Guess what? I'm a newbie!! (Read 796 times)

Hey everyone, I've just found this site and I've got to say I think it's amazing! I've been reading some of the posts on here and a few journals and it's so inspiring reading about all your successes - I'm very jealous and can't wait til I can run for as long and as far as you guys!! Anyway, getting to the point - I'm a new runner (literally went for my first run today and LOVED it) and I've got a few questions (surprise surprise!): 1. I've read on lots of different sites that carbs should be a runner's main source of energy, but I *hate* carby foods - I don't eat bread, rice, or potatoes, and get bored of pasta really easily (ie I can only have it once a week) - so is there anything else I can try to up my carb intake, or does it not matter as much as I think? I eat really healthily other than that, I just naturally have a low-carb diet. Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks. 2. A more technical question, but possibly easier to answer - when I'm creating a new course in my training log, the mouse cursor disappears when I put it over the map. I can see it anywhere else on the page but it makes it really hard to create an accurate map! Anyone else have this problem? Any computery people able to suggest anything to stop this? Thanks in advance for all your help!! Debbie x

#artbydmcbride

There's always cake, cookies, pancakes and waffles! Big grin Oh and fruits and vegetables. Congratulations on your first ever run.

Runners run

I wouldnt worry about it much right now......if your just startiing out.......if you get up there in mileage and start training for long races (1.2 Marathon and Marathon) then you might want to reconsider your diet but for the immdiate future my feeliings are that it won't make much difference.

Champions are made when no one is watching

Thank you, that's helped put my mind to rest - good to know that I'm not going to collapse and die for not liking pasta!!

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Congratulations on catching the running bug. Have fun with it and yeah, I wouldn't get too hung up on % of carbs at this point. However, I wouldn't want to run on a low/no carb diet, personally. If I may say so, don't be in too big a hurry to advance. In my experience, the more gradually you ease into it, the longer you'll have to enjoy it without injury. I've been running off and on for many years, but my first ever run was more like 5 minutes - not miles Big grin Sorry I can't help with your courses question. I use another log for all my details. Just distances here. Take care! -- modified to add that my log reflects a complete "starting again" return to running after a rehabbing a torn calf muscle.
            ~ Fly ~
            Only as much as I dream can I be.
            veggies on the run
            monikam

I'm with others on this.. For now you will be fine, but if you ever start considering half or full marathon distances you better start liking variety of carby foods because fruits and vegetables won't do it alone... Congratulations on the new jurney and best of luck!! Smile
              Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28
                good to know that I'm not going to collapse and die for not liking pasta!!
                It NOT a requirement to like pasta just to be a runner....but it does help...... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Just Be

It NOT a requirement to like pasta just to be a runner....but it does help...... Big grin
                  I carb load on whole grain cereal. Big grin
                    I firmly believe if it comes to a point that your body needs more carbs your tastes will change and you will find carbs that you like.
                      I firmly believe if it comes to a point that your body needs more carbs your tastes will change and you will find carbs that you like.
                      Hmmm that's an interesting point, maybe it will? Anyway, thanks guys for all your great advice - I'm definitely not going to rush into this, I think I just got a bit overexcited on my first run, haha! It's hard to not push yourself as far as you can straight away but I'm going to try and follow the C-5K programme, and hopefully this will turn into a long-term thing Smile You guys are definitely an inspiration!
                        Looking at your profile... If you have been able to Cycle and Swim to your liking with your current diet, I don't see why you can't run on it also.