Run in the winter and you will die, DIE I tell you (Read 334 times)

Feeling the growl again

FFS.

Amputation?  Really?

Get off my lawn, New York isn't even that bad for winter.

I kind of miss runs like the 20-miler where I curled up in the bottom of a ditch until I warmed up enough to run it in.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

That was awesome.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Prince of Fatness

New York isn't even that bad for winter.

Except for today.

And what do you expect from those conservative tools at Fox?

Not at it at all. 

Village people

Oh, brother.

SillyC

FFS.

Amputation?  Really?

Do you even know anyone that got frostbite running?  I'm serious here, I do not know a single person that did.  Ice fishing, ice climbing, snowmobiling, downhill skiing, yes....  but not cross country skiing or running.

Feeling the growl again

Except for today.

And what do you expect from those conservative tools at Fox?

Today is a once-in-a-blue-moon storm for sure.  But being from NY I think the author seemed to be afraid of more average weather.  And treadmills, for that matter.

I don't expect a lot from ANY media outlet.   They are ALL tools, biased, which is why I read a broad cross section and apply some personal thought to it.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Do you even know anyone that got frostbite running?  I'm serious here, I do not know a single person that did.  Ice fishing, ice climbing, snowmobiling, downhill skiing, yes....  but not cross country skiing or running.

Actual clinical frostbite resulting in enduring miscoloration of the affected extremity, no.  And I've lived in some cold, cold places.  Which was why the comment on amputation got me going.

The only thing I've heard people concerned about needing potential amputation from running had nothing to do with thicker gloves or boots...but wind briefs.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude. She's a psychiatrist. She knows what she's talking about w.r.t. sports medicine.

Feeling the growl again

Dude. She's a psychiatrist. She knows what she's talking about w.r.t. sports medicine.

It says physiatrist.  Not that it gives her any more credibility in my book, based on what she wrote.

SillyC

Actual clinical frostbite resulting in enduring miscoloration of the affected extremity, no.  And I've lived in some cold, cold places.  Which was why the comment on amputation got me going.

The only thing I've heard people concerned about needing potential amputation from running had nothing to do with thicker gloves or boots...but wind briefs.

I for one had NO IDEA before reading this article that I could fall on my rear by running in the snow.  I think I'm going to quit.

Golly, guess I shouldn't have done those hill fartleks today at about 2F on snow with light snow coming down.

Maybe somebody should warn the winter ultra racers - one race last weekend (100k, 200mi), another this weekend (50k, 100mi), and the long one the following weekend (350mi, 1000mi). Then the dogs the following weekend (iron dogs are this weekend).

Over the years, I think there's been a couple toes or fingers (tips) lost in those races, although most have recovered.

But, no, not running on the sidewalk in NYC.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        xhristopher

It's totally true. I died once in 2011 and once in 2013 on long runs in the snow. I remember those runs well. I was totally slayed.

Prince of Fatness

Today is a once-in-a-blue-moon storm for sure.  But being from NY I think the author seemed to be afraid of more average weather.  And treadmills, for that matter.

Actually the storm today wasn't that unusual.  The problem is that it comes on the heals of quite a few other storms (not as strong) and a couple of months of below average temperatures.  It has been a while since we have had a winter like this.  Maybe this lady reached her breaking point.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Actually the storm today wasn't that unusual.  The problem is that it comes on the heals of quite a few other storms (not as strong) and a couple of months of below average temperatures.  It has been a while since we have had a winter like this.  Maybe this lady reached her breaking point.

Yeah, we're inches away from the highest ever snowfall.  I kind of feel like we should just go for it.  But it kind of makes equating this winter to any other winter in the past 50 years irrelevant.

Walk-Jogger

I don't usually put much stock in Faux News, but I think she nailed it with this report.

Retired &  Loving It