How to beat the heat? (Read 800 times)

rockintrax

Okay - basically the title is the question - what do you guys do with your runs when it gets really abnormally hot outside? Usually if it's a really hot day I only run early in the morning or in the late evening, which normally works for me. Hot days are pretty rare around here and if it's in the 90's it usually doesn't stay that way for over 2 days. But this weekend it was hot and humid - over 85 for 4 days straight, and running in the early morning (at 7 AM) only seemed to help a little. It then got cooler, for a whole day - and then jumped back up into the 90's for the last two days. One evening there was enough of a breeze that I did a longer set of tempos, but other than that, my mileage has dropped down to 2-3.5 miles a day. Any ideas on how to deal with the heat?
    Steph
    Tyler S

Other than shortening the distance you run or running at a slower place (something I don't do) might help. I usually go just at night or skip a really hot day. I'm young, so I guess I can just "deal" with it. But my 9 mile long run the other day, was brutal, 85-90 degree heat on the road for like an hour and 10 minutes. Next time I won't start my run at 10:45 am Roll eyes
        You don't "beat" the heat. You adjust to it. To some extent, your body will adapt....it takes a couple of weks after summer heat sets in. However, it will not become able to handle 90 degrees the same way it handles 50....or even 70....degrees. It is necessary to adjust training and racing paces. Most training pace guidelines that most runners use, such as running calculators, Daniels' VDOT tables, et., do not include a summer weather adjustment factor. (An exception is the Runworks calculator which does include a feature to adjust pace to temperature.) However, they do state that their guidelines are based on a recent race performance, which will usually bear some relationship to the seasonal conditions in which you are training. That, along with adjusting training paces as you become fitter, are good reasons to run a 5-10k race periodically....about once a month is good. You can moderate the effect of high outdoor summer temp and/or humidity by running early in the morning when it is cooler (although that is often the worst time of the day for humidity), late in the evenming when both temp and humidity are likely to be lower, or indoors on a treadmill or an indoor track.
          run very early, or very late. Hydrate, and stay in the shade as much as possible.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I like the heat and don't mind the humidity, but it does tire me out... This past week I set a new PR -- 32oz of gatorade plus 52oz (two bottles) of water in one track workout -- yay Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Sticking to heavily shaded paths works the best for me in the summer. I can deal with the heat and humidity as long as the sun is not beating down on me.
                I live in Texas and every day has been over 100 degrees. Yesterday when I was running at 8:30pm it was still 94 degrees outside. I would have to wait until midnight to run for it to be in the 80s. I typically just suck it up and go running at anytime - usually around 2pm -4pm for me, because it fits my schedule best. It's hot, but whatever doesn't kill you makes your stronger right? Tongue I just make sure to drink plenty of water an hour or two before my run, then pee right before I leave the house.
                Don't look at me, I'm just here to run.
                  I do the majority of my running on week days at lunch time. It's just too hot here to get a quality run in outside at noon, so I've gotten used to hitting the treadmill pretty often these days. I work from home and have a treadmill here though, so it's really easy for me to run 5 or 6 miles on it while I watch TV then jump in the shower.
                  Ringmaster

I guess it's personal, to some degree. If I don't get out by 5:30, I don't go outside and do the 'mill instead. My dh hates early morning b/c of the humidity; he thinks evenings are better. My pace was off by as much as a minute at first and I took a lot (A LOT) of walking breaks. I'm not taking walk breaks any more, but I'm still slower than I was in the winter (we only have two seasons in FL). I'm also hydrating more, and eperimenting electrolyte-replacement products for the first time on long runs. Heck, I didn't even drink Gatorade when I trained for my February half. I got a waist pack for my anniversary today (!) so I'm not tied to water fountains on my runs anymore. It's climbing into the 80s as I'm into my one hour runs so I'm drinking even though I'm not thirsty.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

Swadvad

My schedule won't allow early morning, so I try to wait until dusk and run in a nearby neighborhood with sidewalks so I can get out of traffic if I need to. The only problem is that the bugs get real active at dusk. I've inhaled quite a few at that time of day. An air conditioned gym with a treadmill might be a temporary answer.

Along for the Ride

Move to the Pacific Northwest ... it is currently 56 degrees and cloudy. Big grin I know that wasn't helpful... I am glad that we live in a very temperate climate. Not too cold in the winter and not too hot in the summer. The drawback is that I could not ever run any of the hotter races ... I would melt. Stay hydrated you guys and keep on going! Be it early morning, late evening or the "dreadmill" at the gym.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Half Fanatic #846

Here in N. Fla. the average temp/humidity at 7:00 AM recently has been 74/91 - the temp. rises quickly, too. Tongue The way I've been trying to deal with it is: 1. Hydrate enough the afternoon and night before 2. Get out early (for me by 6:30 AM) 3. Pick the most shaded route I can 4. Wear a head covering and or a sweatband 5. Take plenty of fluids with me or have plenty stashed 6. Slow my pace - the hotter, the slower 7. Monitor my heart rate w/a HRM and keep it low 8. Walk if necessary (rare) to keep from overheating 9. Eat an energy gel more frequently on longer runs 10. Stop immediately if I feel suddenly overheated/flushed (it's happened twice) And yes, planning to move to the cooler northwest when I retire... Big grin

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have discovered trails. 8 miles 89 F in the shade. However, I did come close to running over a snake. In went back into the water. I BESSED HIM. Surprised

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I live in Massachusetts where it can be very cold in winter, but hot and humid in the summer. 90 degrees and 90% humidity or higher in july and aug are pretty common and very hard to run in - it can also be hotter and more humid sometimes. I normally prefer to run at lunch time or as soon as I get home from work (about 5:30pm or so) but sometime its just to hot to do so....so for the next few months, I will get up and run at a 5:45am (which is what I did this morning) and if business or what ever get in the way of my Am run (as they often do), then after I get home from work, I put on my runing garb and go the the local YMCA which has some really fantastic treadmills. I don't really like running on a treadmill (in a room with air conditioning), but it beats running when the air outside is just to hot or unhealthy. Its not what I really like, but at least i get the run in, on a day that I would otherwise either have had a bad run or end up taking the day off. JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching