Relaxation--key to good running (Read 1420 times)

xor

Whether he is running Badwater, little marathon, or Boston... he seems like he is having more fun than pretty much anyone else.

Can't tell from that pic, but in his left hand is a magic wand.

Oh yeah.

I was passed - can you believe it? - by some elites doing an easy run and that's what I noticed. Their running was absolutely effortless and relaxed. Very, very light on the feet. What I notice too is that if I smile I feel more relaxed as I run and a lot more comfortable.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Their running was absolutely effortless and relaxed. Very, very light on the feet. 

Very true - I've seen the elite pack running up close at the Paris Marathon - amazing how easy they look for the speed they're going.

Of course part of being light on the feet is just being light  - elite distance runners tend to have low BMIs and few of them are tall.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

. . .  and few of them are tall.

this.

I'd love to see how more > 6' 1" Elites look.  I'm sure they still look effortless going their Easy sub-6:00 speeds.  But I doubt they look like little ninja dynamos -- all compact and full of grace.

Yes, I'm tall -- looking for a role model or two.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

this.

I'd love to see how more > 6' 1" Elites look.  I'm sure they still look effortless going their Easy sub-6:00 speeds.  But I doubt they look like little ninja dynamos -- all compact and full of grace.

Yes, I'm tall -- looking for a role model or two.

I fear that you'll find very few tall really top class distance runners. The tallest person to break 27 mins for the 10000m is Chris Solinsky at 6'1". Paul Tergat was only half an inch off 6'.

More here: http://www.letsrun.com/2010/heightweight0504.php

Turbolegs

This guy runs pretty fast ... has breasted the tape before anybody else at Boston 4 times ..

MTA: I remembered this article from NY Times.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

I fear that you'll find very few tall really top class distance runners. The tallest person to break 27 mins for the 10000m is Chris Solinsky at 6'1". Paul Tergat was only half an inch off 6'.

More here: http://www.letsrun.com/2010/heightweight0504.php

I think you can count on one hand the number of sub-27 runners who are not from Africa.  So that is a rather limited pool.

I think Florida State (guessing on the school) had a guy recently who was 6'8" or so.  I suspect he could run in the 28's.  While it's not world class it's pretty damn fast.  I think his weight was about 180. 

That guy was really the far end of the bell curve.   

at 6'-5" you can find at least one guy who can blow the doors off a 4-minute mile. 

http://www.usatf.org/Athlete-Bios/Andrew-Wheating.aspx

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

From the NYT article: ". . . United States Masters swimming championship race (for people over age 25)"  Over 25?!

Well, now I know why I hold (held?) a pool record for Swimming, but never anything close for Running: 6' 3" -- long canoe.

Thanks for the tips, guys.  Cheruiyot - 6'1" 143lbs?  Oddly that's still (barely) in the BMI "normal" range -- which shows you how wacked BMI is.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Why is it sideways?

Height is I think less relevant than length of torso relative to the length of your legs.

I have a friend, good runner, who is 6'1" and weighs about 140--thing is, when we are seated I am actually taller than him. His height is all in his legs, which is why he weighs so little. The same probably goes for the taller of these Kenyan runners.

Of course, even more important than height or any of this stuff is the engine inside. If you've got a big old lumpin' cantaloupe heart throbbing around in that chest, you're gonna be able to make any body move.

I think you can count on one hand the number of sub-27 runners who are not from Africa.  So that is a rather limited pool.

Whether they're from Africa or not isn't really the point. There are plenty of tall guys in Kenya... 

I'm not saying that you can't be a good runner if you're tall - but the evidence is that it doesn't work in your favour.

I'd read years ago that the difference in heights among people is found mainly in femur length.  Within reason, of course.

Don Kardong was 6'3" (maybe still is), which didn't stop him from finishing 4th in Montreal '76.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Think Whirled Peas

...If you've got a big old lumpin' cantaloupe heart throbbing around in that chest, you're gonna be able to make any body move.

It's safe to assume "big old lumpin' cantaloupe heart" does NOT equal "massive watermelon belly", correct? Too bad, for a second I thought i had a chance!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>