Grunewald DQ Fiasco (Read 180 times)

Tiefsa

Have any of you been following this?  The USATF said Grunewald won the 3k championship, and then later said she was disqualified.

The story sounds like it is straight out of the WWE with Salazar playing the heel.

Track Runners React to decision

mikeymike

The Internet won:

BREAKING: Grunewald reinstated as USA indoor women’s 3,000m champion: http://www.usatf.org/News/83.aspx

Runners run

Running Rev'd

Yeah, I saw everything blow up on Twitter. Glad she's been reinstated as the winner, but it seems like there are still some conversations that need to be had re: corruption, etc. One of my friends from graduate school is on the USATF social media team, and I'd love to pick her brain about it but I doubt she would say much!

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

Just a dude.

Sounds like Jordan Hasay understands more about sportmanship than her coach...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Tiefsa

I understand that as a coach you want to fight for your athlete, but I watched the race.  There really wasn't enough there for the DQ.  Besides.  Hasay got killed in the last lap.  She never went down.  She could have fought for second or third at least, but she looked dead.

Feeling the growl again

Just when you think USATF has sunk as low as possible, they find new ways to dig a hole...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I understand that as a coach you want to fight for your athlete, but I watched the race.  There really wasn't enough there for the DQ.  Besides.  Hasay got killed in the last lap.  She never went down.  She could have fought for second or third at least, but she looked dead.

Well this gets to the two parts of it, intent and impact.  Pretty clear there was no intent to impede.  And the contact cost her nothing -- in fact she probably got hit because she was slowing down more than Grunewald expected and she simply ran up on her by surprise.  Contact or no contact, she was going to get destroyed in that last lap.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

HermosaBoy

Well this gets to the two parts of it, intent and impact.  Pretty clear there was no intent to impede.  And the contact cost her nothing -- in fact she probably got hit because she was slowing down more than Grunewald expected and she simply ran up on her by surprise.  Contact or no contact, she was going to get destroyed in that last lap.

My only comment was that Gabe really needs to learn how to pass -- she did the same thing to Rowbury on the back stretch.

If you are gaining on someone, move out to lane 2 and pass...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

My only comment was that Gabe really needs to learn how to pass -- she did the same thing to Rowbury on the back stretch.

Yeah, but then you run the risk

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Walk-Jogger

Yeah, but then you run the risk

LOL - thanks for posting that link - I had forgotten all about that incident.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Well, she's not exactly a newb, I give her some slack on this.  I don't think she anticipated how fast she was going to blow by them (particularly Hasay).  Spending more time than necessary in lane 2 on a 200m track is also pretty costly.

Feeling the growl again

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Besides.  . .  She never went down.  She could have fought for second or third at least, but she looked dead.

And so "The Flop" enters the track vocabulary. Sad

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

The replays I watched, it looked like GG stumbled on her own, before she was close enough to Rowbury to make contact.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

You'll ruin your knees!

And so "The Flop" enters the track vocabulary. Sad

...say hello to Dick Fosbury from 1968 Olympics (yep, I know this is "& Field", but still)...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)