on 8/10 effort?!? Very nice. Congrats. I expect you to be picking up more hardware around town, now. And I'm still planning on hitting a CRC workout (and then some) this spring/summer.
                                Hey, Drew... I definitely look forward to seeing you at future CRC group runs. I was wondering if you were still considering it. I'm glad to hear it!