Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

aaannndddd my likelihood of getting some for my next race has dropped significantly.

Thanks for sharing your experience Elizabeth.  If I did get some I'd need to use them for a few long runs, but that would be a big risk in the last month before a goal race.  The chances of injury are probably not high but it feels like a big risk if I'm close to PR shape.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

aaannndddd my likelihood of getting some for my next race has dropped significantly.

Thanks for sharing your experience Elizabeth.  If I did get some I'd need to use them for a few long runs, but that would be a big risk in the last month before a goal race.  The chances of injury are probably not high but it feels like a big risk if I'm close to PR shape.

If I had it to do over again, I would not have worn the Vaporfly Next at CIM. It was too humid, I bonked, so I didn't even get the benefit. Now, if I had run the race of my life. . . that would be another story. But I really got no benefit from them - just the tendonitis.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Okay so this is where it reaches super creepy level - I saw you taking that picture, that's why I picked you out of the crowd...

Anyway, on a less creepy note, my CIM went very well (ran my new 2:36 PR there). It definitely was humid, and I was sweating way more than I wanted to early on, but I held on okay. If you don't do well in any sort of warm/humid weather, I can see why you may not have succeeded with that kind of weather.

Glad to have you on this thread!

Steve - you should try them after your goal race then if you're that worried, seems like a reasonable path

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cosigning all of the above on the need to RACE.

In every race, there is a point where you ask yourself a question, and then answer it.  Racing regularly lets you practice answering that question correctly.  Using races as workouts does not.

I'm doomed. As much as I talk to myself during races I must not ask the question I assume we're talking about. I believe it's more of a conversation involving me using profane language towards myself in regards to the lack of concern I have towards the uncomfortable feeling I'm starting to experience. The 6 words are NOT "Trust the training. Run your race."

I also can't remember my last half marathon race. I seriously think it was a 1:40 at San Francisco Rock and Roll when they started on the West end of town (Bay to Breakers Finish area) and I thought it would be a flat course.

200 m repeats are kind of a PITA. It's short enough to suck and I don't feel like I had to mentally prepare myself for it like I do 400s. Is there much of a difference in doing 100s, 200s, or 400s if they're all pretty much the same pace? 41 second 200 vs 82 second 400 just seems TO ME to be the same. I guess having less time to recover made it different mentally because I was doing a hard run more frequently so less recovery brought the mental suck. Physically it didn't seem any harder or easier than 400s.

Vaporflys I'll probably wait until my next goal marathon to buy them. I'm TEMPTED to buy them for a half. It just doesn't seem like they're going to be worth it and I had the money to buy a pair given to me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

Copy/paste from marathon thread

Ayy what up just popping in to update that I have a heel spur. No clue on recovery time yet - I stopped running 2 weeks ago with the onset of familiar PF symptoms, my hunch was confirmed by my podiatrist yesterday but the spur on X-ray totally blindsided me. Good news I guess is that I'm already ahead of the game on rehab, bad news is that 2 weeks hasn't really touched the pain - it still comes and goes pretty randomly. Anyway. That's probably the end of my spring season already, maybe the end of my year, hopefully not the end of my career.

zebano

Sorry to hear that Lauren. =( Hopefully you;'re just out another couple weeks and it doesn't set you back too much. You've made huge progress over the past year.

Brew, your feelings on 200s versus 400s baffles me but I figure it because I'm more fast twitch dominant. To me 200s are great and I often over-run them (i.e. 37 when Daniels says I should run a 42) and have no trouble recovering for the next one. I simply cannot do that on a 400 as the difference between a 74 and 84 feels massive and the perceived effort just explodes exponentially from about 150m to 400m.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

I guess I have fallen out of regular racing  even putting in a fast last km of a 5 mile training run leaves me asking questions.

Mrakers we would get on just fine. I would have to tone down some of my jokes. I am however a faithful husband of 27 years and devoted father so not all bad 

Flavio how is Italy? That's a big move. Now you can leave your running shoes outside the front door without fear of burglary.

Steve my wife and 2 daughters are in Christchurch this weekend settling one of them in for university.

I should get my first South island trip this year !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve my wife and 2 daughters are in Christchurch this weekend settling one of them in for university.

I should get my first South island trip this year !

Bad timing!  I'm up in Wellington and the Wairarapa this weekend.

Wait, a re-read suggests you yourself aren't coming...we can do a Hagley Park run when you come down.  Maybe a fast km at the end...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve I'd be keen to walk into a supermarket and drink a disguised beer, that's badass 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I'm putting off any buying of racing shoes until after March 30th when all the brands who are putting out shoes will have them out. I run in New balance so I hope they make a marathon shoe. I run in their fuel cell rebel and propel now...so I hope they do something like that. If I still ram track I would be all over that 5820.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

SNOW!!!

We got a really nice ~3in/7.62cm of snow overnight, that Mark would even be able to appreciate on his mountain adventures. Some of it clearly melted and refroze on the roads, so doing my workout on the treadmill this morning was a good call. School was cancelled, too, so now I'm trapped in the house (working from home) with the whole family going crazy.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JamesD

JamesD

I have raced really well in 20 degree weather...I would prefer 21 over 51, unless it was really windy.... 

Me too!  ...oh, you mean Farenheit.  Never mind.  Welcome to the board, and please keep posting, but I doubt we're going to be at any of the same races.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ha 3 inches causes you to stay home?? This proves you are part of the south: midwestern folks view 3 inches of snow as a sign of the summer coming. The south sees 3 inches of snow and shuts down all non-essential services for a week.

I discovered this morning that I'm about 5-7 pounds over racing weight. That alone will get me halfway to my marathon goal. I just need to stop eating so much crap, it's been very bad lately.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Ha 3 inches causes you to stay home?? This proves you are part of the south: midwestern folks view 3 inches of snow as a sign of the summer coming. The south sees 3 inches of snow and shuts down all non-essential services for a week.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

I discovered this morning that I'm about 5-7 pounds over racing weight. That alone will get me halfway to my marathon goal. I just need to stop eating so much crap, it's been very bad lately.

This is true. It snowed in Las Vegas and the Govoernor said all state employees could stay home. Up north we had to go to work in single digit temps to then be told "oh the governor sent out a tweet saying we can show up 2 hours late." Apparently the democratic governor took a note from the republican president about using twitter for official communication. Ignore the phone system setup to notify state employees of stuff like this.

5-7 pounds? Super Bowl (Sympathy) weight. Just cut out sugar, alcohol and caffeine. It isn't as bad as you'd expect.

Zebano I THINK I could have done some 37s or 38 and the ONLY thing holding me back is knowing "if you start out too fast it's going to end poorly The point isn't to run a fast 200." 400s just seem to be long enough I can't get away with running them too fast for too long. 200s just seemed like a sprint, but around 1 mile pace.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22